1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NCAA: HOLDING THE GUILTY RESPONSIBLE

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by fssberson, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I am tired of the NCAA penalizing schools for the actions of the schools' athletes. Classic case is Reggie Bush ... how does the school know IF the parents are paying their rent when landlord is waiving the rent on a "wink - wink" basis. The school gets penalized and the athlete or coach moves to the NFL {NBA} for big money. SOLUTION: In the players scholarship agreement or coaches contract there is a 20% penalty clause that states if you are found in violation of NCAA rules, you pay 20% of your first year's salary as either a transfer or to the pros. So a $5,000,000 a year player forfits $1,000,000 to the school to make up for lost TV revenue and scholarships. This is a civil action and holds responsible the athlete who blatantly violates the rules and then moves on.

Your opinions are welcomed. Fred

2. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Stop pretending that big-time college athletics are amateur. Colleges and Universities should do away with organized athletic teams - no scholarships for athletics, no paid coaches, no more "student athletes" who stay in school only as long as athletic eligibility remains or they jump to the pros. Let the pro leagues fund their own minor leagues.

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Cut out all sports in high school and college. Schools should be learniung places, not a place to hone ones athletic ability.

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

College sports have turned into a joke, just to make money, I seldom watch sports, but did watch some bowl games, the players looked like a bunch of ex-cons with all the tatoos, dreadlocks etc

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Who cares?

It'd more entertaining to watch a street firefight in front of a crackhouse in Philly...

The school's powers-to-be are well aware of the trash they pick and now have to pay for those wonderful decisions.

Curt

6. partygirl

partygirl TS Member

Fred, shame on you. Leave ol Reggie alone. He's going out with Kim Kardashian. Is that like finding an unwrapped whopper on the street? I just hope he's healthy for the next game.

7. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Poor pitiful Reggie. Fred

8. partygirl

partygirl TS Member

Zardozforty: You're thinking of Kramer.

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

EE: I am thinking that every athlete is warned about the rules, breaks them, and then gets big money to move on, leaving the school holding the "bag". If I am on the team and someone breaks the rules, so what is the penalty? On this web site, I read about taking personal responsibility, but there is none for these athletes OR coaches. Fred

10. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

First, I'm a teacher so I have a pro-education bias. Now that the cards are on the table; here's my point. One need only read the letters OJ wrote (tried to write is a better description) to see why college athletics needs a good house cleaning. OJ was a student in good standing as USC but his letters to Nicole resemble those of a functionally illiterate man. How could that be? How does one remain in good standing with a famous university when one can't write a cogent sentence? It's simple really. Athletics writes its own rules and the public endorses those policies in the name of entertainment. We cause the problem. We hold the solution. Stop pandering to sports. Put them on the back burner where they belong. College is for scholarly work. It should never be a boot camp for pro athletic teams. We ladies and gentlemen, have our priorities greatly skewed.

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

USC has always been a dirty school.

Heck, just ask Pete Carroll...he finally got enough and left.

It's a cesspool.

12. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

buzz,,,,kind of funny timing with the NCAA investigation getting ready to come down,,,,

13. crusha

crusha TS Member

Timing worked out just fine for ol' Petey, eh?

14. tj303

tj303 Member

The NCAA is a monopoly that exists for its own benefit not for the athletes benefit. It makes millions (billions?) on football and basketball but won't let an athlete get anything.

15. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Division 1 athletics are nothing but big business driven by tv revenue. Talented players on competitive teams are treated as indentured servants making tons of money for their schools.

Pretending those kids who are incapable of even minimally acceptable academic performance are college students is inexcusable. Allowing them to dunce along in make believe classes only to dump them when eligibility runs out is unconscionable. I can't blame players for getting what they can - when they can.

Bobby Knight was arguably the biggest horse's patoot that ever drew a breath but his players were required to pass REAL classes in REAL college degree programs. A remarkably high percentage earned degrees. Whatever shortcomings Knight may have had, you gotta give him credit for insisting his players get an education.

sissy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.