1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a Good League Format

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mtougher, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtougher

mtougher TS Member

Does any one have a good format for a trapshooting league? In the past our less experienced shooters have been reluctant to participate due to the feeling they can not compete with the higher level shooters.

I am open to all suggestions anyone may have on how to best establish an equitable league handicap system.

Michael Tougher
    Jacksonville, OR

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Do your trophies using Lewis Class.

3. mtougher

mtougher TS Member

That's something I had not thought about. Thanks.........

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

What many don't realize is that Lewis Class was originally developed to solve the problem of handicapping shooters; not as an "option."

If people understand that they will be in the running for a trophy or monetary award even if they shoot in the middle of the pack, they're more likely to participate.

enjoy

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Search for a thread by ScottCalhoun, he's the guy who our leaguemeister. Send him a PM, he's generous with helping others.

regards all,

Jay

6. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Most league handicap system are bias toward the good shooter. You can manage this by having handicap + actual equal 25. 25 being the max score that can be achieved with handicap. This equals the best score than can be achieved by the best shooter.

How to: for each shooter you add the first two week scores for the league and divide by 2 and subtract from 25. This value (25-X)would be added to each of the first 2 weeks raw score and be added to the raw score of week 3 to determine the handicap score for each week. Again, remembering that the maximum score with handicap is 25. For week 4 use the raw score from week 2 and 3 added and divided by 2 and then subtracted from 25 to determine handicap value for week 4. Use the sum of the previous two weeks raw scores divided by 2 and subtracted from 25 to determine the handicap value for the next week for the duration of the league term.

Given a team enviornment, the individual scores (raw+handicap) are added (we use the top 5 scores (raw + handicap)of a 10 person team) and a running total of the best 5 scores is kept for each team. The team with the highest total at the end of the league term wins.

You will find that only a few points will separate the teams and many will be in the running until the last week. Team ties at the end of the league shoot off using the individual handicap established for the last week of the league term.

Regards

W&W

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I very STRONGLY suggest NOT using a handicapping system that artificially inflates the scores of shooters, especially one that allows for a total score with handicap that is equal to a perfect score (if I read W&W's post correctly). Ironically, my April column will be on this very subject as written from the experience I gleaned from running a 50-target winter league for 13 years.

Think of the old adage about giving a man a fish or teaching him how to fish. In effect, a handicapping system gives the shooters a fish every week while a scratch score system encourages the shooters to learn how catch more fish for the rest of their lives. For seven or so years of handicapped scoring, I watched shooters walk away from the standings sheets saying something like, "I can miss seven targets today and still get my 49." (We handicapped to a maximum of 49.) Go out there to shoot believing it is okay to miss seven targets and, by golly, you probably will.

Then, since most handicapping systems use a running total of your scores to calculate your handicap, you'll hear shooters who have a bad first trap saying that they plan to "work on their handicap" on the second trap. Sandbagging at its best! To defeat that approach, I only used the total of each shooter's scores until the third shoot. With three scores, I used the higher two. With four, I used the highest three. And with five or more, I used the last five with the highest and lowest discarded. If you don't, one intentional bad score can pad a handicap for the rest of the season or, perhaps worse yet, one "where'd-that-come-from?" high score can leave a shooter with a lower than deserved handicap for the balance of the season.

It is claimed that using a handcapping system encourages newer shooters and keeps the team scoring close. Well, if everyone gets the same score up to a 49 (in our case), it takes either some bad scores on the part of one team or some perfect 50s on the part of another before ground can be lost or gained. How does knowing it takes a perfect score to help his team encourage a new shooter?

Any system that makes falling behind harder also makes catching up just as hard. That's a mathematical fact. Need to make up some targets? Break some 50s or hope your opponent shoots badly. Some system! You will be far better off utilizing raw scores and a Lewis as the others have suggested.

If you were one of the better shooters in such a league and your good scores do no more for your team than any other shooter's, how motivated would you be to even show up at the shoots?

Here's a example of that. The league I used to run was restarted by a friend of mine and because it is much less time-consuming, he utilizes the cumulative score system to calculate handicaps. Their first shoot was two weeks ago on a cold, windy day at a club where the traps face south and very little timber exists to block the sun. Two shooters broke 47s - a heck of a job under those conditions (the next highest score might have been 43). But since there were no 50s, all five teams wound up with the same total score. Rubbing salt in the wound is the fact that both shooters with 47s are on the same team.

Finally, don't use points to arrive at the team standings because the team that accumulates the most points may not be the one that breaks the most targets.

Rant over.

Ed

8. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Here is an ammo league format for individual shooters. Each league is short at only 5 weeks so more people can fit a league in between travel schedules, it encourages attendance and bringing a friend in that the more shooters, the more ammo is awarded, it is easy to score and understand, the better shooters earn more chances to win but every participant earns some chances to win and handing out ammo encourages shooters to come back and shoot more targets. To score, the 4 top scores earn Champion, Champ runnerup, AA and AA runnerup. Two is subtracted from whatever is the AA runner up score and that is A class, another 2=B class another 2=C class and another 2=D class. Ties are broken by longest backrun. Entry is $25.00 with $10.00 going to ammo prizes.

Here is how it works:

Each night you shoot, you will receive one raffle ticket.

• Each night we will shoot 25, 16 yard targets and 25, 21 yard targets.

• Classes will be determined on a modified Lewis system so shooters of all skill levels have an equal chance to win.

• If you win champion in A, B, C & D you will receive two raffle tickets.

• Champion, champion runner up, AA champion and AA runner up all receive two raffle tickets.

• If you win champion runner up in a classes A, B, C & D you will receive one additional raffle ticket.

• Anyone who shoots a 50 wins two bonus tickets.

• Everyone who shoots five scores during each five week session will receive one additional raffle ticket.

• Make-ups do not earn a ticket but they will count towards getting an additional ticket for shooting five scores.

At the end of five weeks the various class champions and runner ups will be determined using the same system as for nightly winner using 4 best scores out of 5. Five week Class champions will receive two additional tickets and runner ups one.

After the 5 week champions have been announced, there will be a drawing. The first five tickets drawn will each win one flat of shells. The next four tickets drawn will each win five flats of shells each and the Grand Prize will be the last ticket drawn which will win 10 flats of shells.

For every five shooters over 40 per night that the league averages during each five week session, there will be a drawing for four tickets, each of which will win one flat of shells.

No need to sign up in advance, just show up by 7:30

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.