1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

national anthem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chipdaddy, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chipdaddy

chipdaddy Member

Is it just me or what? Only older people pay any attention to National Anthems. No respect from most younger folks these days. Use to be that everyone stopped and showed respect but now people just just keep talking or walking around, no one wants to remove their hat. What the heck...........

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Could be just you. We play the anthem over the PA system before every registered shoot and everyone stops what they're doing, removes their hat and salutes the flag.

Eric

3. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Depends where you are at. I have been at the Grand and seen a pasive attitude by some about it. Mind you it IS very rare in places like that,but, my point is it shouldn't happen at all EVER! Don't be suprised that "some" young people don't have respect for the flag. They have not been taught to and few have suffered any cost for it. Those for whom it has COST something(including the young) see it a lot differently! I think a majority of kids probably do respect it,but, some don't. The ones that don't, have no respect for ANYTHING or ANYBODY period!

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

After the National anthem played at our state shoot once, I saw George Weikum walk across the room, remove the hat of a young man, hand it to him then proceeded to give him a history lesson. No one objected.

5. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

At our State Shoot about 20 years ago, they were playing the National Anthem and I was standing next to a WWII Vet in a wheel chair. 3 or 4 trap kids were screwing around near us. I went over to them and told them; remove your hats, stand at attention facing the flag or you are going to get the shit kicked out of all of you. They all obeyed. Schools don't teach them respect like the "old days". Larry Evans

6. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Larry,,,,,,Neither do the "parents"......

7. Tracy Boy

Tracy Boy TS Member

bigdogtx, you are 100% right, it's really not a kids problem today, it's a bad parents problem.

Don

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Second for bigdog's post. It is up to the parents to provide this guidance and more than that, young people do want to know that their country is something they should be proud of and respect the symbolism. Lead by example, let them know the flag isn't just a piece of cloth and the anthem isn't just a prelude to the game.

The good news is that there are still many people (young and old) that do know what the flag and the anthem represent. They are the vast majority around here.

9. 1100tt

1100tt Active Member

Well with Obama giving the crotch salute What can you expect??

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Here in Chicago we worry about kids selling drugs, armed robbery, and killing.
    Taking their hats off for the National Athem - not so much.

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Oldgahchamp, sorry to say but its not the schools duty to teach respect. Its the parents who should be.

As for the hat, I see adults who DON'T remove their hats. Yes I to see the kids who keep playing but others closer to them set them straight before I can get to them. Its sad to see such things.

12. Auctioneer

Here is a video for those who might have seen it. Its a Red Skelton skit but a very respectful skit to the Anthem. Worth seeing.

13. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

You beat me to it Auctioneer, I've got in in my favorites.

Its not only the kids. I go to our local dirt track every Saturday Night and right after the drivers meeting they play the National Anthem. Half the pit crews were either talking or working on their cars. I wrote a letter to the editor to the local paper and also complained to the track announcer. That took care of most of it but there still are some who just don't get it.

14. 9manfan

9manfan Well-Known Member

I too get annoyed when someone doesn't take their hat off or pay attention during the National Anthem, it seems I'm watching more of it all the time.

My Grandpa served during WWII during the battle of the Buldge and he was very proud of putting his flag out and making sure we all stood up and took our hat's off during parades and such when the honor guard came by, some people just don't understand what the anthem is even about, which is soo sad.....

15. 9manfan

9manfan Well-Known Member

I too get annoyed when someone doesn't take their hat off or pay attention during the National Anthem, it seems I'm watching more of it all the time.

My Grandpa served during WWII during the battle of the Buldge and he was very proud of putting his flag out and making sure we all stood up and took our hat's off during parades and such when the honor guard came by, some people just don't understand what the anthem is even about, which is soo sad.....

16. Auctioneer

I rememeber at story about a Native Indian parade. Some indian kids were doing what kids do during a parade goofing off. Then one kid stopped goofing off and stood up and paid attention. The other kid asked what are you doing? He told the kid to stand up and pay respect to those men who were passing with the American Flag. He did. After they passed he said those were the indians who were the code talkers of WWII. Strainge how the native indians KIDS payed respect to honor their heros then we do our heros and flag.

17. tincanman

tincanman Member

A hitch in the Army might help these youngsters. I remember drill sergeants standing right inside the door of a building one time. You'd better have that cap off when your foot reached the door or he/she would rip it off and smack us in the chest with it. It got your attention real quick.

Ultimately the parent's responsibility though-respect for the flag and etiquette. Otherwise, out of site and out of mind.

18. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

You know Frank....This subject hasn't got a friggin thing to do with the elections or what party their parents belong to. Those were grown men in my post and some of them were old enough to have been in the generation that still showed respect when we were kids.

19. SBray

SBray Active Member

chipdaddy,

It has been going on for a long time now.

Back in 1958, when I was a kid at the base movies in Germany, with my two brothers and father, an air force serviceman, were about to watch movie and had stood while they played the National Anthem. There were some young servicemen a few rows behind us, cutting up and not showing their respect. My father turned around and said something in anger. I think the guys were reminded that they were on a military base in a movie house full of servicemen and their families. They straighten out but, looking back on the incident, I figured they had probably been drinking at the enlisted club.

So, as you can see, it is not something that just came about in a few years or so.

Steve

20. ziegmund

ziegmund Active Member

During the anthem my eyes are on the flag and my memories of Army Posts and Fire bases are in my mind. Don't have the time nor the patience to worry about someone else

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.