1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Neat video of drilling for shale oil

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, May 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I wonder what they AREN'T telling us.

Does anyone know how the corner drilling technology works? I assume the drill bit itself begins turning. If I am getting this the drill sections remain straight because the radius of bend is quite large.

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Can't answer your question, but thanks for putting that up here, I always wondered what and how they did it

I don't see why we aren't drilling here

3. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

I beleive that when the drilling rig reaches the point that they want to start the curve, a peice of equipment that is called a whipstock is entered in the hole and set a certain dept and angle, so when the drill bit hits it , it will turn the direction they want it to go, I know this sounds crazy, but that is basicly what happens. Well lets say that was the way of the 50's and 60's.

4. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

That was educational. Thanks for posting. John

5. kenf

kenf Active Member

Very good video that tells it how it is. Aside from engineering details, they didn't leave anything out.

They don't use a whipstock much anymore, the face of the bit is gradually changed to build the curve and the changed back to zero to drill the lateral out.

6. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I guess this is NOT the technology that the present administration wants to expand! And talks about all the the time!

Great video!

Bet ya its not going to see the lite of day in our school system! Except if it can be used to show the destruction that oil platforms do to the environment!

Just an observation of our present educational system.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Obama was to busy tracking down Osama bin Laden, he will be back in the drilling fields once he has taken another vacation to recover from all he has done to aid in his re election in 2012 ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Interesting. A great way to steal oil and gas from your land without paying you.

9. larryjk

larryjk Member

smsnyder, They didn't talk about the location logging of the well bore in this video. Believe me, and I was a federal compliance inspector, the logging tells you exactly where the hole goes, and where it ends. All mineral right owners that have their production zones penetrated by the well bore share in the proceeds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.