1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

National Personal identification Number??

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by omgb, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I recently filled out a federal firearms form and noticed a new block I hadn't seen before. Right next to the social security info block was this National Personal Identification Number block. What in the sam hill is this all about and when did it start showing up on the form?

2. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

In this world of numerical identification it wouldn't surprise me. When they insist I have it tatooed on my arm, it'll be time to revolt!

3. locdoc

locdoc Member

You are refering to question #9 on the most recent Form 4473

"Instructions for question 9 ; Unique Personal ID Number (UPIN): For purchasers approved to have information maintained about them in the FBI NICS Voluntary Appeal File, NICS will provide them with a Unique Personal Identification Number, which the buyer should record in question 9. The licensee may be asked to provide the UPIN to NICS or to the state."

I suppose this number should lessen the chance of a buyer being 'delayed' or 'refused' on a gun purchase.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

4. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts began to issue UPIN's to gun owners a few years ago, ostensibly to prevent mis-use of LTC's, like a debit card. It's still a PITA. I put the number on the back of my LTC because it's one less number I need to remember. A cop friend told me that's not a good idea, but I replied that if anyone gets caught with my LTC using my UPIN, I won't care because I'll be dead!

LA in MA

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

LA- This is a bit off topic, but please explain to me what happened. Massachusetts was the "hot bed" that fired up the other states to revolt against the Crown. Just prior the Revolution, the majority of the States and the people wanted reform but not Independence. Massachusetts changed that. John Hancock gave much of his fortune to sponsor the Revolution. What has happened?

Pat Ireland

6. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Mr. Ireland.....that question is easy.......The Kennedys!....Uncle Sam, Pa.

7. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Pat,

My opinions only, but Massachusetts in the 1770's was not the 'hotbed' as much as the port city of Boston, which at the time was influenced very much by the often volatile relationship of its major ship owners, importers and exporters with Britain's Parliament. It's been long stated that of the entire colonial population, most of whom were either British nationals or had British roots, one-third (rebels) wanted independence, one-third (Tories) were loyal to the Crown, and the remaining third didn't care or were on the fence. The fire-brands were able to convince enough of the ambivalent third of the benefits of independence to allow the Revolution to ignite and stay hot until the Crown cried uncle.

Massachusetts is in much the same situation now. About one-third of all registered voters are Democrats, about 20% are Republicans, and the remaining fifty percent call themselves 'independent' (officially, they are termed 'unenrolled voters'). So in this respect at least, nothing has changed.

Uncle Sam was abstractly correct when he blamed 'the Kennedys'. Democrats have always been better political organizers in liberal sections of Massachusetts (read: better in their corruptness), and the love affair that the liberals here had for JFK and his kin was a sacred cow until Teddy died. Hence the election of Scott Brown, who won by garnering much of the 'independent' voters.

The other major factor (again, my opinion) is the proximity and profundity of the 'educated class' here in Massachusetts. These 'Harvard' types (and their ilk) typically are over-educated and have too much money and too much time on their hands, and have a deep desire to tell other people how to live their lives. This is a bigger problem in my mind than the corrupt politics.

LA in MA

8. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Mass is center of "education" as LA mentioned, just listing the colleges is impressive, Harvard, BU, BC, but it brings students from all over the world, they typically settle in the area over time, bringing their illegal relatives.... the handouts have increased for illegals (Auntie Zetunie for one) to the point that there is NO chance of electing a Republican, they will always vote for the Demunist that will promise them everything, with the cost borne by the few that actually work! I am happy to add that after 55 years I have finally escaped the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts! for Tax Free NH.....what a breath of fresh air a mere 20 miles north, but light years of difference. I grew up in Lexington, the "Birthplace of Liberty" and it is embarrassing to see the town now, Democrat votes dominate local elections and the town , although QUITE affluent continues to elect the very people that fleece its electors, I guess they have more money than brains!!

LA, move to NH, you will NEVER regret it!

9. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

One thing a lot of people forget or don't know is that there are as many if not more WEALTHY democrats who pander to the left than there are republicans who pander to the right. A lot of those s.o.b.'s have their paws in businesses that benefit from left wing policies. Do a little research on cap and trade legislation and related businesses and you'll see what I mean.

10. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The personal PIN number is a good idea if your name is the same as that of a convicted felon. (If you google for your name you may be surprised how many others there are with your name nationally.) The PIN number helps prevent flagging your NICS check for closer scrutiny, preventing delays of a half hour or worse up to the maximum time limit (and some dealers will not transfer if they don't hear back, even though lawfully they can do so upon expiration of the time limit).

If you don't get constantly flagged or delayed, there's no need to use a PIN. But if you do, this can help you streamline the process.

12. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I'm just thinking that sooner or later we'll need tht number or one like it to buy, sell or get paid. By then it just may carry a 666 prefix...Just saying.

R Talley

13. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Well?

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I thought our SS number already did that?

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

SS numbers are way too easily acquired by others for their use. Illegals have the system bound up with fake info to the point where it is almost useless for ID purposes.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.