1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NASCAR NEWS!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ljutic73, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

A "Toyota" won the Atlanta race today.....I think the end is in sight now...Nissan next and Hyundai and Kia are gonna want to play too...and they'll try and make you think that what they race has something to do with what's in the showroom...yeh, right.....vanilla racing at it's best!!...we need the likes of Cale and King Richard and David Pearson and Curtis Turner back....now THAT would be fun to watch...not this drivel...

I feel much better now....

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

AMEN!

ec90t

3. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

I wondered how long it would be before someone rambled on this subject. Whats wrong with the Toyota winning? Were you satisfied with the model T ? Times change. At least it is made in USA rather than Mexico where the Ford is made. In fact , I think if you check , the toyota was the only American made car in the race today. Make sure you check the facts before you jump down my throat on this one. I'm not a Toyota fan, I'm a GM guy but today I don't have much to brag about.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Anyone dumb enough to think the "Ford" that's racing has ANY Ford parts on it has to leave the catnip alone and sober up. ditto for the other brands.

These are the same as the "Legend" cars they race with the cutesy fiberglass shells on a mini sprint.

WWF is not wrestling, Nascar is not racing. End of subject.

HM

5. ljutic73

2001...I'm a GM guy too, lifetime and forever...I just think Toyota being in NASCAR is just the next step in homogenizing the "sport" until it will just be a motorized version of the WWE. The France's and those that followed them have taken away the heart and soul of the "sport". I am speaking from the perspective of someone who has followed it since 1959 when I started reading written accounts of the races in Motor Trend and thrilled to the news of the lap by lap drama and the honest to God "characters" that populated drivers row back then. The cars looked like what they purported to be and the drivers and crews/owners (like Junior Johnson and the late Smokey Yunick) were always up to something newsworthy or at last fed the rumor mill....Just my take on what has happened over the last 50 years I've been a fan...

Ron Burr

Canuck Red Neck

6. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Next thing you know there will be formula 1 drivers and women driving the cars too...wait that has already happened! IMHO if you want to watch a REAL race go to a sprint car race....1/8 mile oval and speeds at 120 plus...now that is racin. None of this car of tomorrow BS. BTW...I am very disappointed in the Budweiser car today....what the crap.

Forrest

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Forrest,

They did try that with the Silver Crown cars and it failed miserably! USAC has went back to the old style cars.

ec90t

8. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

hey ljutic73...remember when smokey was running the only 66 or 67 chevelle. borrowed nascars template then went home built his chevelle narrower shorter & smaller then built a template to fit the car then gave that template back to nascar.. that was the real nascar not this stuff they call racin now.. i prefer sprint cars & top fuelers get it right or put it on the trailer.. dwain

9. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

the scary thing is i drive a toyota and root for chevies.don't like tony s or too many other toyo drivers. dwain dwain dwain. i like top fuel but never got into sprint cars.jackmitch

10. ljutic73

dbc....I remember Smokey's Chevelle very well. If my memory serves me correctly, NASCAR didn't have templates back then but used manufacturer supplied measurments to tech the cars...Smokey built the Chevelle to 7/8th scale....the thing was very fast...and then the jig, literally, was up. MASCAR intruduced templates and they became known as the "Smokey" rule....he was a cagey old devil...I read quote where he said "we don't break the rules, we just bend the hell out of 'em" or words to that effect.

11. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

AMEN !
    Just think what was said when they allowed women to vote.Things have been going downhill ever since. I just know it is their fault.

12. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

well ljutic you are probably right.. old smokey & jr. johnson could do a lot in them old run down buildings & hell they had never even heard of computers or had 100,000 engineers on the race team & probably very little formal education. dwain

13. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Don't worry boys, the "BOW TIE" has been shut out this year. Time for a rule change.....................Roger

14. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Stewart trashed Goodyear tires on ESPN this morning in an interview and said that Hoosier or Firestone would make a better tire and Goodyear should "be embarrassed" to bring such a piece of crap to this track.

Wonder how that will fly in NASCAR.
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TmJf8ItiCSI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TmJf8ItiCSI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Jerbear

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Ho Hum! NASCAR, boring, Ho Hum, boring, Ho Hum. Yawn, yawn. Wake me when it's over.

16. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

Question: Are any front engine, rear wheel drive, V-8 automobiles available to the American public as 2008 Models? If so, which ones?

I propose that to make NASCAR style racing "authentic", 3/4 ton trucks should be entered. Rear wheel drive only, crew cab. Mandatory number of hay bales in the bed. Limit is 7.0 liters of gasoline or diesel engine up front. "Gasoline" engines are allowed to run on any fuel, diesel engines, can run any turbo. Anything else goes, including cylinder heads and what is below the heads. Minimum weight of 6000lbs.

Now I think the hay bales in the back would cause/make interesting racing. Hay must be of a gold color, that is dry. And, as an added twist, a person picked at random from Wal-Mart must ride shotgun!!!

Yeah, that will be real!!!

17. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

You're crazy if you think any other automobile company is going to invest in NASCAR. Declining TV ratings, empty seats in the stands, fewer and fewer available sponsor dollars, races that are too long for the American attention span.... NASCAR's boom days are over, and it is on the decline. Nissan, Hyundai and Kia aren't going to be chomping at the bit to get into the sport.

As for Toyota being in the sport, I think it's great that they've been willing to make the investement. NASCAR needs someone in position to fill in for one of Big Three when they can no longer afford to race.

~Michael

18. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

And everybody forgot to mention many other past greats, Cotton Owens, Bill Stroppe, Bud Moore, Paul Goldsmith the ex motorcycle racer and then stock car driver. What about the old Hudson's? And convertable stock cars. Yup, I think hot rodded pickups are the answer with hale bales in the back to cause spinouts, overheated engines (due to radiator clogs), and therefore, lots of legitimate caution periods.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

At least the open wheel guys don't pretend to drive Detroit iron.

CRA wingless sprints, midgets, bikes on the mile - Yes, sports fans, real racing still does exist.

I was at an Outlaw show 2 years ago and Kinser didn't like his time trial. So they dragged another $35K engine out of the multi million dollar transporter and had it changed before the heat race.

Normal people can't compete with that. But even Outlaws is a much better show
    than Nascar.

HM

20. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

V8 rear wheel drive cars, Ford Mustang, Chevy Camaro, Dodge Charger, all new and can kick ass.

Jerbear

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.