1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nattrass Wins Gold

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dhwbailey, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

Jeers to you, athletes
    Brazilian fans love their own, but also show 'poor etiquette' to opponents
    By ROB LONGLEY, TORONTO SUN

Susan Nattrass of Edmonton won the gold medal in the women's trap event yesterday at the Pan American Games in Rio de Janeiro. (AP photo)
    RIO DE JANEIRO -- The Brazilian fans at the Pan American Games sure love to root, root, root for the home team and good on them for that.

Multi-national events such as these are about patriotic pride and in this case, a chance to wave the green and yellow flag usually reserved for big international soccer matches.

But for a country that has exhaled a great deal of breath and churned out forests of newsprint crying about ugly Americans in recent days, the pot just got somewhat darker.

At age 56, Susan Nattrass has seen a lot in an accomplished career competing around the globe in a mostly genteel sport.

But the friendly Albertan admitted that the unruly throng she faced on her way to a delicious gold medal yesterday soured the taste just a little.

Yes we are talking of that Susan Nattrass, Canada's flag bearer here on Friday, who was competing and getting booed in, of all things, shooting.

Not only that, they cheered when she missed. Did the poor sports at the Deodora Sports Complex not know the lady was armed?

"To cheer for their own shooter when they hit the target, which we don't often see in our sport, is one thing," Nattrass said in an interview on her bus ride back to the athletes' village. "But to cheer when the other shooters miss is just wrong. It's poor etiquette.

"However, I should have expected it with the reputation of the Brazilian fans."

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Good for her!!!!! I stated on another thread, her being Canada's flag bearer wouldn't affect her performance a bit as some prior flag bearers said it affected their shooting performance! WTG (GOLD) lady!! Hap

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

As I've indicated on previous threads, I was smitten with her at the 75 and 75 Grand.

Good for her. I'd bet that the booing just made her concentrate even that much more.

Hice going Suzie.

WW

4. joshif

joshif TS Member

Typical of the low life to cheer a miss.Some of our own are getting that way.

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ok I remember the name Susan Nattrass a long time ago at the grand and she won some major trophies back then but it was after the 75 year.

Anyway I have meet a few of the across the border guys and gals and I would be pleased to shoot with any of them so I am flying the canadanian flag for you guy's tonight.

Foghorn

6. BudLight

BudLight Member

Puerto Rico's Deborah Feliciano, left, Canada's Susan Nattrass, center, and U.S. Corey Cogdell, pose for photos after receiving their medals in the Pan American Games women's trap event in Rio de Janeiro, Tuesday, July 17, 2007. Feliciano won silver, Nattrass gold and Cogdell bronze. (AP Photo/Andre Penner)

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Congratulations for a great performance by a great shooting lady from a great country. God Bless Canada. Way to go Susan, the cream always rises to the top. Bob H.

8. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Susan has always been a great shooter. Congratulations to her for the gold!

Whiz, we must have been thinking the same thing back in the early to mid 70's. I did get the pleasure of meeting Susan in 74 or 75 and she was very nice and approachable, a real pleasure to talk to. Too bad we didn't get to meet back then. We coulda had some fun chasing the cafeteria girls and pullers around the grounds.

John

9. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

Congratulations Susan!

Here are some of Susan's accomplishments listed in the 1998 program when she was inducted into the Trapshooting Hall of Fame.

A shooteer since 1963, when she was 12 years old, Edmonton, Alta. native Susan Nattrass captured several major trophies in ATA competition.

At age 17 Nattrass snared the 1968 Canadian Championships handicap title over the field, and in 1979 she annexed the main high-over-all trophy as well as the women’s singles and all-around crowns.

In 1969, she won the Golden West Grand Handicap Championship with 99 from 21.5 yards, the provincial women’s title for 191 and five ladies’ Grand American awards—including the All-Around crown with 379x400 plus shootoff.

Susan was the Grand All-Around titlist again in 1972 (389), 1976 (378 plus 37 extras) and 1979 (380), and she collected High-Over-All championships in 1972 (946x1,000), 1974 (938) and 1976 (933 plus 46 in overtime). She annexed consecutive Doubles crowns in 1972 and 1973.

She was women’s Champion of Champions in 1974 for a perfect century and again in 1975 and 1976, both after 99 plus 25. In the 1976 and 1978 International championship events, she collected category honors.

Susan broke 198 for the 1977 Clay Target title, and she recaptured it in 1979 for 196 plus 25 straight.

At World Championships from 1974 through 1981, she won six gold medals and set four world records, including a 195 in 1978 which remains the high mark on 200 targets. Additionally, between 1971 and ‘91, she collected three silver and three bronze medals.

At World Cup competitions from 1985 to 1998, she won two women’s Double Trap gold medals p1us numerous silver and bronze awards. Additional International shooting honors in her collection include women’s Double Trap silver at the 1995 Pan Am Games and women’s gold at the Grand Prix of Nations, 1984 through 1986.

She has been inducted into the Canada and Alberta Sports Halls of Fame plus the Alberta Provincial Trapshooting Hall of Fame. Susan has received many additional awards and honors, including the Lou Marsh Trophy as Canada’s Athlete of the Year, the Velma Springstead Trophy as Canada’s Female Athlete of the Year, the Shooting Federation of Canada’s Female Athlete of the Year and Field & Stream magazine’s Rookie of the Year.

In 1998 Susan was inducted into the Trapshooting Hall of Fame with Bob Andrews, Leo Harrison III and Marjorie Smith (Museum Curator).

The Trapshooting Hall of Fame wishes to congratulate Susan on winning the gold medal, for her competitive spirit and wonderful shooting career.

Kenny Ray Estes

10. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The lady is pure class and one heck of a trap shooter. She has done much to promote our sport!

11. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Not to take away from Susan's accomplishments...YOU BETTER START WATCHING COGDELL!!!!

She's from my very own town here in Alaska.

She won her spot on the national team just last year, and now has two bronzes. We don't have a bunker here in Alaska - so she had to move away from home to Texas to practice. Myself and a handful of other guys were sending her what we could each month to keep her in shells and targets while she was down there. I sent her about $500 over the year (not bragging...I was glad to be able to do it) and others sent more.

WHAT AN INVESTMENT IT'S TURNED OUT TO BE!!!!!

Now she's living in Colorado at the training center. Bejing 2008 is riding on her trigger finger...all she has to do is win the fall and spring selection matches and she's the one. There's NOTHING in her way but herself!

I'm just tickled pink...can you tell?

12. ftlupton

ftlupton TS Member

Susan used to shoot a Rem 1100 trap and man could she shoot. Was a pleasure to watch. Good for her, first class lady.
    ftlupton

13. traptraptrap

traptraptrap TS Member

Congratulations Susan!

14. bas

bas Member

Congratulations Susan and also to Corey Cogdell!

15. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Congrat's to both of them. I wish I had an "nth" of their talents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.