1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need .410 recipe; Rem STS Hulls , Rem wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sam Ogle, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

I've a .410 loader, Rem STS Hulls, Rem Wads, Win 209 primers I use for everything.

A Brother in law uses 410 Powder.

Any better or alternative suggestions?

I am an old trap shooter who likes Trap, Skeet, 5 stand, sporting clays, birds.
    I shot a few rounds of .410 with the brother in law, and wow...liked it.
    I am way too old to become a 100 straight shooter, but just shoot for the love of it.
    Sam Ogle, Lincoln, Ne

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

15.4 grains of H110 (or 296, same powder w/ a different label on the bottle), with what you already have otherwise, is about the best .410 load you could ever hope for. H110/296 will give your hulls the longest possible life, anything else cuts the hull life by at least 25%

BTW, my 2010 .410 average with that exact shell was .9811, 10th on the NSSA High-Average list. I've acquired 1000 Win AAHS .410 hulls which I want to use, but I'm afraid to change my .410 load based on past performance LOL.

3. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

As stated above been using same load for 25 years--it is VERY good! Phil S.

4. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

Thanks so much fellows. I will try it, and if it works, probably never change.
    I am slow to adapt, and very slow to change.
    I've been using the same 1 ounce trap load for over 20 years. It ain't broke, so I ain't fixed it. I tried the exact same recipe for sporting clays with 7/8 ounce, and hammered targets.
    I've enough old 12 Gauge AA's to last me as long as I am on the planet, so am happy about that.

God Bless all,
    Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

5. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Sam, You are fortunate indeed. I have about 10,000 new AA's I'd love to trade for the GOOD old ones. No one in their right mind would agree to that. Good luck Phil S.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The old standby is H11/296.

15.5 is the dose, I think a #11 bushing.

HM

7. skeet_man

BTW, make sure you are throwing a FULL charge of shot (229 grains is NSSA Max), you'll need it to make everything a good tight fit. Also, don't be afraid to put 50-60lbs of wad pressure on as well, makes the shells much more consistent that way.

8. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I used to load H110 for skeet, but had a off sounding load from time to time. Started loading Alliant 410 right after it became available. Have not had any off sounding loads since. Have been very pleased. I don't shoot registered skeet, just play. I load 12.0 gr. I also have given up on STS cases due to poor case life. Have found best case life with the new AA HS 410 case. My field load is AA HS case, Fed 209A primer 16.2gr. H110, Sp410 wad and a full .5oz. of extra hard shot. Bill

9. skeet_man

Assuming you are getting a consistent drop of shot and powder, the off sounding shell problem lies with a lack of wad pressure.

10. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

skeet_man, that is excellent shooting. Could you please provide a little more info on your load? Which primer do you use with the 15.4gr load? This sounds like it would be about a 1200fps load....what velocity do you get out of this load? How many loads do you get out of a hull?

11. 25deadbirds

25deadbirds TS Member

"a full 5oz. of extra hard shot. Bill"

Bill,

That must be a funny looking .410 shell to fit 5 oz of lead in it! OK. Just a chuckle for your typo.

12. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

25deadbirds, I was thinking the same thing. I am trying to buy a .410 reloader and was going to try his recipe.
    Don

13. skeet_man

winchester primer for competition, usually cheddite or fiocchi for practice b/c I'm cheap (don't change anything else). No clue on the actual velocity, but I'd guess its pretty close to 1250. I get 2 reloads on an STS that pass muster for competition (3 tends to be stretching it for the quality of reload I'm looking for, I don't like sitting there sunday with 3 good events toward HOA under my belt, then be looking at ratty .410s), then probably another 4 or 5 for practice.

I had a friend who was using 2400, it was pretty much one and done for him based on how quickly it ate through hulls.

14. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

skeet_man, I have shot STS factory 410 in competition for several years, but I too am looking for a AAHS hull load that will carry 229gr of mag#9 shot at 1250fps, but have had a difficult time getting that much shot into the hull and getting a good crimp (too full). I have found a load on the Hodgdon website that calls for 15.3gr H110 powder, Federal 209A primer, HS wad and runs at 1250fps. I have tried it and it fits nicely in the hull with 229gr shot and I can get a nice crimp. If you use the Winchester 209 primer, Hodgdon says to use 16.3gr H110 to get 1250fps and with this load I have had trouble with the hull being too full to get a good crimp. Yes, the extra grain of powder does make that much difference. Oh, and I am using 50lbs ram pressure on my MEC grabber.

15. skeet_man

I tried a couple loading everything the same as I did the sts, including the rem wad, and it didn't even come close to fitting. My dad has some of the claybuster hs wads, will have to give some of those a try. With as much confidence as I have w/ my sts handloads, I may just live with less hull life, rather than try and work up a completely new load, something which took me quite a while last time I did it.

16. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

tractorboy, what is the load that you found? inquiring minds want t know as I am about ready to start loading the Lil ones myself.
    Don

17. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

From the Hodgdon website in the reloading guide section:

Hull: Winchester HS

Shot: 1/2 oz lead (NSSA rules allow up to 229 grains)

Powder: 15.3 grains H-110 (Winchester 296 is the same powder)

Wad: Winchester HS (or Claybuster HS)

Primer: Federal 209A

Hodgdon says this load has a muzzle velocity of 1250 fps and 10,200 PSI.

18. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thanks guys, fixed the typo. Bill

19. fly

fly Active Member

little gun is a better powder, it won't leak through the bar like H110/296 will, and you can use less. Don't forget to get a Smooth Operator, unless your loader (MEC9000) has one on it.

20. skeet_man

It may not leak like H110 (which I have very little of on my 9000, and the only reason i have any is b/c I've been too lazy to buy another PC powder baffle, w/ one of those installed I have no leakage whatsoever), but is one of the worst offenders as far as burning through hulls (right up there w/ 2400).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.