1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need A Bug ID Please

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by stokinpls, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

This place has experts on everything, thought I'd give it a try.

This evening my son comes over and says, "You got any bug killer? I've got something really strange out by those manure bags by the garage door." He said he thought it was mold but it was moving. When he got close enough he realized it was a mass of really tiny bugs, jumping around and climbing all over the place. I got some bug juice and the camera and went over to take a look. Not sure what I was looking at they were so damned small. There were several piles of them, but one big one just under the edge of a composted manure bag. They were the size of a "splinter you manage to tease out of your skin after you've given up trying to ignore it." They could jump several times their length, but didn't seem to be headed anywhere special. They were easily killed by the bug killer. Any ideas? Think I'll go hose off, I've got the creepy crawlies.

2. stokinpls

Here's a second photo.
    stokinpls_2008_030315.jpg

3. digger1dog

digger1dog Member

Around here we call 'em Obama supporters..

4. stokinpls

Solved. A friend emailed me this last night. Thanks for the responses.

"LOL gotta love the internet. I typed swarms of tiny bugs into google and came up with this…. Sounds kind of like yours

We came home this afternoon to see a huge swarm of tiny bugs on our wet driveway. There are so many blanketing the ground that at first we thought it was spilled oil, or somehow paint. When we got up close, however, we could see it was just a ton of tiny, tiny bugs- so many that it blankets entire patches of the ground. They are blueish grey in color, and they look almost like furry mold, except that when you get close, you can see they move and hop. They are really tiny- barely visible on an individual basis, so there must be millions

Springtails

HYG-2070-98

William F. Lyon

Common Name
    Scientific Name

Springtail

Entomobrya spp.
    Lepidocyrtus spp.
    Heteromurus spp.
    Orchesella spp.
    Sira spp.

Springtails sometimes cause alarm to homeowners when seen outdoors in enormous numbers, appearing as "piles of soot" in driveways, backyards, on mud puddle surfaces, etc. Occasionally, they enter the home where dampness occurs such as in basements, cellars, bathrooms, and kitchens, especially near drains, leaking water pipes, sinks, and in the soil of over-watered house plants. They usually appear in the spring and early summer but can be found all year round. Some are known as "snow fleas," appearing on the top of snow during late winter and early spring. These very small, leaping insects do not bite humans, spread disease, nor damage household furnishings. They are usually a nuisance by their presence.

Identification

Springtails are minute, wingless insects about 1/16 to 1/8 inch (1 to 2 mm) long. Colors vary from white, gray, yellow, orange, metallic green, lavender to red with some being patterned or mottled. They get their name from the ability to catapult themselves (leap) through the air three to four inches by means of a taillike mechanism (furcula) tucked under the abdomen. When disturbed, this appendage functions as a spring, propelling them into the air away from the danger source. Young resemble adults except for size and color. Eggs are spherical. "

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.