1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a new truck, Ford F-250 or Chevy 2500HD?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mrrem3200, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrrem3200

mrrem3200 Member

I’m finally going to make the plunge and buy a new truck but I don’t want to make a $35,000 mistake. I had my heart set on an F-250 but after driving it and the Chevy 2500HD I think I might like the Chevy better. The 6.0L was peppier than the Ford’s 5.4L. The ride was also better. I like the way the ford sits and how it looks. The Ford had a classier interior. So it really comes down to reliability. I’m pulling a small camper (24’), other than that I’ll be carrying small stuff that for the most I can get away with a ½ ton truck, but I want a ¾ ton. I only work 9 miles from home so gas mileage will not be a huge issue. So…..what do you think, any die hard Ford or Chevy People that can enlighten me?

2. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

That all the choices you want to consider?

3. mrrem3200

mrrem3200 Member

That all the choices you want to consider?

Yes.

4. EE

EE Banned User Banned

You don't want to make a mistake, but you're considering buying from a company that needed $65billion in taxpayers' money to stay in business? Buy the Ford, or a Toyota.

EE

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Both trucks are going to be great and more than able for what you want.

I'm not all caught up the federal bail-out thing like some. I tend to prefer GM products because I've had such good luck with them over the years.

Either way, your going to end up with one nice vehicle!

ss

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I don't think you were test driving a new Ford 6.0 because they haven't used that motor in a F series since 2008. Your other option is a V10 if you want a superduty. You can forget looking for a import truck that is comparable to any of our big 3 3/4 ton on up.

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Either one is excellent....I will add though that dont write off the Ford just because the Chevy felt peppier...the Fords engine is tuned for torque, and its suspension made to handle a major load ...and once you put a healthy load on them you will see..its harder to bogg down the Fords 5.4 because of its super long stroke...if you let the tranny downshift and just hold the engine at 27-2800..it will pull any hill out there at 50mph...remember, when you're towing its not a race...plus with a load on it the Ford will ride like a Lincoln...My F-350 SRW does...and it is the best when stopping..best heavy duty brakes/trailer controller out there

8. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

The Chevy has 60 more HP and 15 lbs more torque. No replacement for displacement.

I'd go with the Chevy.

9. Chadshot

Chadshot Member

I had a GMC with the 6.0 and really liked it. I have a 36 ft pontoon boat with I/O that weighs about 7000 lbs and also a 33 ft fifth wheel that weighs just under 10000 lbs and would pull them with no problems.

10. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

I would hate to buy anything from a bankrupt company...especially if you need repairs or service sometime.

11. jim creighton

jim creighton Member

If you have a little time wate to see the new 2011 Ford it will be in stock in a few weeks-6.2LV8 is the new engine & has great reviews-hoursepower ratings I don't have yet but will be available soon. Give Ford a chance you won't be sorry. Good Luck Jim C

12. TEXASBEN

TEXASBEN Member

I think the Chevrolet will have the Allison 6 speed automatic transmission. Much better for towing than the Ford. I have an 07 Chevy HD2500 DuraMax, prior was an 1999 Ford F250 SuperDury 7.3(368,000 miles) Like both trucks. My better half likes the Chevy much more better ride and quiter. I think either truck will do great.

Ben D

13. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

GM is not going to go out of business. Their problems were from the economy, not a lack of quality. Almost every car company in the world has some kind of government connection. GM still has great engineering and will always be a leader in their field. IMHO Ron

14. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The new Ford 6.2L V8 has 400 horse 400 torque Est. 2 spark plugs per cyl. and piston cooling jets. The trans is a 6 speed torqshift.

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

What transmission does the Z-71 have? I have a Duramax now, but at $6,000 more for the diesel and 40 cents a gallon more for fuel, I may do a gas this time.

Biggest thing I'll pull will be a camper. Will the 2500 HD handle a 30' camper?

16. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

MrRem3200 I'm going to be honest and play a apple to apple conversation here I was a DIEHARD GM person for 40yrs I went to by a truck in 2003 March I drove a 6.0 1500GMC 4door 4wd FIRST it was very loud the exhaust and the noise from the engine compartment was to loud the power was there no doudt but then I went to a Ford dealer and drove the F-150 Supercrew and the 5.4 was very quiet and the ride was ultimately the best and the quietest truck I ever drove or been in it was also $3000-$4000 cheaper at the time. In Sept 09 I just bought a 99 F-350 SD 2WD 4door Dually from CA and it has a V-10 I drove it back from LONG BEACH CA no problem 80 mph across desert and smooth wonderful to drive . Now FORD is coming out with a 6.2 Ford V-8 in the spring of 2010 go on Fords web site and you can see about it that should be the ticket in my book, it is suppose to be available in the big trucks. My opinion by the Ford F-350 SD. Pat

17. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Wait for the 2011 to come out if you want a chevy. The body will be the same but the frame is beefier and there are a lot of new stuff. Mash link for a preview.

18. Don S

Don S Member

I currently have a Sierra 1500HD with a 6.0 V8. Runs great with no problems. I pull a 6500 lb 29 ft trailer. Even loaded with 20 cases of shells (500 lbs) plus gear no problems. Before the Sierra I drove an F150 with the 5.4 V8. No problems with the same loads. The Sierra with the 6.0 V8 is more peppy than the Ford 5.4.

19. poorshooter

poorshooter TS Member

Four out of five of my latest pickups have been GM's, and I've had excellent service from each them (240,000 miles on my 2002 HD 4X4). It was a great truck as were its 3 predecessors. In July I bought a new Ford becasue I haven't been overly fond of the latest GM body style. I am very please with the Ford. Is the Ford a better vehicle than the GM? I'll be able to say for sure in approximately another 200,000+ miles.

Unless there has been a recent change, the GM 6.0 gas engine hasn't been available through 2009 with an Allison transmission. It was available with the 8.1 gas (since discontinued), or the Duramax (Izusu/GM) diesel. Also, many people don't realize that the GM/Allison transmission is actually a GM design that is only assembled by Allison. That being said, it really is an excellent transmission, as is the newly designed six speed automatic transmission offered by Ford. My company has purchased a number of Fords with diesel engines, and personnaly I would stay away from the Ford diesel engines. Their latest diesels haven't been getting great reviews, and our fleet manager is currently experiencing a lot of issues with our Ford diesels. If you are interested in a gas engine, I suggest that you buy the truck you like best. Depending on the engine/rear axle combinations, Fords are rated for better mileage than similar GM's with gas engines, but the difference isn't much. If you are interested in a diesel engine, the Duramax engine is currently better than Ford's, as is the Dodge Cummins engine (if only that engine was available in somethng other than a Dodge). Over the years, I've driven Fords, and GM's. If you take care of either brand, the newer models will exceed 300,000 miles. Either brand will do all that you state that you want a from a pickup. So go with the truck you like best, or the whichever one offers the best deal. Neither brand is a bad choice.

20. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Poorshooter I have said that for a while if only the cummins were available in the Ford SD WOW By the Ford SD 6.2 V-8.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.