1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Naval Air Station Oceana Skeet & Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bentley998, Jul 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bentley998

Bentley998 Member

The Skeet/Trap Rnage at NAS Oceana in Virginia Needs is threatened with closure and needs your help

Open to the public, just off Potters Road in Virginia Beach, Four skeet/trap fields and a five-stand range. Open Wednesday-Sunday each week. Guns and ammunition are available as are instructions for beginners

Wonderful views of the Navys Jet aircraft as they are taking off and landing

Give it a try!!

Bill Myers

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bill, you forgot to add that it is a nice place to shoot.

Pat Ireland

3. cafowler

cafowler Member

Why is it threatened with closure? How exactly can folks on a forum help?

4. Baber

Baber TS Member

probably going the way of Miramar. The Marines closed it a few years ago. Ooo. This sounds so familiar.

TB

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Didn't they just reopen after an earlier closing?

6. BFLip

BFLip TS Member

Just to clear up a little mis-information that may be going around. The mandate from the CO is that the range has to be self-supporting. With the economy, many shooters aren't shooting as much. The number of rounds per month has declined pretty steadily as of late. We'd like to spread the word to get more shooters out, and/or get the regulars out to shoot more.

There's not a formal address per se, since it's on the base and the MWR address is to their rec center office. The directions are:
    I64 East to the I264 East VA Beach exit.
    Take I264 to the Lynnhaven Parkway South exit.
    After the exit, get in the left hand lane and make a left at the light, Potters Road.
    Go approximately 1.5 miles and get in the right thru lane at London Bridge Road (there's a light). Continue on Potters Road approximately 1.5 miles, you'll see the fence and airfield on the right, make a right into the range facility. There's a nice sign on Potters Road, can't miss it.

Regards,
    Randy

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

What would help would be to have some ATA shoots. Hope the range stays open.

8. cafowler

cafowler Member

Maybe try and get some of the SCTP kids teams doing their practicing there. More rounds at a little less of a fee might help the bottom line? If there aren't any high school SCTP teams, maybe some from the club can step up, contact the AD's at all the local high schools, and volunteer to coach the teams? Sounds like you have a real nice combo set-up that would benefit SCTP teams.

Our club at Travis AFB is doing very well after adding a 5-stand last year. No. of rounds per month has doubled, most old skeeters are drawn to the excitement and challenge of the 5-stand.

Maybe reach out to all the NSCA members in the area via e-mail, advertise the public 5-stand to them, most likely it's a less fee than the sporting range over toward Richmond, got to be much nicer folks working at your range than that one, something Forge near Williamsburg. I think the NSCA has made member e-mails available to member clubs for advertising purposes this last year. I got 4 e-mails today from clubs advertising shoots in the next 3 weekends.

Midweek leagues are very popular these days, you can do a member potluck dinner afterwards. We have a Wednesday night league that gets 50-60 shooters every week, starting next wed thru 1st week of Sept. The food spread is impressive, somone even brought a cooked pig with cherry eyes last year. I think most of the 60 come for the food rather than the targets.

Good luck promoting the club.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

nas oceana skeet and trap

nas trap shooting

oceana skeet club

oceana skeet shooting

oceana trap and skeet range

skeet shooting nas oceana