1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

National SCTP Champions 2010 Varsity Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trap200, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trap200

Trap200 TS Member

After just my 4th season of trap shooting I can now proudly say I am a National Champion!! I am an A & A shooter in California, Our team traveled to Illinois and shot a score of 985. My personal best of a 197. Now that I have won individually several times, My team won the California state championships and now the national championships too! What a great year! Now having shot my 25, 50, 75, and 100 straights. I need new goals! Any ideas? I love shooting, love my coaches and SCTP. Just wonder what to set my sights at now

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Simple.... Olympic Trap... The US team is always looking for new talent provided that they can soot. You have had a good start now move up to the world wide game.

TB

3. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Well Andrew... when you get done patting yourself on the back perhaps you should look into other disciplines.....

I see you have not shot a single round of registered handicap or doubles in those 4 years.

In my eyes, a true Champion is the HOA or HAA at a major (State, Satellite or Grand American) competition.

You can also look into the International disciplines.

Seriously, Congratulations!! I watched your team shoot and I was very impressed with your form, teamwork and coaching. You earned it with a 985, now show us you can do more than singles!

SW

4. Trap200

Trap200 TS Member

Yes Olympic Bunker is an option I plan to try when the season begins, I have never shot ATA because of the cost. I have some part time jobs now that nationals are over and will be banking money so that I can try a few ATA shoots this year. I do have to ask though: I know this may sound weird but, you called me by my first name ..I never said my name here ???? How do you get ATA scores for people with nothing more than an email address to go on? I don't mean to sound ignorant but other that just shooting my local club and the handful of SCTP fun shoots every year I have never really known about all the other disciplines. I did not even know about the Grand until just a few weeks ago :) My grandparents got me into SCTP to try and I liked it and excelled in it. I had not even heard of SCTP until a few years ago.

5. jhunts

jhunts Active Member

Well Trap200. It is easy to look up scores from the nationals. You were the only one with a 197 on your squad.

Congrats

6. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Hard to fool us old dogs...... or Dads!

But since you shot so good, I'll let you in on the secret.

Shhhhhh..... There as only one 197 on the winning team. :)

All registered targets are listed on the ATA website in the Shooter Information Center. It's all part of the database for classifying you at registered shoots.

Handicap is where real challenges come in and doubles are tons of fun. When you can go out and run 285 or better in a shoot (100 singles, 100 handicap, 50 pair doubles) you really have it going.

SCTP is a great program and I hope it continues for many years. ATA and SCTP need to work together not as two separate organizations to make the program strong. Teamwork and sportsmanship are key to SCTP and your squad showed it.

Is your team all from the same school or is your a 4H or county program?

SW

7. Trap200

Trap200 TS Member

Oh yea that score thing makes sense...lol still a little jet lagged I guess ( Ha Ha) I have an ATA card I will have to visit the site and check that out.
    We are a county program. We have great coaches,and we never give up :)
    So handicap is that where you shoot from different yard lines? I have shot from the 27 yard line just to play around and see if I could do it. I shoot a fixed full and was curious so my dad had me try it. I would have to go look at the paper but I think my score was only a 23. Doubles I have shot like twice I think at a benefit shoot. It was not terrible but not great either so I will have to practice them both and see what happens.
    We are a county program. And I thought SCTP and ATA went hand in hand? I am an ATA member via SCTP..I have never shot an ATA shoot. Except the state and national shoot being registered targets I guess??

8. Ljutic 4 Ice

Ljutic 4 Ice TS Member

Great Job Andrew, you also have to remember you used your name in other threads you started, such as, "Trying To Get to Nationals for the first time!!!!" All of your old posts can be seen with a search. Not to mention, some of us old fart can still remember what we read after a month or so ago. Thanks DAI

9. dgfhsu13

dgfhsu13 TS Member

Have you thought about going to shoot for a college?

10. Trap200

Trap200 TS Member

I am just now starting to hear about college shooting programs, When we start school in a few weeks I will be a junior and my parents have already made an appointment with the school counselor so that we can explore the options. I hear their are some great college shooting programs and I am going to be looking into them so I can maybe go for a scholarship or something.

11. dgfhsu13

dgfhsu13 TS Member

Well if College Shooting is something your interested you will eventually have to learn to shoot skeet and sporting clays which alot of guys on here would probably say thats a bad idea, now im not saying i would start doing it now because your trap scores will probably suffer from it for awhile. I waited to learn it the summer after i graduated hs.But yes there are alot of good programs out there if you would like some more info on them send me a pm.

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Most impressive part of his post:

"I have some part time jobs now that nationals are over and will be banking money so that I can try a few ATA shoots this year."

13. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Andrew,

I would take everything on this site with a grain of salt, but contact a few college coaches and see which programs might help you achieve your goals.

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/coldir.asp

I know a young man from Morristown who reached the same milestone your reflecting upon now.

In 2008 he was 398/400 at the Tennessee State shoot and 198/200 at the SCTP Nationals with over a 98% average in singles for the year.

He thought first of college, girls, career, girls, and then shooting... List your priorities and what you want to be when you grow up.

Good Luck and God Bless!
    TNCoach

14. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

Trap 200:

A good contact for college info would be zsnow@nssf.org who heads up the college shooting for the National Shooting SPorts Foundation. He can get you a good list of schools that have bonafide programs and many schools offer shooting as a club as well. There are probably a lot of folks on TS.com that can also direct you to the shooting schools like Lindenwood.

Bob Gibson

15. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Andrew,

I apologize for my manners but Congratulations!

Check out the NRA link I posted for information about collegiate teams. I would first start out by emailing their coaches and requesting more information.

Sincerely,
    TNCoach

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.