1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a book price on older rifle .....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cbxchris, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

I have a older Remington 700 BDL in 264 winchester magnum. This is not the special edition run a few years back. It has a marked stainless barrel that has some type of factory blue. Anyone have any idea of its worth? Gun has been in my ownership for well over 25 years. Not shot out and in excellent shape. Thanks for any info! Chris

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

There are a lot of variations of this rifle, but it's probably worth $375-$500 depending on specifics and actual % condition.

-Gary

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Are you sure it is a Remington 700 and not a Winchester model 70?

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Positively a 700. I have only seen 2 of these like this. I was told that you cannot blue a stainless barrel and it is parkerized.(sp?) It is a factory barrel stamped stainless. I am the second owner. I bought it from the original owner who was very elderly in the early 80's. It does have the slim forearm on the stock as the older BDL's. I am guessing this is a very very early 700 from the 60's.It also had the tang on the safety where you could not open the bolt without taking the safety off. I have corrected that. I am guessing it value is a good bit higher than a normal 700 but have no proof of that. That's why I am here asking questions.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Winchester used to varnish their stainless barrels and they did use them with the 264 winchester- that is why I asked- they thought it would help against erosion having the stainless barrel but wanted to color it

I have never seen a varnished or parkerized model 700 barrel until recent models or military or police ones- I am not sure why parkerizing wouldnt stick- it should- my guess is varnish

That safety sounds like a model 70 also

Could you post pictures?

I personally have never ever seen one in 264 winchester- wonder how many they made

regards from Iowa

6. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Never tried the pic route here but I can try. Trust me its a model 700 remington with a factory barrel. The other 264 I saw with the dark stainless barrel was a ADL with a hard butt pad owned by a friend of mine in Georgia. Mine has the BDL type factory butt pad for magnum's. I was thinking about selling it......this almost makes me want to just sit it back in the vault where its sit for the last 20 years. I do know its the best shooting magnum 700 I have ever owned and there's been a bunch of them. I wonder if this gun is listed in any gun bibles? Thanks for all the help Chris

7. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

I also forgot to mention I once saw a very early 700 with the same stainless barrel in a 7mm magnum. Must have been 30 years ago. Chris

8. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Chris, i know what you have it is an early gun, they usually bring 400-500 at the gun shows. Does the barrel say Stainless Hart, or Stainless??? Joe

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Ditto on CBXCHRIS's observation. This rifle was an older 700 BDL in 7 mm Rem Mag with the magnum recoil pad. The barrel had a little heart on it in addition to the normal Remington markings. The barrel was a standard taper barrel, not a varmint taper barrel.

The owner said that it was super accurate and felt like he got a good deal in it. This was about 10 years ago and I believe that he paid about $400 for it in a well known and knowledgable gun shop.

Ed Ward

10. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

I have never noticed a heart but will look. It is stamped stainless though.

11. SPW895

SPW895 Member

Chris, I had one in .264 win mag also about 15 years ago (bought used) along with a 7mm mag. both with stainless barrels. As I remember both were marked "stainless steel" on the LH side just above the wood. I think they were blued over the stainless. I also remember picking up a Remington brochere from around 1970-1972 and they listed the stainless barrels in .264 win mag, 7 mm rem mag and 300 win mag. Most people have never seen one and I can remember trying to sell it a a gun show several years ago and most people did not believe the barrel was stainless until they saw the stamping. On price I would say they should bring $500- 700 depending on the condition. If you ever want to sell let me know. Thanks Stan

12. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Mine did not have the heart. Thanks for all the comments and help. Think I will keep her.

13. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

Chris

I am looking at my 26th edition of Fjestad blue book of gun values. On page 1264, It lists your rifle as a Model 700BDL custom rifle. It states that the stainless steel barrel was mfg between 1962 and 1970.
    95%--- $355.
    90%--- $295.
    80%--- $255. Add-- 15% for 7mm Rem, 264Win and 300Win
    70%--- $220. 24" barrel std on these cal.
    60&--- $195.
    The stainless steel barrel will not take a reblue. I requires a special process. Bill

14. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Hart Barrel makers made some of the barrels, hence the Hart, they were the best shooters that ever came out of a Remington factory..

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I think some of those prices are a little out of touch with reality. Nice Remington Model 700s routinely bring $500 to $600 on GunBroker.com and I've seen those older magnums with stainless barrels do a bit more if the gun is very nice, so Stan is pretty much in the ballpark.

Try to buy a "100%" 870 Competition for the $550 the books list for them - I've paid as much as $700 for one and recently sold one for $825.

Ed

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

My first 'quality' high power was a M700 BDL LH that I scrounged and saved for and finally bought in 1973. Just a kid. But it was a 7mm Rem Mag and it did have a stainless barrel. Didn't realize that until many years later and I always thought my gun just had a crappy blue job on the barrel. It looks like somebody took a wire brush to it and then hit it with cold blue.

Cosmetics aside, that gun shot extremely well for quite some time. I still have it but the throat is gone to the point that I can't set bullets out far enough to touch rifling. I think at some point I will rebarrel it and get my old friend back.

I think what you have is probably a treasure from the custom shop and I would treat it accordingly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what is a 1972 remington 700 in 264 win mag worth