1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nastiest "target" shell I've ever shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jerry944t, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Nastiest "target" shell I

I was at my local trap club and a guy was shooting some practice. I couldn't help but notice that his shells were very loud and the recoil seemed stout.

I went over and chatted, finding out that he had gotten a great deal on the shells he was shooting and had bought 50 flats. They were marked Kent Fiber Wad, 1 oz. I remarked that they were loud and seemed to kick. He agreed and wasn't feeling so great about his bargain at that point.

He asked me if I wanted to shoot a box. Having never turned down a free lunch and thinking how bad could a 1oz load be I agreed and started to shoot a round.

The first shot really got my attention. They kicked worse than Winchester Super Handicaps. Much worse. At the end of the round I had a sore cheek, my gun was hotter than shooting doubles and I had no interest in ever shooting them again, free or not. They did vaporize targets like nothing I've ever shot.

A closer look, because I was sure they were mis-marked, showed that they were indeed Kent Target Fiberwad Ioz loads. I then noticed that they were also marked 4 drams!!

So the question is, and it wasn't marked on the box, what would be the velocity? It felt like they were about 1500fps but that's only a guess. Anyone care to give me the velocity of a 4 dram 1 oz load?

No way would I shoot them again and I do feel sorry for the guy who has to shoot all those flats.

Jerry

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Nastiest

I would say that 1500 is a good guess.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Nastiest

from their website..

[ Detailed Description

Loaded with highly polished, hardened Diamond Shot(tm) for improved long range energy FITASC shooters require. However, this 1-oz., 1450fps load is a sporting clays gem as well, especially for tricky "rocket" loads.
    1450 fps
    1 oz. #7-1/2 Diamond Shot lead.
    12ga., 2-3/4"
    25rds per box, 10 boxes per case. ]

4. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Nastiest

There's no way that I would buy that many flats of anything that I had never tried.

5. Jerry944t

Nastiest

Thanks BigM-Perrazzi. That's pretty stout but not quite as bad as I guessed.

Now I need someone with math skills to figure the foot pounds of recoil compared to my normal Nitro 27 handicap load which is nominally 1225fps but with 1 1/8 oz of shot..

Bliz, the guy bought them for about $50 a flat. That's not much of a bargain unless you're into masochism. He bought them because they had a fiber wad instead of plastic and since he shoots on his farm he didn't want to clean up plastic wads.

6. paul e. stark

paul e. stark TS Member

Nastiest

They were not nasty in the kick department but when jensons in tucson went bankrupt i bought a flat of S & B paper "cardboard" hulls for 25 dollars.The first shot I saw the wad fly and this big black thing flying right behind it when I opened the gun the only thing that ejected was metal head of the shell! every damn one did the same thing.

7. Jerry944t

Nastiest

Thanks EE. Small wonder that I didn't enjoy shooting them. I pity the fool that bought all those flats.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Nastiest

Well, the most smelley shell are those stinky Federial Walmart cheapies. Man, do they stink.

9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Nastiest

Those old factory Active shells , 2 3/4 -1 5/8 shells would knock the Baking powder out of a biscuit ! Only thing worse is a spanish 3 1/2 10ga double. Jeff

10. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Nastiest

If anyone ever offers you an "Extreme" take a pass. I don't know who makes it but it is a white hull and if I remember correctly market 70mm. That is all I know but it kicked the S*** out of me and I was shooting a Ljutic that weighed about 10.5 LBS.

Brownk80

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Nastiest

Back in the 80's Browning marketed target loads....MURDEROUS recoil!!!....I still have a few as reminder.....

12. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Nastiest

As far as target shells go, there are two that really come to my mind. The first was made somewhere around the early 80's and was made by Perazzi, black hull, and boy did they loosen your fillings. The second was the first issue of the plastic Federal Gold Medal shell, they hurt.

Tom Strunk

13. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Nastiest

About 25 or 30 years ago, I bought a case of "Olympic" trap loads.(Yes, they were cheap). They were made in Poland and would kick the snot out of you. I still have some of them stored around the house somewhere. Larry Evans

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Nastiest

Jerry: If you can't find a chronograph close by, send me one and I'll chrono it for you.

I bought from Gene Sears in OK, a ton of PERAZZI shells several years ago. A "good deal" they were, but I think my dentist had the last laugh... on me.

I gave them to guys to use when we were shooting games. God, these were kicking SOB's, for sure.

Whiz

15. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Nastiest

Kemen 3 dram........the burnt powder smells like burning horse$hit. They break the targets if you can stand the smell.......

16. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Nastiest

Rio "Green" shell. I think its called Top Trap 50. Hurt so bad! Even Werner hated them and that says something.

Wolf Target shell has to be the flat out worst quality and nasty smelling shell I have ever shot. 4-5 shells had the wads sideways and so buldged I couldn;t get them in my gun. Those that did fit stunk like shit!

My top two.

17. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Nastiest

A flat of gold medals I bought about ten years ago was the worst kicking 3-1 1/8 trap shell I've ever bought. The scariest were the eclipse all plastics from twenty years ago. We bought the eclipse wads and about five out of every box would split from the primer pocket right up through the rim. You'd see gas come out of the top of a break open gun or out of the ejection port of a pump. I took all the empties I had along with the leftover wads and burned them.

18. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Nastiest

I had forgotten about those GD Eclipse shells. About 1980 or 81, I bought a case of 500 3-8 Eclipse to shoot in a 500 marathon. The 48th shell split the forearm of my Perazzi comp 1 into several pieces. I used electrical tape and "rebuilt" the forearm right on the spot and continued the marathon with fed. papers. I still have 7 or 8 boxes of them somewhere. You could see fire come out of well- worn pumps and autos. I don'think anyone ever died using them, but I don't know why. Larry

19. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Nastiest

RWS (German) used to have a 3 - 1 1/8 - 7 1/2 that recoil wise was hear and shoulders over a Federal GM or a Winchester AA of the same load. They were a distinctive bright blue in color.

That said, they would lift a squirrel off of a branch at the top of a tall tree with ease.

Ed

20. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Nastiest

""""If anyone ever offers you an "Extreme" take a pass. I don't know who makes it but it is a white hull""""

They are Gamebores, and if 1 1/8, they are 1350 fps and yes they kick.

Worst I've shot was a guy handed me a Baschierri & Pellagri sporting shell, then said "just take the box and try them". These were 1 1/8 at 1400, I found out later. That was in about 1995 and I have 23 shells left in the box. Kicked like a mule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.