1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need advice- comb stinging cheek?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by acss, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i have a beretta auto 302 trap that has started to sting my cheek, even with lite loads. i shot this gun last summer in annie oakleys ect w/ heavy heavy loads, as well as many rounds of trap- and dont ever remember any pain!--this isnt recoil felt on the shoulder, but an actual stinging sensation on the cheek.--i had two other shooters try the gun and they had the same feeling! tron gave advice to change pitch of the stock- so today i put 2 quarters between stock and pad (on top), this cut it in 1/2.---------------------------why would this problem occur now, and not last season??----i moved the comb over, which didnt help?--i changed the return spring in the stock-- it didnt change anything? the stock is factory!! wally riebesell 660-744-4115

2. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Wally,

What you are suffering is commonly known as "cheek slap." It has a number of causes, one of which you addressed when you changed the pitch with washers.

You may not have used enough washers (chanaged the pitch enough). It is correct when the whole pad, top to bottom, makes simultaneous contact with your shoulder pocket as you mount the gun.

Cheek slap can be caused by a number of things but the wrong pitch is the most common.

The second most common is probably raising your cheek off the comb just before you fire.

Rollin

3. acss

but i dont get, why this didnt seem to occur before?-- i have had a truck load of 302 and 303's and never felt this "stinging".--now, i have had the sore cheek syndrome as well( mainly from break open guns), but not like this??

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Some people gain weight and become a little more "barrel" chested. They then require more pitch. I once had a young lady that got breast augmentation shortly after we fitted her stock. I had to increse the pitch on her gun by almost two inches. Problem solved.

Ed Yanchok

5. acss

ed- i understand why you did the change- i dont know what you mean by changing by 2"?---also , how cud i have several other shooters experiance the same stinging sensation? its not a bump or hit to the cheek-but a real sting! and rollin said i may be raising my head--which i will verify--thanks wally

6. johnboy

johnboy Member

I think Rollin is right about coming out of the gun causing cheek slap. I was caught on video doing this during a trap clinic. I also found the stick on pads an easy fix to cheek injury.

7. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Were you wearing extra clothing recently when the gun started to slap you versus last summer? Have you gained weight in the cheek and or chest area? Have you changed your form/style over the winter months?

As to the other two shooters. Did you forewarn them of the cheek slap prior to their evaluation?

8. gunstock202

gunstock202 TS Member

Wally,
    I can help in a few ways, I could install a nice soft comb that will allow for 4 way adjustment, or change the pitch on that recoil pad to send the recoil down away from your cheak. If your uncomfortable when your shooting, thats all your mind will be on. Before you know it your 25 has gone to an 18 and your buying release triggers to take care of that "flinch". Get ahold of me I'm less expensive than anyone out there.

Thanks,
    Adam
    208-669-1327

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Possibly your mounting the gun a little different than before? Tucking it into the shoulder pocket very lightly? Gripping the stock with a lighter touch? It must be something has changed in the way you handle the gun if nothing else has changed, weight gain, more clothing, not controlling the gun with your trigger hand,placing your cheek lightly or different than before, etc..

I'd guess when you shot those bigger loads prior, you got a good firm grip and mount on your thunderstick?? Hap

10. acss

thanks for all the comments - i think everyone is somewhat right!! adam - i will keep you in mind--thanks wally

11. Shell Shucker

Shell Shucker TS Member

Wally;

The major source of cheek slap is caused by guns with too much pitch in the
    stock. All of the major gunmakers build their shotguns this way for reasons
    known only to them. Only one guy built a zero-pitch, flat line recoil trap
    gun and that was Al Ljutic with his Space Gun. Unfortunately, he never sold
    more than about 200 of 'em because of their styling and high price for most
    shooters.

But thanks to the aftermarket you can assemble your own "Space Gun" using
    off the shelf parts and using everyday workhorse pumpguns such as the
    Remington 870, Mossberg 500 & 835 or Winchester 1200/1300 series.

Mesa Tactical and Cavalry Arms make pistol grip, high-tube stock adapters
    which take AR15/M4 Carbine butt stock assemblies which are instantly adjustable
    for length of pull. Mesa also offers the Enidine Shot Shock hydraulic recoil
    buffer which replaces the stock AR buffer tube that the stock slides over.
    This recoil buffer reduces felt recoil by 70 percent and makes a 300 shot event
    virtually painless.

Top this off with a good quality red dot or holographic sight and you have a
    truely modern trap gun that will let you concentrate on the target without
    thought of discomfort. A setup like this is perfect for traning young shooters
    and ladies who shy from recoil. Once you poke 500 rounds or so through a setup
    like my guns pictured here, you'll probably sell your other singles trap guns.

Happy Blastin'

JJC

PS; Thanks for the inspiaration AL!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. acss

thanks- i will do a lil inspecting

13. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Hey Ed Y, any chance of some pics of the gal that got the boob job? Maybe some before and after. You know, just a concerned shooter trying to help.

14. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

so today i put 2 quarters between stock and pad (on top), this cut it in 1/2.

What does this cut it in 1/2 really mean ?? Also how did you know to put the spacers in the top ?? How much pitch did it have before you did check it right ? I,m having a problem understanding what you did and what happen then . Did you or did you not find out if it had pitch and if so how much and was it + or - . All this is information we need if we can help any .

15. USBP

USBP TS Member

ACSS: I had this problem with an adjustable stock I installed on a model 12 winchester. It began right after I replaced the old stock. The culprit on my stock is the two holes drilled on top of the adjustable comb. The two holes are pressed against my right cheek when I mount the gun and are used for adjusting the comb. I placed some tape over them and the "stinging" stopped immediately. Not sure of your stock configuration, but this is the cure I used.

16. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

In most instances, a soft comb addresses the symptoms, NOT the cause. I'd try experimenting with pitch.

17. acss

alf-- to be a lil clearer- i honestly dont know how to measure pitch. i read in a gun magazine that putting spacers or qtrs in between the pad gives a person an "idea" if pitch is the problem.-- this experiment did reduce the stinging sensation on my cheek by about 1/2. which was also the case for the other 2 shooters who were with me!-- so, yes i think i need to address the pitch thing--BUT- this is a factory stock and the same one i used last year!!! SO-WHY THE DIFFERANCE NOW? i am just as fat as i was last year- & using the same 1 oz new loads-!

18. acss

hey-steve-- here is the before pictures you requested-- i will search for the later ones!!
    [​IMG]

19. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Maybe you're just getting old and can't take the abuse any more in_that_area. Perhaps your gums are more sensitive or you have developed dental issues that you may or may not be aware of.

20. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

The pitch is correct when the whole pad, "top" to bottom, makes simultaneous contact with the shoulder pocket as the gun is mounted with the top of the pad on the collarbone (and the shooter is using his/her normal shooting posture).

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.