1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice for 45 pisto league

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joey S., Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey  S.

Joey S. TS Member

Yesturday was the first day of our 45 pistol league. I had never really shot pistol before and was surprised when I scored pretty well @ slow fire. I shot 4-10s Including an X, 2-9's, 3-8's and a 7. Timed fire and rapid fire was a totally different story. I shot one 8 at each the timed fire and rapid fire.
    The rest of the shots were all low evenly dispersed between 5's and 6's.
    I guess I'm bringing the gun low as I'm pulling the trigger. Any advice is appreciated. Note, I'm using open sites and all of the shooting is @ 25 yards.
    Thanks, Joe S.

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

My guess it that you shot the slow fire at a timed and rapid fire target, because that slow fire score is way too high. If I'm wrong I apologize.
    You also don't mention whether you were shooting one handed or two.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Look at the sights, not the target, and if you squeeze the trigger good things will happen. HMB

4. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

practice, practice, practice. a good start though, also all games are the same, same target, same distance; don't sweat the timing.

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Santajo123 I have provided you with a little tool to help you identify your mistakes.

If you are shooting off hand(one handed)this will tell you the most common mistakes by bullet location.

[​IMG]

For right handed shooters.

Bob Lawless

For left handed shooters.

I don't know where the third target came from but in my edit function I can't see to remove it but it is the same as picture 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Joey  S.

Joey S. TS Member

I'm shootig right handed. The pistol I'm using is a old gold cup series 7 with no mod's. The ammo is 185 gr non jacketed SWC bullets. The slow fire target was a different target from the timed and rapid fire targets (I'm not ruling out luck on the slow fire target). From the sample targets posted by Ivanho it looks like most shops were evenly distributed between breaking wrist down and squeezing whole hand with trigger pull (low center and low right center).
    thanks, Joe S.

7. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Ugggh, the Wheel of Misfortune strikes again. There's a hundred ways to get the errors they cite. Dump that, sorry.

Shots are low left for right handers, and reversed for lefties, because you are making the gun go off. Think of the shot as a continuum, not an instant. Build trigger pressure while you work to keep the sights aligned. Its a garden hose, not a camera. For starters, worry less about where you are pointing and focus on the trigger. It reverses later when trigger becomes subconscious.

Make it smooth and increasing. You point well naturally so a shot hi lo left right by a few inches with aligned sights is no problem. Mis aligned sights or trigger induced gun motion; big problem.

Lots of technical merit to pistol shooting.

Get on the Bullseye-L list at www bullseyepistol .com

Does that help you?

Best regards

NRA Outdoor Master
    CMP Distinguished (Service Pistol)
    Presidents 100 (Service Pistol)
    NRA Distinguished Revolver
    2006 NRA National Champion (Standard Pistol)
    USAS record holder (Free and Air)
    Crossman Silver Medalist, and more...

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Bruce Em I agree that every thing is learned in stages. I would also like to see that site in your link but I can't get it to work so I would like to ask you to check it again and make sure you haven't left something out. Thank you

Bob Lawless

9. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Thank you, your kindness is appreciated.

I started as a plinker and got into local leagues. Had good results and bad from what would appear to be the same efforts. Consistent success and proper technique was a mystery. Talked with the best I could find and got invited to bigger competitions, Struggled for a number of years with self training and then hit the big time at national competitions. Hooked up with our US National coach and others. I had a great opportunity to work with the best and I still work hard to really understand and apply what they told me. My wife allowed me to roll with it all the way into the Olympic trials where I had a top 10 finish and some National championship firsts as well. Pistol shooting is a passion and shotguns are great fun for me as well.

There really is so much counter intuitive method to it. It would almost be easier to think of what you want to do and achieve it by doing the exact opposite. I can, and do, talk for hours on the fundamentals and techniques to achieve those.

Back to shotguns, there seems to be even more ways to success all with benefits and drawbacks. will post separately with my questions to you on that.

best regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.