1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need 20 ga. loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fishguts, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishguts

fishguts Member

I need recomendations for 20 ga. loads, 7/8th. and 1 oz. I have all the manuals and websites, but I want to avoid having to randomly pick loads. Would like a few tried and true loads. Looking for 1200 to 1300 fps.

Also, any information on the various types of hulls in use would be appreciated. Interchangability, stay away froms,..etc.

Thanks,

Wayne

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

For years I used 15.5 of unique in AA or Remington hulls, with AA or clone wads. This load is very stable velocity wise, I had a deviation of only 15 FPS when I checked it years ago.

Presently I am using Universal, because international filled the case too much. I can use the same load in Federal/Estate hulls, and it seems to work fine, just a little slower. I'm using a 15.5 grain charge and a AA clone.

One ounce 20 guage loads is a little hairy. You will need to investigate stuff like 7625, Longshot, and other stuff that's a little slower. Pressure comes quite soon with the heavier payload.

HM

3. Landshark

Landshark Member

My favorite 20 ga load is 7/8oz, Rem STS hull and primer, orange Duster wad and IMR 7625.

4. d endicott

d endicott Member

I use 18 gr. 800x

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Look at Longshot and Herco data..

6. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Remington STS/Gun Clubs, Remington primer, RXP or Orange Duster wads, Universal Clays, 8 1/2 or 9 shot. I'm not interested in reloading 1 oz. 20 gauge shells. I'd rather buy my hunting shell outright.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Winchester AA hulls (old or new) <br>
    WAA20 Wads <br>
    Win209 Primers (or Nobelsport) <br>
    7/8 ounces of shot <br>
    14.5 grains of Hodgdon Universal Clays

NOTE: This is less powder than the load tables indicate, but I contacted Hodgdon and they said it would be OK, plus, I've been using this load for years without problem.

That said, if you decide to try this load I recommend you contact Hodgdon to confirm rather than taking my word for it.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I use about the same load as halfmile and it suites my 20ga needs very well. I did try some faster 7/8oz loads using Longshot, but I didn't care for those shells at all.

If I have need for 1oz shells, I just load up some for my 12ga. Recoil can get a little harsh using 1oz loads in a 20ga.

ss

9. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

I like unique for 7/8 and 1 oz loads both moderate speeds. For a good 1 oz'er in hunting loads I use 571 and HS7. Neither are available any longer and Iam sorry but I don't have enought to spare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.