1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a New Reloader, Please Advise

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by UpNorthMN, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

My 33 year old Grabber is becoming a PIA, and it's time to buy my second (and last) reloader. I have searched the archives but not found the advice I need. Which brand should I go with and which model? I probably reload 200 - 300 shells a week during the busy season. This is for trapshooting 12 gauge loads only.

David

2. capvan

capvan Active Member

Well, this will really open up a can of worms...and it has been discussed to death already. But my 2 cents...

Mec 9000

Dillon if you have the $$

Spolar if you REALLY have the money.

The Mec will do just fine for your usage. And they are available a lot on ebay. I got mine for $100, rusted to hell. Lots of oil and steel wool and it's been running fine for 3 years.

cap

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

David, if you simply ship the Grabber back to MEC asking for a tune up, they will make it as good as new when returned. Call first and talk about your problems and how to get it back to them.....breakemall

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Although I load with a Hornady 366; I would recommend the MEC 9000. I like my 366, but I do not like their "out of the way" resizing station. I resize all of my hulls with a MEC Supersizer before I reload. So that station does not bother me. The Mec 9000 has the resizing station on the main turret. (The same as your old Grabber). Basically the only difference between the Grabber and the 9000 is that on the 9000 the turret automatically turns and ejects a finished shell on each stroke of the handle. The Grabber's turret has to be rotated manually. Good Luck. Ed

5. 687 Trap

687 Trap Member

I just replaced my Grabber. Mine was of the same vintage as yours. My loading needs are similar to yours in number of shells. I bought a MEC 9000G about three months ago. It it is GREAT!!! It was an easy transition from all those years of owning a Grabber. The savings margin on reloading is so small it is hard to justify spending more on a machine if you hope to recoup your expenses. The 9000 reloads a nice uniform shell; what more can you ask!!

Ron

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

David..... I would also recommend you send the grabber back to MEC for a total rebuild. The Grabber is about as good a loader as you can buy for the money. I went from a Grabber to a MEC 9000H hydraulic loader simply because I reload a LOT of shells. The hydraulic just makes it faster, and with less stress on the shoulder from pulling the handle on the Grabber. You will get lots of different opinions on loaders in response to your question, but, for the money, MEC wins every time..... I've been reloading with a MEC since 1960. I've had PW, and Pacific. No way I would replace my 9000H with either one of these. RCBS, Dillon, Spolar, etc. are also very nice loaders and will do the job just fine. You will have to pay more for one of them, with all the features of the MEC 9000H, than for the MEC.... Just my experience.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

P/W all the way.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get another Grabber, keep the one you have for spare parts. HMB

9. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Hi Gentlemen:
    I gave each of my boys(now men) three boys,= 3 MEC 9000 Grabbers. I went to
    9000H for the top dog. I have had it at least 15 years,with very little & I do mean very little problems. I have a few meaning (3) very small problems. When they occur, I stand in front of the loader with ear to ear piece & mouth to the mouth piece. I follow their directions & bingo,before long it is working like new. I have a friend who has returned 3 loaders to MEC to have 3 rebuilt. He bought them at a very cheap price, being salvaged from the open air dump.& they came back looking & working like new.Unless their policy has changed,it's your $$$ to get the machine to them. They pay for the return shipping.Charges are very reasonable. I could not be any happier working with any other outfit. I had a very unfortunate accident,that left me with a stainless steel humerus(Upper arm bone) complete with screws & bolts.(A friend of mine,always said I had a few screws lose.) Are you reading this Buddy? If it wasn't for the H part, I would be out of the reloading business. I would say, go with any of the major manufacturers with the exception of RCBS. They stuck me with a green machine for metallic reloading & all they did to help me & others was to discotinue manufacturing the green machine.
    My sons & I have been extremely pleased with Dillon for our metallic reloading.Their no B.S. guarantee is just that, no bull sh--. You can take their word to the bank. I understand Spolar is quite a machine,but I do not have the big bucks to buy one of their machines.
    Sorry,this response is so long.
    Joe Jordan

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Send it back to Mec for a rebuild. Break-em all. Jeff

11. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Mec. 9000 G all the way.!!!!!!.

Sandy Holehouse

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.