1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a gun safe recommendation

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Aussie Phil, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aussie Phil

Aussie Phil TS Member

Hi guys

I am trying to find a relatively inexpensive gun safe for 4-8 trap guns. Mainly to stop my kids from getting into the guns. From memory the longest trap gun is around 54" - but all of the safes I see online seem to have a shelf near the top that reduces the overall length allowed.

I've always stored my shotguns assembled and standing upright. What do others do?

Any recommendations?

2. redix

redix TS Member

I've had very good experience with Liberty Safes (http://www.libertysafe.com/) in terms of cost, quality, ease of use & trade-in value. These have shelves that can be configured to your requirements. I, too, store my guns assembled & upright, except for those with recoil systems such as Soft Touch, which I store barrel down. A moisture control device such as the Golden Rod is advisable.

3. redix

redix TS Member

Hoosier Daddy: Relieving the pressure on springs or cylinders of the recoil systems extends their useable life.

4. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i bought a nice 14 gun sentry safe at lowes . it isn,t the fanciest but does what i want it to. i will upgrade to a pella security safe some day. i was in out local walmart & they had about the same sentry as mine for around 400 bucks ,give or take a little. dwain

5. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I looked at Fort Knox safes and they look good on both price and the way they are made. Cannon I also like for the same reason. Look up both of them.

6. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

posted this earlier, but it didn't stick........As above, Walmart and Costco sell gun safes for around $400. I bought a STACK ON 10 gun safe for around $350. I believe this brand is available from Wally World. The drawback is that it is not a fire safe, just a Califonia DOJ legal safe. There is a top shelf in it, but it does not go all the way to the back, I can get my 54"+ shotgun in behind the shelf. It also comes with plastic blocks to hold the guns, and a small tray and standouts in case you want to case scoped guns.
    The safes at Wally World seem to be push button combo, while the one I got was a dial combo.
    There, I think that is what I wrote the first time
    dennis

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Buy The biggest best safe you can afford/have room for. If I could I would buy A safe 3 times bigger than what I have. Century 14 gun safe 400.00. Its ok, Its not very heavy so you MUST bolt it down. If I had money to burn I would have a Large walk in safe built in my basement.

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I have the 10 gun Stack On bolted through the back to a stud. Really holds 8 gun ok. None of my guns are very expensive and they are insured. It is a good unit to frustrate the typical burglar.

9. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Cannon makes a double door safe that will hold if I remeber right about 64 guns.

10. 6913F

6913F TS Member

Do your homework on fire ratings. You get what you pay for! Look into a Pella Securities safe. Some of the best safes made. Really nice family business. Great people to work with and lots of selection. Great quality, too.

Larry

11. 6913F

6913F TS Member

www.pellasecurity.com

12. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Aussie, go to www.sturdysafe.com and there is a lot of information and very informative on gunsafes.

Godo luck.

13. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Liberty....Best safes made!!!! Ask anyone....

14. Dynokick189

Dynokick189 TS Member

First of all - ANY safe is better than nothing. I always recommend this as the best accessory a gun owner can have. Buy something.

I have a Fort Knox and love it!! However, someone above said "buy a big safe" and they're right!! You will have no trouble filling it with "OTHER" stuff!!

First thing my wife asked "Is it big enough to store my....".

If you can't afford a big safe, buy as many cheap ones as you can. I have 2 at home and one out at deer camp (I leave the door on this one open, but locked to prevent someone stealing it).

MIke

15. Questor

Questor TS Member

My safe is made by Liberty. I picked it out at a safe store that had a wide selection. The attractive things about it were that it is a full feature true safe (not a locking cabinet), is of high quality and good design, and costs significantly less than comparable models from other manufacturers. I truly value that safe as a fine thing. The cosmetics are not as nice as those glossy paint job models, but if you're going to keep it in a closet, it is fine. The paint, however, is of high quality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.