1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

National Farm Machinery Show

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Diesel Smoke, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

I was just wondering if anyone was going to make the trip to Lousiville for the farm show, if your in the area and have never been, you should check it out, $6 dollars for parking, all exhibits are indoors, and if you are into truck and tractor pulling the Championship Tractor Pull is also going on. Just hopin to see some fellow shooters down there.

Smokey

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I went once, well worth it and would go again if I lived closer

3. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Diesel,I and my father use to pull tractors there years ago.

We had the Smokers.I think a lot of the boys now are alcohol.

A very good show there.

Bocephas

4. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

My dad pulled a Light Superstock alcohol 560 IH for a few years, we were building a super farm ford but we started having problems and had to sell the stuff, after that we both drove a 2wd Superstock truck at local fairs and the bug has never left me to pull again, so I'm now in the process of building a super street Diesel 4x4 truck.

Smokey

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I was raised by my grandad and he was john Deere green ( even his blood was green) He pulled with a "G", and a 70 deisel and an "A" I still love to go to pulls

6. fvtrkyhntr

fvtrkyhntr Member

Coming down from ontario by bus for a couple days. Any good gun shops in
    Louisville. Need to pick up some rcbs reloading stuff.
    thanks ken chambers

7. Bocephas

Diesel,we pulled a 1256 IH,and a 1206 IH.

Still will never forget when you hook up,you could just feel it in your seat.

I am sure you know what I mean.

We did have lot's of trouble with Air-Research Blowers.

Remember the hot tractor named Makin Bacon?

I think the owner was from Indiana.

Bocephas

8. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Look up Larry Roberts and 'Double Stuff' on youtube. It runs two triple compound turbo'd IH DT466s on alcohol. I think each engine produces in excess of 4800 hp. Pretty impressive to watch.

9. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

The motors on Double stuff were built by a gentleman named Brent Long I believe. The shop I used to help out in built pulling tractors, and if you were serious on goin big time in an IH he was the man to call.

And yes Bo, I do believe I remember that tractor, I'm hopin to see Pro-pain down there again this year, ever seen him run?

Smokey

10. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Every June I attend the Dairyland Super National Truck And Tractor Pull In Tomah Wisconsin. Green rules But the mini tractors and unlimited with a full rack of blown alcohol engines "5" are mind blowing. This event also promotes a lot of fair food and beer drinking. A walk through the pit area taking pictures and talking with the drivers and owners is also very entertaining. This is one event I never miss. June 26 27 28. Go to there wed site and look at the pictures.

11. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

A couple of guys down at the end of the road I live on ran a blown Hemi back in the early '80s. It was called 'Bad Habit.' It was before I really new them but I remember it sitting outside occasionally. They are in the process of putting together a heavy diesel. It is a father and son operation. I'm looking forward to seeing them pull this year.

12. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Bocephas,

The driver/owner of the "Makin' Bacon" was Bruce Hutcherson.

My dad and I use to go to the tractor pulls all the time when I was a young man. The modifieds were ok, but the real pullers belonged to the 9,000 and 12,000 lb SS class. I saw many a night when Danny Dean "The Rooster" and a crazy dairy farmer from Lebanon, In who drove a tractor called the "Moo Juice Special" had some dandy pull-offs. Ed Carmichael had a nice one called the "Ring Around Seed Special". I saw him pull down at Plainville, during the fish fry, and he must have been doing 30mph when he pulled out the end. He shut the tractor down so fast that the weight box on "Papa Bear" topped out so hard the tires left the ground. I thought for sure that he was a gonner.

Back in those days, the tractors that pulled the heavier classes were all 966/1066 Internationals and some D19/21 AC's. Occassionally there would be some off brands show up, but they just donated. I do remember on one occassion when a fellow by the name of Kicksmiller showed up with a couple of beautiful Case 1070's that were painted black with flame jobs.

The first time I saw Tim Engler pull, he had 2 392 supercharged hemi's. This was the original "Mission Impossible" tractor. The heavier the weight class got the better he pulled. I believe he won 3 classes that day.

There were some other tractors I remember from then. The Buckeye Special, The Weekender, Loud Mouth Lime, Ole Sparky, etc. Man does this bring back some fond memories.

All Good,

ec90t

13. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I would go if they moved it to Ohio.....

14. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Come to think of it, they use to hold a pull about this time every year at the Indiana State Fair grounds. I believe it was called the "Indy Super Pull". Man did that building fill up with smoke. The smoke tubes didn't work very well on the SS tractors.

All Good,

ec90t

15. Bocephas

ec90t,we pulled a D21 AC for a while.We did pull in 12,000 LB. class.

Remember taking a draw knife and cutting the lugs down on the tires.

Bocephas

16. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Bo,

How many turbo's, 3 or 4? The first 4 turbo set-ups were being done on the AC's.

All Good,

ec90t

17. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

Wow, gotta few more pullers here than I expected, and like bo was sayin, it's hard to describe the feeling of hooking to that sled and yankin it down the track, I will have to say though, my favorite class to watch is the Pro stock tracotrs, one turbo charger, and a BUNCH of fuel, after that It would have to be the old 5,500 pound light supers, then the unlimited supers. They all give me ideas for the pullin truck.

Btw anyone remember seein a 560 IH named Recycled Binder, it ran around Iowa before my dad bought it

Smokey

18. onlym12's

onlym12's TS Member

Definetly not much speed involved, but I love to pull the 630 JD at our town fair every year. Nothing like the sound of those old two cylinder's popping away under a slight load. It's amazing what those old tractor's are capable of.

Thank's Mike

[​IMG]

19. Bocephas

ec90t,we just ran one Turbo at that time.The injector pump was opened to the hilt.We also had Cat TD14 injectors put in place of stock.I could be wrong on injector number,I seem to recall TD14.This has been many years ago.
    Very few safe guards then,not like today.We were pulling at Lousiville the year a puller came out with a hot John Deer 40-10.Don't know what happened,but the tractor came up and over backwards landing on top of him.By the time dad and I got to the tractor there were already enough guys to somehow move it and get him out.He died on the way to hospital.I think after this was when the tough safty rules came out.Anyone remember a puller from Iowa by the name of John Klug?-<spelling??I think he won World Champ.in 1965 or 1966.

20. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

just got the internet back on over here, just wonderin if anyone on here went to the show and what they thought of it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

danny dean rooster

makin bacon pulling truck

makin bacon tractor