1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need 303 Repair

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dt10john, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dt10john

dt10john Member

Went to the Grand back in August. I purchased two Briley Action Closers. The guys at Briley did the install.

Went to shoot sporting clays and I got on station one and shot the first bird of a report pair and the second shell didn't follow into the chamber. Thought at first it was the shells but when I went to the car to retrieve my backup gun it did the same thing.

When I go home checked my duck gun which is also a 303 and no problems. That one didn't get a closer. Should I call Briley or take it to a local gun smith? I live in Ann Arbor,Mi any suggestions for whom to call?

Regards,

John

2. cfchief

cfchief Member

JUST SEND IT TO TRON

3. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

It has become a common problem with these aftermarket buttons. Angleport as well. What you need to do if you are capable is pull it out and take a flat file and remove some of the surface material that comes in contact with the brass on the shells in the magazine tube. In some of them it is a little too thick and simply needs filed down some. Problem is you need to install and shoot to find out if is enough to allow the second shell to release form the mag tube. Let us know how the gun looks after it jams. Is the second shell still in the mag tube or is it on the carrier? Is the carrier caught in the up position with the shell on it? They can also cause timing issues if they are dragging on the carrier and slowing it down.

4. dt10john

dt10john Member

The shell never comes out of the tube. When I push the button it clicks but the shell won't come and the carrier won't move either. I should have just left the gun alone and never had it installed on the two guns.

5. dt10john

dt10john Member

Never shot the gun. Shame on me for assuming it would work.

6. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

John it is a very easy fix. A flat file and a little patience. Very well worth it in the long run.

7. dt10john

dt10john Member

File it in the gun or take it out?

8. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Briley,Did the work and you paid them to do it. They are the first person you call, if you can't get satisfaction then and only then consider another avenue. I don't understand why people don't allow the person who supplied a service or a product an opportunity to correct the situation, it's not fair to them or you.

Understand this, if you or someone other than the supplier of a service or product tries to correct the situation, then all bets are off.

Surfer

9. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

John where are you located. If you are close i would be very happy to help. The button needs removed to file it. I take it from your post you are no where near Briley or any place they could take care of the problem for you.

10. dt10john

dt10john Member

I am in Ann Arbor,MI

I am going to call briley today.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Didn't Briley test fire the gun? If they didn't they never finnished the job. HMB

12. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

This is fairly common had it happen to me had my gunsmith fix it and now we check them right away when installed. Only took him a few minutes to fix only happens on some of the guns but should be fired after installation. If you send the guns to Briley they will need the whole gun so they can shoot it but is a simple fix I would look for a local guy that installs closers and have him do it shipping 2 guns for this problem is over kill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.