1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a lesson on Novak type sights

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by chiefjon, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I want to put a Laserlyte sight on my Berett Cougar. The mfg. does not offer one specifically for my gun. They offer sights for several popular guns, ie, S&W M&P. These "popular" gun have a "dovetail" rear sight, as does my Beretta. How do I measure the "size" or other demention (sp)of my sight vs. the others? I don't quite understand the angle of the dovetail cut and the width of the base of the dovetail. Any help would be appreciated. The mfg is of no help.

JON

2. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jon, this website shows you how to measure the dovetail. Harv

3. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Jon:

Assuming you have the Cougar with a rail, why not get a laser sight system that will slide onto the rail on your pistol ?
    Assuming the rail is a standard rail, you should be able to find several options and avoid replacing the factory sights.

Gene in Illinois

4. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Gene,

This is a model that does not have a rail. I have considered the .45 for that specific reason.

Shotshell,

Thanks...that is perfect.

JON

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Here is the deal

You either have a factory cut - at which time you would get a factory cut replacement- easy to communicate and figure out- heck even call the manufacturer

Or

You have a "Novak" cut- where someone has milled that cut into the slide

It is easy to figure out then what you need-- Novak cuts are essentially interchangeable ( although you might have some minor tightness or looseness)

Regards from Iowa

Gene

6. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

GN7777777,

Thanks. I needed a lesson and I am getting it. If I understand, you are saying that the Novak is a specific cut that is not a factory dovetail. The mfg of the Laserlyte have been remarkably not helpful. I have asked Beretta for info on the cut and await feedback.

Thanks,

JON

7. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jon, when I was quoted $35 each to change the sights I provided on 2 of my Glocks, I bought a brass punch set which included a delrin punch and a small file set. Always file on the sight and not the slide. Plenty of great info on youtube showing how to do it, 15 minutes later the 1st one was done and 5 minutes later the second. I used 2 pieces of rubber from an old bike tube on the jaws of my vise to hold the slide. Real simple task. I just bought a Les Baer a couple weeks ago and the front sight is pinned. I would like a fiber optic on it for target shooting, but I'm not touching that pinned sight. For now I dot painted the front and rear sights with Bright Sight. If I'm not happy with it I'll send the slide back to Les to do it. Good luck, Harv.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.