1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need 7/8oz load info for Federals from walmart

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I have Federals hulls from Walmart that I have decided to load up and shoot 1 time and then discard them. I need a good 7/8oz load for practice shooting. Here are the components I have on hand to use.

Federal 209 primer, Red dot, hard 8 shot, Federal 12s3 wad. Also, what type of wad will work with 7/8 oz load in this hull?
    Thanks,
    Steve Balistreri

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Given the availability of those Federal/estate hulls, you have a good idea for taking advantage of them.

I gave the 7/8 Oz loading a try with those hulls for the same reason and used CLAYS powder and the down range XXL pink wad. I didn't get the performance I was after until I got the velocity up fairly high as in 1,350 Fps using about 21 grains of CLAYS. At first I though this might have just been a wad problem but really I think the pressures were just too low with the lower vel rounds. The thing you will have trouble with is filling the large volume of these hulls. I didn't really like the high vel 7/8 Oz load compared to a 1 Oz load at 1,200 FpS so I gave up on using the Federal hulls for this.

I have no problems making normal velocity/mild shooting 7/8 Oz loads in STS or Gun Club hulls.

3. senior smoke

Wolfram:
    I also have a good # of the Winchester hulls from Walmart too. Would the 7/8 oz load be better in those hulls? If so, here are my reloading components for those hulls.

Walmart Winchester hull, AA primer, hard 8 shot, Red dot, AA wad.
    Steve

4. wolfram

If you are talking about the 'Universal' promotional Winchester hull, I never have tried then as they look like they would be difficult to get a crimp on. The AA Winchesters work okay with the drXXL wad and 7/8 Oz shot. These hulls are very similar in capacity to the STS and GC hulls.

The components you listed should work for most 7/8 Oz loads assuming you have the grey 7/8 Oz AA wad.

5. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

Steve - I've shot my share of both of those hulls and will tell you my experience is that the federal hulls can be inconsistent with 7/8's oz. At normal (1150-1200) speeds that hull seems to have problems sealing the wad because pressures are so low. I recommend the S0 wad and 1250fps or better to minimize bloopers. The Winchesters work fine with 7/8's, but don't crimp worth a darn. I like the XXL pinks in those. The AA 12sl wad will work, but a true 7/8oz wad would be better results.

I reload the federal top guns A LOT and love them, but only for 1oz or more. I have been really happy with Alliant ExtraLite and need to give the top guns another try with that very fast, very energetic powder.

Give it a try - that's the fun of reloading.

K

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Unless I'm missing something, the DR XXL wad is for tapered hulls and likely adding to the weak results in the Federal hull. I'd ditto Kevin's recommendation to use a more suitable wad; 12 SO for example......breakemall

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Steve,

7/8oz in Eurotrash (TG, Win Univ included) hulls is doable, but you'll not be happy with how the crimps *look.

There is NO clone wad designed for 7/8oz in a straight-wall hull, but the 12S0 is ok, and the DR XXL-Orange is better - just make sure you use NO wad pressure.

You can use one of the RemChester 7/8 wads, but they seal somewhat less well and don't travel especially well, and usually don't make a prettier shell. If you are going to load today and shoot tomorrow, they're fine.

Alliant shows a FGM RD load with DR-XXL and/or 12S0: 19gn, 1250fps. That will do you what you need, I think.

Bob

8. senior smoke

Thanks for all the information. I just had someone PM me to state that I am wasting my time using 7/8oz loads. He said the lowest he would go is 1 oz. The reason I wanted to go to 7/8oz load is to save money on lead, also to cut down on recoil. I believe if I can save money and cut down on recoil it's a win/win situation. I have friends that shoot sporting clays and skeet that have used 7/8 oz and 1 oz and they no longer use 1 1/8oz in trap. Am I giving to much up if I use 7/8 oz or 1 oz in tournaments when others use 1/1/8oz?
    Steve

9. wolfram

Steve - only you can be the judge about what you may be giving up using the lower shot weights. That takes trial and error with you behind the trigger.

What I can tell you for sure about the 7/8 Oz load is that you will reduce your ammo cost and you will reduce recoil providing you don't load to high velocities. The lower recoil is a factor that has helped many shooters improve their game - me included. Getting a couple extra boxes of shells out of every bag of shot is a very welcomed thing also.

I generally use the 7/8 Oz shells only for practice singles. For game day I use 1 Oz of #8 @ 1,200 FpS for singles and both shots of doubles and then a 3 dram (+) load with 1 1/8 Oz #71/2 or 8 for 27 yard HC. Now I will be the first to tell you this is pretty subjective stuff but if you have even the smallest doubt about your ammo, that belief will stick in your mind and end up hurting your scores. In reality I smack the targets really well with the 7/8 Oz shells and have put together alot of clean runs in practive, none the less, I am still more confident in the heavier shot charges.

10. senior smoke

Wolfram:
    I feel pretty much the way you do too. Some of my friends believe that if you don't hit a target with 7/8 oz load, you won't hit the same target with the 1 1/8 oz load? I believe there is a reason why the rules state no more shot than 1 1/8oz and size 7 1/2.
    Steve

11. washandwear

washandwear Member

Steve

Loaded 2,500 Federal Wally hulls this winter for winter league and practice. This is my recipe and I was pleased with its performance (full mx8 choke) Recoil was quite pleasant as well.

Fed Wally Hull

Federal 209A primer
    17.1 grs Red Dot
    DR-XXL Orange Downrange Wad (for 1oz Straight Wall Hulls)
    7/8 oz magnum 8s

Have some of the above wads and can send you a few to try.
    PM me if you want take me up on the offer.

Regards

W&W

12. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

The best 7/8 oz wads for these & EuroTrash hulls are the Ballistic Products wads. I like the 078 Lightning. Have shot 15K or better of these. They fit very well due to the larger base diameter than the S-3 or SO. Crimps are as nice as you can ask for,6 or 8 point. You will need to use about 17.3-.5 or Red Dot & maybe a bit more. So now you get more recoil. But for wads,nothing works as well as the BP stuff. Go on line to their wesite. Google Ballistic Products. The have a $5.00 all you can ship charge thru April. If you want to use the S-3 or SO,put a 20 ga filler wad under the shot. More $$ & time.

13. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

RunGun (and anybody else who may be interested), BPI re-names all their stuff some cutsey-ass name.

The "Lightning 078" is a B&P T2, and is absolutely first 1st class. Precision Reloading has them, also, and probably other distributors.

The Gualandi REX, SPARK and G1227 are 7/8oz wads and likewise, PR has them too, and Grafs, also, I believe.

What is a great wad is BPI's VP-05, and is much cheaper than the Italian wads. BPI is the sole-source distributor for Vagner Plastics (the VP).

Gamliel used to carry the NS24 & 28, by Nobel Sport (Fiocchi). I don't know if they are just out, or are not carrying them any more.

Bob

14. senior smoke

WandW:
    Thanks for the offer but I will be going for supplies today and will pick some up.
    Steve

To the rest of you thanks for the info. I will also pick up some other wads that you recommend and see what I like best.
    Steve

15. powderburn

powderburn Member

Steve,
    I'd shy away from using the straight walled hulls for 7/8. Stick with the compression hulls-the powder seal is better on them, and they naturally "corral" the powder into a more compact unit that burns better than having it spread out more in the straight walled Fed. hulls. 1oz is as light as i'd go with Fed. cheapo hulls. Just my .02......powderburn

16. Hemlock

Hemlock Member

There is a clone 7/8 oz wad designed for the straight wall case. It's a WW12L clone, lime green Claybuster CB6100-12. It's for 7/8 and 1 oz loads. The mfg. says it's .020 larger in diameter. I use them in Top Gun and Estate cases with Titewad powder. They crimp just fine.

Ken

17. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I do argee with powderburn for the 7/8 oz in straightwall to a big extent. I have had the best luck with 7/8 in the old Win Dove & Quail 6 point hulls. I have shot some of these in Fed Gold Medal & the hulls like Rio & Fiocchi seem to do better. But the taper AA & STS & Win gray wad really are the best for 7/8

18. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

Try this...I have reloaded thousands of them and they work fine. Velocity is around 1250 but recoil is not bad.

AA hull, Win209, TGT12 wad, 7/8 oz. shot, 18 or just a bit over grains of Clays. I use the grey wad for 3/4 oz. loads. For some reason, the gray wad will not crimp well for me and gets "pregnant". You can sub a STS hull but expect a bit of a dished in crimp. They still go off fine however.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.