1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

National Anthem - Presentation not Preformance

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jim Porter, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

When will the entertainers ever get it right? Christina Agulerra is a fantastic talent and definitely does not need any runs and rills to enhance her singing ability. Just stand there and do it as written! I once heard a Irish tenor sing it as written and as usual made the hair stand up on my arms. He was asked why he chose not to embelish and he gave the best answer I have ever heard, he said the National Anthem is to be PRESENTED not PREFORMED. Spot on! As badly as I sing, I like to sing along and with the never ending renditions, I and those around me can't. If you have one ounce of patriotism or sense of history, you cannot face the flag, put your hand overyour heart and sing the anthem without a real feeling of love for this country...well, something is either wrong with you or me one.

PRESENTED not PREFORMED!!!!

2. leadingedge

leadingedge Active Member

Well said!!!

D

3. below 0

below 0 TS Member

Jim...There is absolutely nothing wrong with your thinking..When will they learn that, as Americans, we should be proud of this and sing the Anthem as it was intended insted of trying to out wail the last idiot who tried to sing it...Dale

4. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Mr. Porter, you nailed it.

Thank you.

Jon Reitz

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Very well spoken Jim.

6. toolguy

toolguy Member

I'll put my name on this list. Well said, Jim. Thanks.

Don Whiton

7. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Glad I,m not alone!

8. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

During the play-offs the Bears did it right. Don't know who he was but it was a job well done. At the super bowl when the alleged singer started the Anthem, I turned on the weather channel!!These so called singers that 'butcher' our Anthem turn my stomach!

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Maybe they'll bring in Steven Tyler to do his rendition like he did at Indy. ;-)

"O'er the land of the free,
    And...the...home...of...the...SuperBowl!"

10. Donm

Donm Active Member

Geneleroy. You are right. The gentleman that sang at the NFC Champ. game was one of the best I have heard. I believe he is either a hockey player or sings at the Chicago hockey team games. But he was great.

11. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Its not in the nature of a liberal to do or say things RIGHT!

I would rather see a no name or a military person sing it over all the known people who I have heard.

Oh ya, half time sucked too!!

12. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

Don't get me started on what they are trying to call a half time show. It was definetly half of something. Add me to that list of those that wish they would just sing our anthem the way it was written and ment to be. What an embarresment. Its no wonder other countries don't respect us, to many don't respect ourselves in the first place.

John MI.

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The answer is sadly more simple than that.

The reason for reinventing or stylizing the National Anthem is lack of talent.

The song requires more vocal range than other songs. The high notes in particular. By giving the song a different "interpretation", the singer can avoid the extremes and fake it.

So I see it as a case that the NFL et al are simply looking for a celebrity, not someone who can actually perform the song properly.

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Absolutely, well said Mr. Porter! Just wrote that on the other post, before reading this one.

15. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I will gladly add my name in support of this thread.

Jim Miller USAF ret. 26 yrs.

16. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

The most stirring rendition I ever heard was by the daughter of the junior senator from Mass. Ms. Brown raised goose bumps.

Buz

17. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

stokinpls , Tyler should have been slapped.

18. ChetH

ChetH Member

As long as we are being technical. The Star Spangled Banner is a hymn in that it is presented for the purpose of praise. Therefore, it is inappropriate to applaud at it conclusion.

chet

19. Seitz Shooter

Seitz Shooter Member

They were applauding because they were glad she was done butchering our National Anthem!

Adios, Dirk

20. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Everyone is right! If she knew the words and didnt have to read them from above it would have been Ok. LEE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.