1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Advice: Choke Tube Dilemma

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by In plain view, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In plain view

In plain view Member

I shoot a TM1 Special, 35 Inch barrel. I have 4 Briley choke tubes. Bore is .0741 and have tubes at 21, 27, 32 & 37 constrictions. Seldom do I "smoke" a target regardless the powder, shell, primer or wad. I've used them all. Pattern board doesnt tell me much other than the fact my center core is nothing to brag about. I've used all 3 choke tubes and seem to get the best hits using number 21 tube. At the 26 yard line using the 37 tube my hits resemble using a skeet tube. My brain keeps telling me that because my barrel is backbored to 0741 I should have a tighter constriction to compensate for the backboring. It appears to me I need a tube smaller yet to compensate for the difference like maybe a 45-47 constriction tube. I might be chasing my tail but any thoughts would be appreciated. P.S. POI is not my problem. Thanks. Bob

2. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Bob,

What kind of shells are you using? Reloads or factory? What load and shot size?

The 35" TM barrels (most of them) came from Tom Wilkinson. The .740 bore would be about right for his work. Brley tubes can deliver great patterns however I would not trust the stamp on the tube, check the constriction with a good bore micrometer.

Some guns are just finicky about the shells they like! I had a k-80 that simply would not pattern with #8 shot yet shot lights out with 7.5'S...go figure. If you don't get hard hits with the .032 or the .037 I would say there might be an ammo issue, try some different brands of factory shells and see if that helps. Once you find a factory shell that works you can set up your reloads to approximate or even duplicate the results.

Best of luck,

Bob Schultz

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

24str8, didn't a[[ear to me that he was checking POI but rather doing a pattern analysis of shot distribution.

IN PLAIN VIEW, I would do as Bob stated and first check the constriction of the tubes.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Did you ever measure the diameter of the choke tubes? HMB

5. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Bob,

If you are a slow, deliberate shooter who lets the target get out there 40 yards or so, you aren't likely to smoke them with any choke.

6. In plain view

In plain view Member

Your input so far has been great and I will mic them tonight when I get home. The shell makes no difference as I've tried them all including reloads and factory. The barrel was backbored by Wilkinson and for awhile didnt like number 8 shot. Not sure what it likes now. I run a 94 average in singles and die at the 26 yard line. I've lowered by comb and raised it as well with no change. I shoot a release and I get on the target quite fast. I'm 72 years of age and not ready for the gravel pit quite yet. Bob

7. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

What's with the fascination with "SMOKE"?

Do they give you extra credit at your club for the elusive SMOKE? Can you walk into the club house with a 106 or something?

I've got Briley S2 chokes by Briley and the Wrights Briley S2 replacements. I smoke them with the Briley - but not with the Wrights. What I do get is a nice even break with the Wrights. No hot cores. Fewer chips.

I'll take 100 chips over 99 smoke balls any day.

8. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

BTW, your club shooting BIOS or Champions?

Good luck looking for smoke.

Here snipe ------ here snipe.........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.