1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Navy Pilots have BIG ONES!!!! Part 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigdogtx, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Still Amazed!!!!

2. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

The best pilots in the world.

3. Turn 4

Turn 4 TS Member

Roger That... the 1% of the 1%

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Makes you wonder how poor, old dumb George W Bush managed to get carrier qualified. Unless, just maybe he isn't as dumb as the MSM wanted us to believe.

5. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

JBrooks, I don't believe President Bush was carrier qualified as a pilot. However, he did fly Air Force F-102 Delta Daggers, no mean feat in itself.

Best,
    Dennis

6. 1290FPS

1290FPS Member

Just a note for clarification: The Navy does not have Pilots. The Navy has Aviators.

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

George HW Bush the father was the youngest navel officer aviator of WW 11 for the ignorant ones. His son George W served as a F-102 fighter pilot in the Air Guard until a change in assignment led to his resignation.

I'm pretty sure this is accurate.

Joe

8. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Papa Bush flew Grumman Avengers Until shot down(and maybe after) near Iwo Jima.
    TBF/TBM pilots and crews Had GREAT big ones.

Larry

9. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

You are right Dennis. I must of had his Dad in mind when the aircraft carrier thing flashed through. However, dummies don't make it through flight school.

10. bigdogtx

Larry, can you expand on TBF/TBM for those that are not seaworthy? Thanks.

11. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

TBM/TBF Avengers (I don't know what the diffreence was betweenF/M models) were 3 place(Pilot, Radio man, Ball turret gunner) carrier-based aircraft, capable of dropping torpedos or bombs. The only reason I know the little bit about them that I do, is because my Dad was a gunner on one off the USS Wasp(CV18) in WWII.

Larry

12. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Thanks, Pat, for expanding my knowlege..

Larry

13. bigdogtx

14. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

It has been my good fortune to fly on and off carriers in a COD (never at night or on a pitching deck)numerous times with these remarkable people they are the greatest in my book. When you look look out the window of the COD the ship looks very small and when you are sitting on the cat ready to be fired off I can assure you the adrenilan is pumping and you really hope all that complex mechanical stuff works, and that thre pilot is very good..

The last time I did it was with a young female LT pilot who looked about 13 years old. She put us right down on the wire. I doubt that she was getting paid more than $40K a year and probably had been out of college less than 4 years.

These young Americans are wonderful! I am proud to be associated with them and their ships.

Jim Shoemaker
    Production Manager (ret)
    Norfolk Naval Shipyard

15. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

After returning to NAS Pensacola from CARQUAL on the Lexington there was one common comment, "It was better than sex." Most of had the opportunity to test that theory latter in the evening and there was no argument.

I was in an all Marine flight of five. We were sitting in the locker room back at Mainside, still in a bit of a daze having not completely come down from the adrenalin high, when one of my flight mates said, "That was a fun thing to do on a Wednesday afternoon, but I don;t think I want to do it for a living." This was during 1967 and all Marine Squadrons had been pulled off carriers as we were pretty busy in SE Asia at the time.

Our Navy buddies were all going to be facing a minimum of two six-month WestPac Cruises after Wings.

What a great time to be alive.

HBT

16. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

One of the coolest and best guys I ever worked with ditched off the carrier twice back in the early 60's. First was what I believe is called a "cold cat" shot. The second was he "won" a raffle to ferry a hangar queen off the ship to the Navy boneyard in Litchfield, AZ which meant a week back home as a bonus. Forgetting that the crew chiefs scavenged all the good parts before sending this machine to the smelter it was a surprise when the engine self destructed during launch and he was in the water again. The early jets were not as good as the piston powered machines in those days. Am glad to say he is alive and doing fine in Florida.

17. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

I found it hard to believe a CO would risk pilots, RIO's, flight deck personnel, and some very expensive aircraft to conduct training ops in such dangerous conditions..Good way to be relieved of command for such foolish bravado.

18. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

TBF/TBM

In WW2 the Navy used code to identify it's aircraft.

T= Torpedo, B = Bomber, F = Grumman or M = General Motors

Torpedo Bomber Grumman = TBF

Torpedo Bomber General Motors = TBM (Built under license from Grumman)

Patrol Bomber Consolidated = PBY

Fighter #4 Grumman = Wildcat = F4F.

Fighter #6 Grumman = Hellcat = F6F.

Shoot safe, John

19. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

When I worked at the plant I was always amazed at the high school drop outs who were about to lose their house because they couldn't afford their mortgage. They were behind because their new truck payment was more then they could afford after they bailed their drug addict daughter out of jail. They had spent 25 plus years at a job that only required 1 hour of training and still screw it up. They had attendance issues related to their 3rd DWI conviction. All they knew for sure is that President Bush was the stupidest man who every walked the earth. They would go into great depths explaining how "anyone" could do a better job. I always got a laugh when their entire position was from a liberal commentator that was on TV the night before. I didn't like everything President Bush did, but the man is no dim bulb and I really think he was basically honest. That is more than I think about the MTV candidate "O".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.