1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need 27 yd PROMO load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bernie K, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Just went to promo and need a 27 yd. load. Federal top gun, remington primer, 1 1/8 oz. federal wad. Any help would be appreatied.

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bernie... Mash on the link above and you will have all of Alliants recommended loads using Promo...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

As long as you keep it under 1200 fps.. you're fine.. any faster.. I would suggest Green Dot or Unique for 1 1/8oz.. If you go to the Alliant website.. all data is provided..

4. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Thanks trap2. Bern

5. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

If the link does not have what you need and not being sure of your definition of exactly what a "Handicap Load" is...

2004 Alliant Reloaders'Guide has:

Fed Plastic Shell with Rolled Paper Base Wad (Top Gun hull); Fed 12S3 Wad; 1 1/8 oz shot; Rem 209P primer;

20 grs Red Dot/Promo by weight = 1200 f/s 9200 psi

22 grs Red Dot/Prom = 1255 f/s 10300 psi

Jason

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I load Top Gun hulls with 19.5 Promo, Down Range Windjammer Wad, Rio Primer, w 1 1/8th oz #7 1/2s this is a very good 27 yard load.

I only re-load that hull once, I had a friend loading them several times and the base wad came out and lodged in the Bbl and he fired another round and put a bulge in his Ljutic Centenial Bbl and he did it a 2nd time and put in another bulge and bent the Bbl up, he had to have a gunsmith use a Bbl bender to bend the Bbl back down and straighten the the rib between the posts, $2500 of damage to have Bbl replaced.

Promo is a very good powder and is slightly slower burning than Red Dot but you need a scale when selecting a bushing, I use a scale on everything I load.

Just use caution on reloading the Top Gun Hulls, I suggest using them in a break open gun, also a P W loader may contribute to releasing the base wad whereas a Mec will tend to seat it during priming operation.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Dr.longshot

Apparently, Promo and Red Dot are almost, if not identical for "burning rate". If you notice that all of the recent published data for Red Dot and Promo use the same charge weights and develop the same pressures and velocities. If the data is to be believed, then your statement is not correct. The "density" of both powders is different and would likely require different bushings to obtain the same charge weights.

There is some data for these hulls in the older Alliant manuals. Alliant says that data for the Gold Medal hulls could be used. Generally, I find that the Gold Medal loads develop a little less velocity in the "Top Gun" hulls.

8. wanderer

wanderer Member

When the Alliant manual refers to "Gold Medal", are they referring to the new smooth sided gold medal, or the old "riefenhauser"(sp) gold medal hulls? Maybe I am the only one using the older hulls? GEG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.