1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a Buick Tech

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by squirrelkiller, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

I have a 1993 Buick Century Wagon and the keyless remote that came with it gave up. Bought one on Ebay, cheap. The programming connector is not where it should be above the left rear wheel well, or, where ever the he** it is suppose to be. Apparently it is an aftermarket remote? Can I jump such and such on the diagnostic port and program the factory remote??

Thanks,

Rod

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

You're probably going to have to have a GM dealer program it using their VATS Interrogator or other device. But that won't program aftermarket transmitters, so you may have to obtain a GM one first.

Call your local GM dealership service departments and ask if they have any old transmitters laying around the service desk. We always did.

Ed

3. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Thanks Ed. I figured it probably wouldn't be an easy fix. The ole car isn't worth a trip to the dealer. I'll stick it with the key from now on.

Thanks,

Rod

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I think the module and wire you need are on the passenger side on a sedan, but on a wagon, it might be different.

5. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Email me a picture of what you need and I might can get one for you. I deliver cars part time and we have a box full of older remotes. Ray

6. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Try your local salvage yard.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The last two suggestions are very good ones and certainly worth a try.

We used to somehow "inherit" retired transmitters at our service desk and a couple of times a month, a customer would come in with an older car in need of one. We would program one of our used ones to his car for free.

This thread is a good reminder of why we need to be hoarders and never get rid of anything. Until 2005, I had a 1995 Century wagon and a half-dozen spare transmitters for it but I donated them to our shop collection when I sold that car. See - if I would just have kept them for five years, I could have helped you out!

Ed

8. Edbird99

Edbird99 TS Member

You should also Google Buick forums. I'm on a Pontiac forum and a Caravan forum.One thing I've learned is, every bit of info about your car will be on there.All will have programming the remote(but not if it's not Factory remote),repairing common faults, troubleshooting electrical and mechanical problems,tutorials,part numbers etc,etc.Because one things for sure:you're not this first one to encounter these problems.
    I bought a factory remote off ebay and programmed it per my website and it worked great.I think they make brand new remotes that work on many models and years(again only if your car came with that option),so check that out also.
    So hope this helps you,have a Merry Christmas!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.