1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a Promo/Red dot 7/8 load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Big Al 29, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Need a Promo load for 7/8 for Bunker on Sunday.

Shooting Remington STS hulls.

Shooting Bunker on Sunday and I WANT SPEED. I will use a 1oz but I am looking for speed with not too much recoil for the 2nd shot.

Shooting a hot primer too.

I have 1oz dusters too. i have loaded 7/8 into these many times too so if you have one with a 1oz load good too. I will go buy a bag of 7/8 wads, its not problem.

Shooting K80.

Thanks.

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

Wsy not just go to Alliants site and look up what you need.

3. LABS4U0

LABS4U0 TS Member

Get ya some International Clays if you want speed. Shooting a K80 with PROMO and a hot primer may be asking for trouble. K80's seem to be blowing up lately,
    maybe this is why. Darren

4. k newman

k newman TS Member

for sporting clays, I'm loading 19 grains of promo in a claybuster 4100 wad, STS hull and primer. The loading manual says 1310 FPS. I haven't chrono'd this.

In a AA hull, using a winchester primer, the same load is supposed do be around 1325.

It crushes target if you do your part.

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Time proven.. tested by Downrange.. Remington/AA hull Winchester 209 primer 19.6 grains of Promo 7/8oz shot 12SO or DR XXL wad 1330 fps average pressure 8900.. If you E-mail me direct.. I'll return the data Kevin sent me..

6. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

STS hull and 12S0 are a nice combination

7. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

I once tried 24 gram in the first barrel with 1 oz in the second barrel. Didn't like it: too much recoil difference.

Still think the ideal bunker load is 1 oz at 1250'/s -- for both barrels. Nice patterns and reasonable recoil with plenty of target crushing power. If you're on the National teams, it's not an option.

You might find the discussion at http://www.shootingbunker.com/ReloadingForBunker.html of interest. I notice you lose almost a choke's worth of pattern by pushing the velocity 60'/s higher by switching from AA's to Fiocchi.

- - Bill

8. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Here's abother reloader who's using the same recipe as PerazziBB but for SCs primarily - - and I am thououghly pleased . I did tighten up on CTs ( for SCs) to F/IM . Recoil is a non-issue nor is "range" . I do put together some "post wad" spreaders for presentations < 20 yds .

Getting the DR "pink" XXLs is a bit more complicated - - but worth the effort .

Charlie

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I'd go with the load that PerazziBigBore listed. Mike's got it about right. I just didn't have great results with the Downrange XXL wad, but I also didn't spend much time trying to get it to work. The Federal 12S0 is a great wad when you need speed. Tight choke is a must with these loads.

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Yes.. Tight chokes` are a must.. For first shot on doubles .028 is my starting point.. which is OK if you are FAST on your first shot in Bunker.. personally.. my Wilkinson .028/.038 and my old Comp 1 .040/.045 are my 2 best barrels for 24 gram.. In Italy.. the "promo" shell is 29 gram at 1260..which is cheap at 3.70 Euro per box.. and not legal.. but for practice OK.. When you shoot with the guys unregestered.. everone shoots 28 gram..(1 oz).. at 4.50 Euro per box.. But all regestered is 24 gram 1350 at 6.00 Euro per box.. That about $8.25 per box..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.