1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a SoCal source for AA hulls.

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by W.R.Buchanan, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

0   0   0

Hi guys: new to shotgun reloading but old to cartridge reloading. I'm getting set up to reload 12ga hulls for my new Browning Citori XT Trap Gun.

I've got most of what I need, but am having trouble locating a supply of once fired AA red or dark gray hulls, in the SoCal area.

Cabelas is selling them for 10 cents a piece which seems a bit high and shipping puts them way higher than that. I've seen others selling here on T/S for as little as 4 cents but they are on the Eastern Seaboard, and the shipping would be escessive on 1-2000 hulls.

Is there a reasonable source or a private source in the SoCal Area? I live in Ojai north of LA and am not opposed to driving 1-2 hrs to pick up. That means south to LA, east to Bakersfield, north to San Luis Obispo/ Paso Robles.

One more question,,, How many times can the Walmart/Wichester Universal ribbed hulls be reloaded at 1150 FPS? I already have a bunch of these.

Randy

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

0   0   0

Randy- The going rate for once fired AA hulls is 3-4 cents each. You can probably find a place that will sell new AA shells for around $7.50. If the empty hulls are worth 4 cents, that brings the price down to $6.50 per box.

I am sure this post will soon be followed by a few suggesting that you not reload AA hulls, but they are the only hull I reload. If anyone wants to hang around the dumpsters at Silver Dollar during the Dixie Grand, they can get a lot of once fired AA and STS hulls.

Pat Ireland

3. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

0   0   0

Randy. I have around 20 thousand AA's once fired. Many of them are old style. Gray and Red. 4 cents each. I live in Las Vegas...good excuse for a vegas trip huh! If you did not want to pick them up here, I am going to Central Cali sometimes next week or two....could meet in Tehachipi/Bakersfield if you would prefer..........Jerry

4. capvan

capvan Active Member

0   0   0

I wouldn't reload those Wallie land hulls at all. The ribs are there because the plastic is so weak. If you do load them, it will be a one-time affair.

I, too, only reload AA hulls. I've NEVER had a problem with them.

Bruce
    capvan
    kb1iix@arrl.net

5. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

0   0   0

Thanks Bruce, everything I have heard about all of the ribbed shell casings says reload once, maybe twice. I'm new to shotgun shell reloading but I've been reloading brass for 40 years so I pay attention to what I'm doing, and inspect everything many times as I'm processing.

I purchased a "brand new" Pacific DL-266 for $100 here at the sight a few weeks ago and will learn how to load shotgun with that, Single stage = less problems to start and more concentration on the process, and as my need for speed increases I will get a progressive like a DL-366. I like the Pacific/Hornady stuff. I bet I can load 6-8 boxes per hour anyway, as the machine operates under the same concept as my C&H Pistol Champ. IE: One station for each operation. I can do 200 .44's on that machine per hour and never break a sweat.

Thanks for the input.

Randy

6. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Randy, buy the OLD style AA hulls from Jerry. They are probably the compression-formed hulls without the separate basewad of the newer AA hulls. You can use the Search feature of this website regarding discussion threads of the controversy of basewad separation in newer AA hulls. Phillips Wholesale in West Covina is a good resource for reloading supplies in SoCal. You will enjoy reloading shotshells. Bob

7. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

0   0   0

Randy, I might be able to help you out with some Red AA. I belive they are all old style. I am almost due East of you, in the High Desert, Lancaster. I could meet you, or you could come here (if you were up this way). 4-5 Cents @.
    Norman

8. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

0   0   0

You might also call John Lumn at Hi-Score shooting supply in San Diego. He usually has hulls, along with every other reloading supply you might need. I get all of my supplies from him.

(619)672-2129 cell

9. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

0   0   0

Thanks all for your responses. I now have AA hulls coming out of my ears.

going to Phillips to buy shot tomarrow.

Thanks again

Randy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.