1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Neck injuries due to recoil

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dzeh, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dzeh

dzeh Member

I've posted a few times about reducing recoil and you guys have given me great advice. Had my first epidural steroid injection the other day for my 3 herniated discs in my neck. First days that I haven't had headaches! I'm just curious as to how many trap shooters have suffered neck trauma, disc problems etc. as a result of frequent shooting. I spoke with a former colleague that I worked for years ago who was an avid trap and skeet shooter. Quite a competitor who ended up retiring from shooting after he had three discs in his neck fused. How many of you guys have or know of people suffering this and is there hope for those that live with this condition and are "addicted" to shooting? I know the best advice is recoil reduction, 7/8 loads etc. but no matter what you're still going to have some felt recoil. Thanks for your input!

2. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

I had C 4,5,and 6 fused, but not due to shooting. My surgeon told me not to shoot for at least 3 months after surgery. That was 4 years ago and I have been shooting ever since with no problems

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I know the feeling well! Arthritis in my neck and back is pain at every shot from old job injuries. That's one of the reasons I moved to AZ and I'm certainly glad I did! My score card can be read as "dry days" or very "humid days" even here. I use a heavy gun with very light loads and a recoil reducing stock and it does help on certain days. Hap

4. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Fused C6-7 several years ago, had neck injected twice in the last 4 mounths; I refuse to believe shooting has anything to do with it. Actualy I cannot tell any diference in my neck symptoms when I shot or when I lay off for a few weeks. Advantages include not needing a glove for my left hand when shooting the P gun, because I can't feel the forearm metal burning my hand. AJ

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I have disc degeneration in three locations in the neck and I certainly know when I've shot a week long big shoot or even a 600 bird weekend from pain/stiffness in the neck and headaches. My neck is one of the reasons that I load light and limit the number of shots in a period of time. I now have about 4 different locations in the body, low back, R. arm, neck, feet, requiring this routine and recognize that I may be at a pivotal point in my shooting experience. 7/8 oz and 1 oz loads have extended my shootin' life and 100 sporting birds for the day is every bit as much fun, maybe more, than a 300 bird Saturday at trap....breakemall....Bob Dodd

6. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Does recoil cause the herniated/fused discs, or does it simply exascerbate it?

Perhaps we're blaming something that wasn't the cause at all?
    I sympathyze with those of you who feel pain when you shoot, but how does one know what caused the affliction? Since I'm no doctor, I'm asking......

If my girlfriend rakes her nails down my sunburned back, do I blame her or do I blame me for getting the sunburn in the first place.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

code5coupe, in my case, I'm fairly certain shooting exacerbates my condition but after all the on-duty injuries, age, and shooting shotguns for 35 years, it would be hard to pin down the exact origin of my disk desease....Bob Dodd

8. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I my case it was probably doing my Christopher Reeve imitation from a horse in my youth, I didn't wake up for 3 days. And I had a few other horse related problems. AJ

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Does this mean we can sue all the manufacturer's of guns I've shot, or do I have to sue the shotgun shell people.

Someone let me know and get back to me, as I want to spend those millions I'm going to get from them on..................more guns and shells.............lol lol

Hauxfan!

10. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Regardless of the original cause of the injury or degeneration, I would think that a high gun mount with the correct drop at the heel in addition to a correct body posture would minimize or eliminate most spinal-related problems.

There are still a lot of shooters who shoot with their necks leaned forward due to a low gun mount or too little drop at the heel on their stocks.

Rollin

11. DS-AA

DS-AA Member

I'm now relegated to .410 skeet unless I want a monster headache.

Old sucks!

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Rollin, you're absolutely correct! Up-right is better overall, however, when it's pain time shooting for me, head position don't matter much in the pain relief department. Then, even the slightest recoil to my shoulder snaps the neck some and it's painful but I do anyway. Gives new meaning to raising the head. Hap

13. spritc

spritc Active Member

Damn, what loads are you guys shooting? If a load jerked me that bad I'd be looking at a much lighter load or a new gun.

56 and still no pain in the neck, thank God!

Steve

14. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

Would a PFS help?

Arnie

15. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I don't notice the pain until the event is over. AJ

16. mirage1

mirage1 Member

dzeh,
    It seems I have the same problem. After an MRI I was told the 3, 5 and I
    believe 7 disks are slightly bulged. This cause muscle spasms in the side
    of my neck, teeth pain and headaches. I tried P/T for 12 weeks but that seemed
    to make it worse. I was told it was degenerative with a some arthritis.
    I am waiting to see a neuloogist. I would be interested to know if your
    epidural steroid shot was helpful? I think 35 years of shooting can catch-up
    with you.
    Joe

17. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    Coincidentally, I received an e-mail this morning that I’d like to share (with the author’s kind permission). I could not (and definitely would not) make this up.

Michael,
    I purchased a Beretta 682 Super Trap from a fellow shooter in Sioux City, Iowa with a G-Square recoil system.

I have had numerous neck problems and now have a bone fusion and plate; the G-Square system has kept me shooting !!  It is a dream system when compared to "Bumpbuster" or "Soft Touch".

Thanks for the good work.

Al King
    LeMars, Iowa

18. dzeh

dzeh Member

Mirage1, 3 days out and the headaches are almost gone. Have another injection scheduled in 3 weeks. I did the P/T thing; even got a traction device as well as a muscle stimulator. The P/T did help some but paying someone to pull on my head was getting expensive. Insurance only allowed so many visits. I guess I could have asked my wife but I think she'd rather put a noose around it instead. Of course that was all before an MRI diagnosed the discs. Mine were 3,4,5 if I recall correctly. Keeping my fingers crossed and nervously contemplating shooting sporting clays Sunday.

19. 2@8lo

2@8lo TS Member

I have suffered from severe headaches due to neck ailments for approx 2 years.I can't say for sure what caused the nerve damage in my neck but I can tell you exactly when it started.I have shot for about 12 years with no problems(neck or headaches that is)I was shooting a browning 425 with briley tubes and had good results with it.The last year I used it I ended the season with a 99.2% average.I had an opportunity to upgrade guns for next to nothing so I did and got a 682 gold with Kolar tubes.I was very pleased with the gun but struggled with scores for a while which I expected,but I also started noticing I was getting some screaming headaches and soon they were happening everyday not just when I shot so I never put the 2 together.After about a year of living with this and seeing many doctors I became good friends with a chiropractor that came into my business almost daily.He figured out that I had suffered alot of damage to my neck and that was causing my headaches.He would work on me and get me straightened out a couple times a week.Once we realized that my pain was worse on Fridays and Mondays he said we had to figure out why.(I practiced on Thursday nights and went away to shoots on the weekends)hence the Friday and Monday pain.He had me put my gun together and mount it while he looked at my geometry all the way around in a 360 degree circle and found that my new gun was the problem as it didn't come close to fitting me and it put my neck at the worst possible angle.Between the angle of my neck and then add to that the punch from the recoil 400-600 times a week he said he was surprised that I hadn't passed out from the pain.I am a left handed shooter and knew that the 682 was a right handed gun but did not realize how extreme right handed it was.A friend hooked me up with a PFS stock and left handed grip and set it up and I was almost instantly pain free.I still have to go to Doc to get fixed up about once a month but I feel 99% better,if this doctor who at this point knew nothing about shooting or guns hadn't taken the extra time and looked at all angles I would have had to give up shooting.If anyone else had told me that my gun didn't fit I would have told them their crazy,how then do you explain the 99.2 average.I can't stress enough now the importance of gun fit.It makes a difference in alot more than just your scores.Have some one that knows fit you up.It's probably the best shooting investment you could make....

20. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Here is a stupid idea I did but it works. I have suffered for years with neck and back pains. I got tired of going to the chiropractor and paying when the insurance ran out so I went to the Walmart store and bought the cheapest vibrating sander I could find. I epoxied a bunch of rubber chair bottoms to it. I usually have to pay my wife in some way to rub me down but but let me tell you, it really works! Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can gun recoil cause back pain

can shotgun recoil causes heather problems
can you get a disc injury from recoil
neck recoil
problems shooting free recoil shooting
recoil and neck injuries
recoil and neck problems