1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nebraska State Shoot Targets

Discussion in 'Shoot Information, EVENTS, Clinics & Results' started by Dennisw, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

Any opinions on the targets ? Anybody else have problems breaking the targets ?

2. gasman03

gasman03 Member

Oh ya I do have an opinion but not nice to be put on here. This will kill the Nebraska State shoot. You got Ricky Marshall breaking 80's J. Denny in the 50's Stacy B from Colo. breaking a 65. Something needs to change but it bout to late.

Corey

3. Dust-Em

Dust-Em Member

Not sure what is wrong but the targets are hard to break. Went out on the trap field and picked up some targets wasent hard to find whole targets full of holes. Some have as many as 9 holes in them and not broken. Some of the best shooters in the US are here very low scores.

4. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

Yeah i broke a 68 today..
    Dust-em, can you post a picture of them??

5. Dust-Em

Dust-Em Member

Could not get them to download. Will keep trying.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Who's targets?

7. gasman03

gasman03 Member

They are White Flyer Pitch targets. They have had there people out there last 2 days. I know there are some people that won't be coming back to this state shoot. It is a real shame to watch the averages and hopes of adults and kids there go down at the hands of someone else.

Corey

8. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

i will never shoot the Nebraska state shoot again, it was bad last year and worse this yea,r the white flyer at theKansas state shoot we're too soft and did not go through the machines well, so for the Nebraska state shoot the made thim harder. the targets were a tiny bit smaller in length but were quite a bit thicker. these were experimental targets and new targets were replaced with bad ones, the score keepers are not the best, im considering going to the Ohio state shoots next year

9. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

At the Kansas State Shoot a couple of weeks ago, about every 10th target was broken out of the house. They broke so easy that over 1/3 of the shooters in every handicap event got punched with a 96 or higher. That normally runs about 5 to 10 percent instead of 33%.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

As soon as we start using targets made in China we will be OK. HMB

11. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

That is a year ago.

jim brown

12. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

It was Jim, I didn't look close enough before I posted.

13. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

Hey RickN, This is a current post, started on June 21 2012.. YES This years targets, not last years, which I understand were not much better

14. bh

bh TS Member

any place to go for scores?

15. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

I cant find any, I think they are afraid to post them...

16. mink man

mink man TS Member

i was there and targets were tough. White flyer stepped up and took the heat
    for the differance in targets. they stated that they needed to try something
    differant due to the problems that they had in kansas with breakage. Hopefully Nebraska will get pat traps and try to save their shoot. Talked with many fine folks who say they will not go back until they get pat's put in.

17. Aulovel5

Aulovel5 TS Member

LETTER FROM PHIL MURRAY:
    To: White Flyer Distributors Gun Club Managers/ Personnel
    Subject: New White Flyer Targets

Hi All:

Recently you may have noticed receiving orders from White Flyer/ Webb City in which a memo was attached to each pallet stating “Tooling Change was made on these targets and readjustment of the splitter or knife may be necessary”. What basically occurred was that the first step of the target was lowered by about fifteen-thousandths. In talking to gun clubs in the Midwest that have received these ‘newer’ targets, adjustments have been minimal, but the shooters have remarked that these ‘newer’ targets are different in that they ‘smoke’ better than the ‘older’ WF targets! Rumors started that WF mixed bio ingredients into this target and this is why it ‘smokes’ a light, grayish color. Other rumors were that the dimensions, plus weights, have been changed and it is a completely new target. Quite frankly, a lot of misinformation is going on out there and we felt it necessary to contact you and ask you to please pass this memo onto your customers & gun clubs.

First and foremost, this ‘newer’ target is different in only two areas, the height of the first step and its composition. They still undergo a 27-step process of quality control to measure weights and concentricity- the specs which are weight mandated by the ATA and other organizations have NOT changed.

The main difference and the thing that shooters are commenting about is the fact that when centered, instead of the ‘black sootball’, you get a whitish, gray picture of the smoked target. This is where the only change has been made to this target- a different style of pitch is now being used that is lighter in color and therefore causes the target to ‘smoke’ whitish, gray. Outside of this pitch change, no other aspect, other than the very first step, are any different. Extensive testing has been done on these ‘newer’ targets and in our testing, we found that they actually break/ smoke better that their older AA pitch counterpart. There is no question that when smoked, against a dark background, they could be mistaken for our biodegradable target that smokes a whitish color. It will take a bit of getting used to with this lighter smoke, but overall we feel this is a better target. At the current time, this ‘newer’ target will only be produced at our Webb City, Missouri, target plant. Hence, many shoots in the Midwestern US will receive these targets over the next few months.

We wanted to dispel any of the rumors out there that they were suddenly shooting a totally new WF target because they weren’t. Hopefully this clears up the misconceptions about what you will be using and what to expect. Should you and your gun clubs have any questions, please feel free to call me directly at our Houston office @ 713-626-1843.
    -------------------------

A lot of people had their own opinions and white flyer didn't like it to much. It seemed like a combination of targets and the super star traps. But that email doesn't explain why you could walk out and find targets with 5-8 holes in them not broke. Does anybody know what they said at the annual meeting Sunday about the targets

18. 870shooter

870shooter Member

Nebraska has been plagued for a few years, untrained kids keeping score, no one paying attention if the traps were full, wornout superstar traps, three years in a row, I was on a squad that had traps run out of targets in the middle of the event, I heard the same from many people, I went back this year hoping it would be better, it was not, I think people did try, how can you forsee this kind of issue with the targets, but I really don't think I will go back next year, might go to Minnesota or Iowa, but I won't be back to Donaphin. I hope things change, crappy machines, untrained help, and 8$ sandwiches i do not need (sandwiches were good, but not 8$ good) did not stay for the meeting- I heard it before

19. Ken Brandt

Ken Brandt Active Member

870 shooter;

And you know the trap's are worn out, How???

20. 870shooter

870shooter Member

Ken, I guess really i dont, but from what I have seen the last few years of the targets thrown, and from the comments I heard from the people setting them, it is an assumption on my part-either way, I wont be back next year. I would rather save what small amount of money i have to spend on shooting to shoot somewhere else, the first few years i was there, 06, 07, 08, I thought the targets were good, but the last few they were not. It has been a big point of discussion at the grounds the last few years. Maybe in the past few years they just were not been properly set, I don't know, but the machines as an issue has been discussed. Have you been there the last several years? what is your assesment?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

nebraska state trapshooting results last 5 years