1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a Round Counter for my XL650, ideas anyone???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by vpr80, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some sort of small mechanical (or cool electrical) counter for my XL650. I know Dillon used to make the C100, but it takes the spot of the powder check station and I rather keep that on the machine than a counter.

I looked online as to what other's have done and it seems like the cleanest idea was a small mechanical counter right on the front triggered by the fail-safe rod guide arm. Video Link Here. I tried to find some mechanical counters on eBay, but they all seems really big and I can't find any 4 digit ones like the one in the video.

Alternatively, I also found some awesome electrical ideas, but no instructions how to assemble something like this. Does anyone know how this guy did it? Video Link Here.

Or if anyone has any other good ideas.

Thanks

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Any electronics gurus that can spec out something like the guy did with the IR counter?

Seems you would need a tiny beam transmitter on the slide that the round drops off. I am thinking something small and round that you can screw into the sides. Then a small circuit to process the input and increment a counter. The counter itself is a small digital display clipped somewhere convenient. Then all you need is a button or other easy way to reset back to zero.

It's really a great idea, but after searching online for a some of this stuff, I am just lost and can't find anything useful. Don't have a background in engineering so I don't know how to put something like this together.

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

:) I could, but what fun would that be.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Here ya go - just Googled "Digital Counter IR"

http://www.buildcircuit.com/object-counter/

http://fritzing.org/projects/infrared-based-digital-object-counter/

You basically need a light beam that the dropping loaded ammo would 'cut' and thus send a signal to the unit to add one more unit to the total...

5. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

HSLDS, thanks I found those too, but I wanted something a bit cleaner and less 3rd grade science project.

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

http://www.safetyed.org/digitalcounterfortheenforcerirentryalertsystem.aspx

Here is a counter - you will need to create a output unit for it, but this should do what you want.

7. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

PERFECT!!! Beautiful counter and can manually adjust the count and decent price. I love it!

Now how in the world do I figure out the power and input to it.....

As I look at it, it seems like a proprietary system. I am not sure the counter can be adapted for other small sensors of some sort. Their entry ir system is very big and bulky.

8. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

ctreay, i am SOOOO far from farm country, it's not even funny :)

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

vpr80,

It looks like the counter is triggered by a speaker circuit so that suggests 12 to 24 V DC. I suspect the main unit sends out an audible 'chime' each time it is triggered and this unit ties into that to trigger the count.

Don't think it would be too hard to tie it into some IR or visible light beam that sends the current each time a falling bullet breaks the beam...

10. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Called the company. They said that the counter can be adapted for other uses.

It needs 9VDC for Power and increments the counter every time that it senses Ground. So power is not an issue, but I still need a tiny photoelectric or IR sensor system of some sort.

11. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with the dillon xl350, but if its a progressive why not a micro switch and a 9 volt battery?

12. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

It is a progressive, but the main issue with manual counters and micro switches is that the count will always be overstated. As I load, once in a while I need to adjust something or fix a round or something gets stuck. A counter based on complete rounds coming out the back is a "better" solution than simply counting strokes.

13. kolarshooter

kolarshooter Member

[​IMG]
    Just a way to make it work.

Tom

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Go to youtube.com and type in Dillon press round counter. There is a short video of a guy that made his own for $10. Good Luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dillon 650 counter

dillon 650 round counter
dillon load counter

dillon xl 650 round counter

dillon xl650 case counter
dillonxl 650 counter rounds
round counter for dillon 650
xl650 round counter