1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Neck problem/Head position

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by k80 hopeful, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k80 hopeful

k80 hopeful TS Member

I am just recovering from a neck injury and will no long have the neck flexibility that I once had. My question is now that I will no longer be able to put my head as far forward on the stock, would getting a gun with an adjustable comb and or butt plate help solve my problem. My thinking is that if I lowered the butt plate some and raised the comb higher in order to keep my head more upright, would this be a shootable option? Thanks. Jean

2. m70win

m70win Member

A gun with a high rib might help also.

Tim

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

To keep your head more erect, you can add a high rib (Keensights, Devault, Dave Berlet) and then raise your comb proportionally. It will probably require longer comb posts on your comb. You can raise your rib parallel to your existing rib, or if you find your gun shoots too low now, taper the rib to help raise your POI. This may change the left/right setting on your comb as well, so you'll have to put it on pattern board, but I assume you know that.

4. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

I also have a neck problem (cervical verterate bone spur) which caused many problems in shotgunning. I helped this quite a bit with a raised rib, allowing for a more upright head position. Note that simply raising the comb will cause the gun POI to be high. The solution for this is an add on rib (Keen Sights make some great ones to order, as well as offering an adjustable rib). In my case, I added a half inch high rib, then raised the comb a half inch to maintain the poi. Worked great. You can also have Vicki machine the rib to change the poi if desired. Just let them know what the current poi is, and what you would like to change it to. I can now shoot for extended periods of time without the attendant neck and back pain I previously had after a shooting session.

5. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I went through several fine guns, keen ribs and numerous comb/butt plate configuerations trying to get away from neck pain and flinching. The answer came in the form of a PFS. I could have saved a lot of money by getting one up front. You can make the PFS fit your neck/face/rib, etc. and at the same time reduce felt recoil to a very manageable hit. Do it now and save money.

JON

6. 2@8lo

2@8lo TS Member

I found myself to be in the same situation and like chiefjon found the PFS to be the answer.My chiropractor actualy was the one that figured out that improper gunfit was the reason for my very severe headaches.I bought a new gun and shot it for a year and never realized that was about when the headaches started, daily not just when I shot. The continued improper gunfit had caused nerve damage in my neck and that in turn caused the headaches. The PFS has eliminated that and it is now enjoyable to shoot again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.