1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a dental "McGuyver".....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigdogtx, Dec 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Here's the scene,,,,,young Marine in the Afghan desert,,,,had a cap come off and does not have ability to get to a dentist for about 3 weeks.

I am not sure what "ingredients" he may have available but would appreciate some options.

I don't know if he has Super Glue available and would that work in the mouth?

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Need a dental

I would suspect the super glue would work, but it will build up and require that the cap be replaced rather than re-attached.

I've a good friend who is a dentist and I will call him as soon as it is not too early. Will post his reply later today.

Merry Christmas, and a special thank you to that Marine for his service.

3. Paul in Mn

Paul in Mn Member

Need a dental

My dentist said to use toothpaste between crown and tooth.

4. archangel

archangel Member

Need a dental

Do not use super glue. Don't use epoxy or jb weld or gum. Toothpaste has no holding power put it in a safe place until it can be looked at by a professional. If it comes loose and is aspirated in his sleep or while eating he could have a real emergency. My son is over there too god bless them all and Merry Xmas. Mike

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Need a dental

There is a kit on the market for exactly this kind of emergency. Can't remember where I saw it but it's out there.

6. dontate

dontate Member

Need a dental

I am a dentist and here are your options. Super glue will work the best BUT THERE IS ONE PROBLEM! Super glue is accelerated by moisture and obviously the mouth is plenty wet so you get ONE CHANCE to get the crown on correctly. Otherwise the bite may be off and then you are better off without the crown then with it. The next best option is denture adhesive. The adhesive is sticky enough to hold most crowns in place while giving you some flexibility in placing the crown back correctly. A final choice is vaseline. Even though it is a lubricant it can act as a quasi adhesive to hold a crown in place.The risks you run with any temporary cement is that the crown might come loose and either you swallow it or god forbid aspirate it! The final option is to leave the crown out. If you do that the risks are that you may experience pain with cold liquids and trap food in the tooth. Also the tooth may move if the crown is not in place for along time (several days) and the crown may not fit when you try to re-cement it. Your best bet is to try and get the denture adhesive and use caution with eating sticky foods until you can get to a dentist. Whatever you do to cement it make sure and try the crown back in first without cement so you have the correct fit placement before you cement it. Make sure there is no food debris on the tooth or in the crown. Once you place the crown in with cement bite quickly to seat the crown in place with your bite. You might even want to bite on a clean pencil eraser for a few seconds to fully seat the crown. Best of luck with it!

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Need a dental

They do make emergency dental repair kits. I believe i even saw one at Wal Mart. Unless there is a Wally World in the middle of BFE where he is, it's a wasted thought though.

grntitan_2009_250392.jpg

8. archangel

archangel Member

Need a dental

Again I am assuming your son is at a forward position with no medical care available. And I assume he is not in any pain have him put the crown in a safe place keep his tooth clean and have the base dentist evaluate it in 3 weeks. Don't use super glue, don't put it back in he has enough to think about.

9. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Need a dental

Thanks to all. I will try to get that kit to him in the next care package.

Semper Fi and Merry Christmas

10. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Need a dental

I spoke with my dentist friend.

Not withstanding some of the other suggestions here, and with caution as to swallowing or aspiration he suggested holding it in place with wax - get some hot water, place the cap in the water with a small piece of wax set in the base, when both are warm put it in place and bite down gently on something at that point until the wax cools.

If the tooth is left uncapped for a long time there may be movement of other teeth (as mentioned above). He further suggested taking it when eating or sleeping...

11. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Need a dental

Super glue does work, my wife used it successfully several times on a crown she was too cheap to get fixed until recently. She was using the quick set type but there is a new gel type that allows a small window of working time. Best wishes for you son.

Robert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.