1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need adj comb installed LH XT in SE Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by brian meyerhofer, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brian meyerhofer

brian meyerhofer TS Member

I just bought a LH XT with monto carlo stock and I need to have an adjustable comb installed. I cant get my head down where I want it. I live in se wi, where should I take this to get done? I would like to have good work with a quick turn around and maybe a little help fitting the gun to me.
    Brian brian442@yahoo.com

2. slickhead

slickhead Active Member

Get Joe Hollingworth. He will do you a good job with quick turn around.Also reasonable price

3. brian meyerhofer

where is he located and how do I contact him?

4. Bridger

Bridger Member

Larry Wehinger in Monroe can install an adjustable comb and do some fitting for you. 608-328-4339. He's been doing adjustable combs for probably 20 years and can do as nice of a job as anyone you could send it to. Kolar is another choice

5. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

There is a good gunsmith at the Muskego Gun Club, Muskego,Wi.
    I don't have his phone number.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Kolar is in Sturtevant/Racine WI... www.kolararms.com

Jay

7. tv-todd

tv-todd Member

Brian,where did you find left hand wood for your XT?is it factory?Thanks,Todd.

8. brian meyerhofer

I just bought a brand new left hand citori xt 32" from a dealer. Browning now makes the XT in LH but it only comes with the monto carlo stock and not the adjustable comb. Lower combs and high ribs work best for me and I can't get down on this monte carlo enough.

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Brian,

If the stock fits you well now, you might want to look into a add-on rib.

Just a litttle food for thought.

ec90t

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Adjustable stocks are designed mostly to raise the comb, not lower it. I also had an XT with a monte carlo stock that was too high for me. I couldn't see any way that an adjustable stock would work and I opted for a quarter inch add-on rib.

11. Bluerock1

Bluerock1 Member

Kolar has a great adjustabe comb.

Bill

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Where you are, Larry is the answer. I have a Green Bay guy available too who does escellent reasonable work.

HM

13. XXPowder

XXPowder Member

Call Pete Elison you can get his name a the Waukesha Gun Club, he is very good with stocks, he does a lot of good work! Much cheaper than Kolar!

14. brian meyerhofer

In regard to the adjusatble comb vs the add on rib. I am not a stock fitter, but I think when the stock is cut for the adj comb some material is lost from the saw cut and when it is put back together, with the comb at it's lowest postion the comb will actually be lower that what I started with. Am I not thinking correctly about this? An add on rib would only make my rib higher and would not allow me to adjust the comb if need be to fit me correctly. I thought best bang for the buck would be the adj comb to help the gun be easily adjustable to fit me better. Help me out on this guys.

15. rrose

rrose TS Member

I sugest you send it to Tron. He will turn it around in a day or 2 and he does good work reasonable. Suggest the add on rib,makes a huge difference to be able to keep your head upright to pick up the targets faster and better. If you go with the Keensights adjustable rib you will have the perfect set up and can adjust the POI with the rib and keep the comb set.

16. Dickgshot

Since I was dealing with the same problem as you on the same gun, this is what I saw the problem to be. Depending on how much you have to lower the stock, you're going to have to remove wood under the saw cut- which is not normally done. Since the stock is thinner at the comb, there would be a protruding edge in the stock when the comb was all the way down. You'd have to bevel that edge almost all the way to the throat of the stock. Then you have to refinish the stock.
    Also, when you lower the comb, effectively you might have to bring the butt of the stock higher on your shoulder, or get one of the adjustable pads.
    If the gun shoots too high for you, that might be a temporary problem if you're relatively new at trap. Newer shooters tend to ride the target out and shoot it when if flattens out or drops. When you get more experience, you'll start shooting the target on the rise, and you'll want that gun to shoot high.

17. brian meyerhofer

I sent am email off to Tron also. I will see what ideas he might have. Now I wonder if I need "learn to shoot the gun, add a rib, or cut the stock?

18. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

tron had some pics on here last week. he does good work from what i have seen and heard.jackmitch

19. Dickgshot

Go ahead and have a four way adjustable comb put on. It'll most likely help you fine tune the fit of your gun and it does enhance the gun's value if you ever sell it. If nothing else, an adjustable stock is something to fiddle with after a bad round - instead of just sitting there and sulking..

20. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Brian, I do as many "double cut" combs as not for the sporting clays crowd down here. They are easy to do and I don't charge any extra. On an XT, getting a 1/4" down movement is no big deal......

Ken Rucker....Speedbump Stockworks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pete elsen gun fitting

pete elsen gunsmith