1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice for first Trap gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by astryx, May 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. astryx

astryx TS Member

Hi,

I am very new to the world of trap and would like advice on what should be my first trap shotgun.

I have used a semi-auto, O/U and a pump and prefer the semi or the O/U.

I have a limit of $2000.

I will never hunt with this shotgun; it is solely for sporting purposes.

A few I have looked at:

Browning Maxus Sporting (both "normal and carbon fibre)

Beretta AL391 Urika 2 Sporting KO Synthetic 12 Ga 3"

Remington Model 1100 Competition Synthetic & Model 11-87™ Sportsman® Super Mag Synthetic

Any feedback is appreciated and wanted ... also any other suggestions for a trap noob?

Be well

2. Macdaddy

Macdaddy Member

If your looking to shoot mostly trap and occasional sporting....then I would look very seriously at a new or slightly used Browning XT. just my opinion

that gun should be right in your price range

mac

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Try to find a nice used Remington 3200. That way you can shoot it before you buy it. If it breaks targets and is user friendly, you will be happy to buy it. HMB

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Iwould say fit is the most important thing at first, or a way to make it fit if you find something you like.

I would be looking for the XT Browning as mentioned or some version of the Citori Trap. If singles and handicap is all you are doing at this time pick up a BT-99. Both of these gun will last you at least half your lifetime if not more. I would buy it new or fairly new because some of the prices I've seen lately of used o/u's and BT's on here are just a few hundred from new prices.

If you have your heart set on an auto for trap buy an auto that is a trap auto. A sporting auto is set up different than one for trap. I can see being all reved up about the Browning Maxus auto (I like it also) but, it's not for trap. That Beretta 391 Sporting also is not for trap. The Remington you mention is a hunting gun. And a great gun for that purpose. Beretta has trap autos, try to find a Tekneys Trap, a Urika Trap Optima or a Urika Parallel Target version. These will shoot a bit higher and you will not have to loose sight or cover the target with these.

Your post sort of talks and hints about for trap but, is somewhat worded for sporting or hints as an all around gun at the same time. If you plan on shooting skeet, trap, sporting, 5-stand and all with one gun I wouldn't do it with a trap gun. Just go buy a good sporting o/u like a 525, 625, or one of the Beretta 600 series o/u's with a great selection of choke tubes. This will be all you need for whatever targets come along for the outing at the time. If you plan to shoot all the different target variations that's great. I can see going the sporting version of a gun if that is your plans.

5. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

When I decided to shoot targets, I bought a Browning Cynergy 30" Sporting that would be "acceptable" for Trap, Skeet, or Sporting. It gave me the flexability to shoot all three.

When I decided I liked Trap better than the other diciplines, I bought a dedicated trap gun, a Browning XT.

6. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Browning XT. Regards, Ed

7. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

Browning XT

Bud

8. Aintlost

Aintlost Member

If you are going to shoot single and caps, I would recommend a TM1, Beretta 687, or BT99, or if shooting all three desciplines I would buy a slightly used Rem 3200. Please be mindful that gun fit is the most important part of the purchase. Any of the above will fit in the budget. Try it before you buy, if they want let you try it, do you want to do business with them. I would not consider an auto, to much cleaning.

Lane

9. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I'll cast my vote for the XT as well. Used ones go for around 1800. or so.
    Quite a few on this site for sale from time to time.

S. auto, Beretta 391 or Rem. 1100.

If your considering a 3200, shoot one first. Recoil is a bit much for me.

Also, 30" barreled guns, for some reason, are usually priced a bit below 32" guns.

Regards....Gerald

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Another vote for the XT.

11. wtjohnso

wtjohnso Member

Another vote for the XT. Bought mine new in January, haven't regretted it one bit.

I shot a Citori Grade 3 Trap w/30" barrels twice before I bought the XT. So whatever you decide on, find a used one that you can shoot before you buy. Fit is extremely important.

P.S. If you buy a new Browning (break action), buy a tube of grease. All Brownings are extremely tight when new.

12. lancelot

lancelot Member

I've got to go with the Browning XT crowd.

I've got a Silver Sietz, and recently bought an XT for doubles. I'm pleased everyday to see how much value you get for your money.

Good luck and shooting. Ron Ireland

13. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

Look at the mono gun listed here by dhitt. Looks like a good choice at the top of you range. Tom

14. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Buy a good brand new lighter wt trap model Rem 1100/11-87. Barrel wt is very impt for good swing dynamics. Don't go to heavy,30". Will last a long time,easy to maintain,decent resale,great recoil reduction,find a good used stock & fit the stock to your needs for comb,buttplate,etc. Always a go to gun when you get into trouble. Heck I have 2 trap Perazzis,an LTX Ljutic & Bi-Gun,Caesar G Unsingle,Win unsingle,K-80 O/U. Shot the 1100 yesterday. And when it rains tomorrow,1100 again. Heck been shooting one of these puppies over 40 yrs. Take your time & find a nice one. Not too many negatives. A Beretta 391 or some such model would be a second choie here. Don't get a synthetic gun. They are just too darn ugly unless you shoot in the rain all the time. Great for ducks & geeses

15. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I will give you the same advice I got when I started shooting trap about 10 years ago. Buy a Beretta 390 and stick with it. I paid about $600 for mine, new. Since I have added a 32" barrel and a Soft Touch Stock and still shoot it very well. But, I bent over for the big boys and spend $30,000+ for Perazzis, Brownings, and DT 10 Berettas. I want you to know, you have limitations...eyes, reflexes and money for practice. If you start shooting 95 plus every time with the 390 and move back to about the 25yd line... you may need a DT 10 or some other big gun...but, don't get in a hurry. I could have saved a lot of money because my eyes and reflexes will never take me to the 27yd line. Take you time and read a few books and shoot a several thousand rounds before you get carried away.

And, Don't make the same mistake I did.

Good Luck.

JON

16. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Jon, I can somewhat see your point about the Beretta autoloaders, I have a few and love them for skeet and sporting type shooting. My opinion is they are the best target auto out there. I could make one of them a dedicated trap gun but wouldn't. I don't like using a shell catcher. Hats off to T&S it does work great at catching them. But, to be ethically correct to the trap world and I really don't feel like hearing any greif from a fellow shooter about shucking shells his way, which I despise having them shucked my way by a guy using an auto without a catcher also. So I don't shoot trap regularly with an auto. I love them as a backup gun and to shoot trap on occasion with.

I think you are waaaaaay off base about the $30,000 + for a trap gun, especially one of the "B" guns. The highest factory grade BT and Citori Trap isn't even $5,000 and a Browning and a Beretta Combo can be had for under $5,000. No need to scare the guy.

Every once in a while you get the tale of the guy who was the shooter of every high gun out there (Peruzzis, Lujics, CG's, and "K" guns) and settles back down to the old trusty 1100 for trap. I'd like to hear the full story on this. Why? and what am I missing?

17. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I have the Browning XT and will cast my vote for it as well as has been mentioned. I would also suggest you take a look at the Winchester Select Energy Trap. They are made by Browning in the old Liege factory in Belgium, have the old broadway rib and everyone who has looked at mine,(including the Graco people,) have ageed that it is a lot of gun for the money. You can buy one brand new for less than $1500. Jack

18. shadow

shadow Active Member

870 TB or an 870 Comp if you can find one.

19. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Spaky,

I was not clear. At one time I had about $30,000.00 cumlatively invested in Trap guns...not one gun. I had a hard time selling any of my guns and just kept trying to buy targets. I have sold most of them off, now. But, I keep the 390 and two DT 10s...because I have customized them and made them MINE. Sorry if I mislead.

JON

20. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Buy a used Ljutic Mono ot X73 and shoot it forever...JMHO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.