1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need a good vinegar and oil recipe for salads

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by hoot619, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoot619

hoot619 Member

I'd like a good vinegar and oil recipe with spices for salads. Also how to mix it

well -use blender I guess.

The Doc says I'm right on the bubble to having sugar trouble. So instead of late

night snacks will eat salads instead. Yep she said exercise too. Thanks Ken U

2. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

My wife is Italian and makes a good dressing just go by YOUR taste and use the better ingredients.

Jim

3. JayZap

JayZap Active Member

White balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, garlic powder. Mix to taste.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I use Balsamic vinegar and olive oil...put in a healthy scoop of jarred pesto...a few green stuffed olives and a couple black if you like then blend until smooth and the olives super fined chopped...you can also add some feta cheese if you like it (which I do) I worked at a fine Italian restaurant putting myself thru school and that is basically their house dressing recipe

5. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

try vinegar,,olive oil,basil,chopped garlic in a tomatoe and onion salad.Good bread and a glass of wine. The taste of summer.

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

If sugar is becoming a problem, you may want to cut back on the sugar.

Equal amounts of the three following in a reseal-able bottle, or jar:
    #1 Vegetable Oil, #2 Cider Vinegar, White, or Red Wine Vinegar (Red Wine I like.),
    #3 Sugar

Can add a little Balsamic, or substitute for the wine vinegar, for a different flavor. (I like just the Red Wine Vinegar.)

Add Salt, Pepper, Garlic Salt/Powder, Sweet Basil, Oregano, all to taste.

Skip the Salt if you are adding Garlic Salt.

Shake vigorously and let stand. Usually tastes better if made a day or so before serving. Shake well again before serving.

7. APrice

APrice Active Member

If you want a more expensive shortcut, just by some Newman's Own Family Italian Recipe. Hard to beat!

8. hoot619

hoot619 Member

thanks to all, will keep watch on this for while,, Hoot

9. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

use GOOD balsamic and GOOD extra virgin olive oil. The price usually makes a difference. Don't skimp. By the way. Costco olive oil is one of the best in the small square bottle

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Wishbones Robusto Italian, find it in any grocery

11. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

My family is full blood Sicilian on both sides. We use Red Wine Vinegar and Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil. If you take others advise and use Balsamic vinegar...try Red Wine too. Different and much better...IMO.

Garlic on a salad? We use garlic on about everything but ice cream and.....salad.

Spices we use are cracked black pepper and Vege-Sal, Spike brand (found in Health Food stores).

No mixing. Pour olive oil over made salad. Add a few sprinkles of vinegar, season to taste...stir. Takes about 45 seconds to prepare dressing.

milt

12. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Balsamic/olive oil/touch of mayo. Yummy!!

Make half cup samples of all the above recomendations and pick the one you like most.

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

sounds good Milt

14. hoot619

hoot619 Member

next trip to a big city will pick up ingredients but will check
    around town in the meantime. Prices here and quality aren't the best
    at times. Thanks all Ken U

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    APrice, quote: <i>"If you want a more expensive shortcut, just by some Newman's Own Family Italian Recipe. Hard to beat!"</i>

I don't support Newman products. Ever. Even if he is dead now.

The NRA-ILA lists Paul Newman as having been on the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence National Committee. See link.

Another hypocritical actor who perpetuates gun violence on the screen and gets to use guns, but decides the rest of us should not.

16. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

My wife is 1/2 Sicilian and 1/2 Italian from Abruzzi. Here is how she does it...extra virgin Italian olive oil lightly poured over the salad once, twice, thrice then quality Balsamic vinegar lightly poured over the salad once, twice, thrice. Toss it and enjoy. Her phrasing, not mine. Pretty tasty, and olive oil is good for you.

17. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Oh I forgot, apply seasonings to salad before dressing, mix and let sit 15-30 minutes or longer. Be careful because any salt content will draw out moisture and cause excessive moisture to accumulate. Does make a huge difference in taste. Like marinating a good antipasto. We used to marinate our antipastos, with lettuce, in sealed wooden vats (Old Beverly Club, Woonsocket, RI).

Brian, we don't support any liberal anything. In fact have a file we continually update that identifies corps that support abortion or other liberal agendas. We avoid them like the plague. Good for you and point well made...IMO.

Man, this balsamic thing...at least try red wine...please. Never met an Italian who used balsamic vinegar. (guess I'll finally have to try it...most of my friends use it...but none of those are Italian).

milt

18. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

+1 for 22hornet's post.

I keep my extra virgin olive oil and Balsamic vinegar in the refrigerator so that they are cold when I pour them over the salad greens. The olive oil sometimes gets a little cloudy when it's cold but this does not change the taste.

I grind on some sea salt and black pepper just before eating the salad. Add some radishes, fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced shallots and diced ham for a good meal.

I like my red wine in a glass, not in my vinegar. Once you develop a taste for Balsamic vinegar, you may not ever want any other type of vinegar. I think that Balsamic vinegar starts off as a red wine with the musts included, It is aged in large oak casks. I believe that Modena, Italy is the primary source for Balsamic vinegar.

I really love collard greens slow cooked with onion, some type of hot pepper, salt and ham hocks or pigs feet doused in Balsamic vinegar.

It's good!

Ed Ward

19. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Blend in a little fresh raspberry for those that like a bit of natural sweetener.

20. Robert Long

Robert Long Member

Hoot, The ratio is 3 to 1 oil to vinegar. Play with it a bit. Using a nice balsamic, use a little sugar. Try raspberry vinegar or champagne vinegar. Keep to the basic ratio and have fun with the additions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.