1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a spreadsheet for score tracking

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Went to a MAC about a week ago. Our old excel spreadsheet won't work with a MAC.
    Anybody, have a spreadsheet program I can download that is compatible with MAC.

Thanx-Phil Berkowitz

2. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Phil,

I'm not a MAC guy, but why can't you build your own using Excel? The math formulas are quite simple. Do you have a copy of Excel that will run on your MAC???

I used the TS.com version as a basis but have modified and refined it to do so much more than the basic version.

Guy Babin

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Guy,maybe I'm a little too dense, but where is the spreadsheet on TS.Com

4. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac will open any PC Excel file.

You can try Open Office: http://www.openoffice.org/

Or Apples own IWork.

SW

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Phil,

Try this link:

http://www.trapshooters.com/TrapDiaryCalculator.xls

It is under Fun Stuff on the Home page...

If you'd like to see what I do I'd be glad to share mine with you. I am a PC guy tho....

Guy

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Phil,

You might need to 'convert' the excel file - actually easy to do.

First, place a copy of the file somewhere easy to find (e.g., on the desktop) then open excel on your Mac.

Once open go to the File menu and go to the drop down 'Open' line - click it and then direct it to the excel file.

This will convert MOST excel files (not all, but most)

7. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Office 2008 (the Mac version of Office) will NOT run every Excel spreadsheet created in the Windows version! The problem comes if the spreadsheet written in Windows version Office contains Macros. FYI: Macros are groups of processing data commands or other similar commands that may have several different steps all started up by one simple mouse or key click. I have a spreadsheet for our league (eight teams, 306 members, 14 shoots for each team in a season) that I wrote in Widows 2003 (PC version). It will not run on the MAC version because Microsoft did not develop the code for the 2008 version that is needed to support Visual Basic.

OpenOffice and the similar NeoOffice for Mac are both open source office suite programs but neither will successfully run the macros in my spreadsheet. I have to use either Office 2007 or 2003 to handle the score keeping. This can be done using Parallels making the Mac into a Windows machine but you have to but the PC version of both Windows and Office to make it work legally.

Microsoft is supposed to be coming out with the Mac version (Office 2011) of the new office suite available for PCs (Office 2010) and a while back they said 2011 would support Visual Basic macros. I haven't heard anything lately, most of the news releases date back to February 2010, about Office 2011 so I am wondering if it is still or track for its release date.

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Phil just out of curiosity why don't you click on "My Trap Scores Database" At the top of the "TS.com Discussion" page and see if it is what you are looking for.

If not then you can look for another spreadsheet but David has set up a program to keep your score and averages so at least look at it.

If it isn't adequate then look for another it is there for you to use.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.