1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nascar + Goodyear = dissappointment

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by birdtracker, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

I watched what was suppose to be Americas Race go down the crapper. What a complete dissappointment from the tires,competion caution on lap 27,to the shortened race due to the rain that didn't last more than 1/2 hour.And don't forget the brain dead announcers in the booth. Can someone please tell me what keeps me coming back? Well since I have had my rant, I can go to bed now!!! Birdtracker

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

WWF on wheels.

HM

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I usually watch it with the sound off and a backup channel on my recall button. I can hardly wait until they have BOTH of the Waltrips in same booth. Geeze.

4. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Speaking of Waltrip can anyone remember when he won a race? Just to throw some fuel on the fire now. Dale JR.=can't race so he wrecks them!!! Bill

5. RLC323

RLC323 Member

It seems every change NASCAR has made in the past few years have been horrible mistakes. The cookie cutter cars, the cookie cutter tracks, etc. Every move Brian France and his genius crew of washed-up crewchiefs make is wrong. The 500 was lousy for all the reasons mentioned before in the threads above, worst of all next weeks race will be a snore fest as well. It will be interesting to see if any other races sell out this year. I would doubt it considering the poor economy and the poor show NASCAR now puts on.

Me, I have found more to like in the NHRA races since we have a fellow shooter in the Funny Car ranks, namely Robert Hight in the AAA John Force entry. I can guarantee that in next weeks NHRA event, nobody will get a 8 second lead early in the race.

6. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Having been a Nascar Fan for a long time plus the fact I have been to many many races at different venues. There is nothing like 43 cars at speed comming off turn 4 at Atlanta, all full song in the gas of 700 to 800 HP naturaly asperated, push rod engines, it is unbelieveable.

I find it more a people and teams coping with adversity more than anything else. The enjoyment comes from that select few that can figure it out and put themselves in position to win against all odds.

Point in fact is Mat Kenseth wins Daytona 500 fair and square because he put himself in the position to win in a blevy of obsticles.

The tire problem at Daytona was from too much camber and only a few teams experianced it, the rest did fine.

As far as Jr. and Vickers, you mess with the bull you get the horn. How soon Vickers forgets his BS win at Dega 2 years ago when he took out Jr. and Johnson. No Jr. did not do it on purpose, look at the replay.

Truth is you either like Nascar or you don't, I for one like it. I don't alway agree with the Nascar changes, but, it's their deal.

7. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Jimmy Spencer, who I seldom agree with, summed it up correctly on Victory Lane. Nascar has to get consistent. They penalized a guy 5 laps the day before for the same thing & because of the name #88 gets nothing.

8. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Saturday night on tv was a replay of I believe the '69 race. It was the one where Yarborough and Allison got tangled up on the last lap an Petty won. You could tell the model of cars by looking at them. That was racing. What they have now is something else. Those cars were lapping at 193...that's faster than the restrictor plate cars now. 40 years of progress?

9. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Just talked to a brother in law who is a pilot for one of the teams. Said track was half empty and no one there. He thinks NASACAR is in big trouble.

I thought the whining and crying by Kyle Petty by far the best thing to come of the weekend. One less last place loser living off a name.....

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I was out having a wonderful dinner with my family...caught the lowlights when we got home....glad I was doing something useful and enjoyable with my afternoon....

11. racer

racer TS Member

NHRA Drag Racing doesn't show that well on TV. I recommend seeing a race in person, you will not be disappointed. I've taken folks to races that didn't even have a real interest in cars etc and they were shocked. Dan
    (danehlersracing.com)

12. BMC

BMC Member

I always wonder why some people criticize Nascar of today and compare it to the past and complain some more, yet they still tune in to watch it. Its fine to not like something, but when you don't like it, why do you keep going back to the well? Never has made much sense to me.

The Bud ShootOut and the Twins on Thursday were good racing. I still feel the Trucks put on the best show on at Daytona and 'Dega.

A friend of mine runs a "camping world series" truck. He said that there are only 18 trucks slated to run the season. Hornaday told him just before Daytona that most likely the truck series will be shelved by mid-season.

13. Mojo

Mojo Member

Arrogant punk Jr. should have been penalized.... no excuse~

14. ec90t

ec90t Guest

RickN,

You are only one decade off. It was the '79 race when that happened.

The true state of NASCAR is the fact that they are advertising heavily for ticket sales at both races in Bristol! The last time I went for the night race, I ended up selling the tickets(for a nice profit)and came back home.

BMC,

I sure hope they don't cancel the truck series. It's the only one I find remotely interesting.

ec90t

15. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

391 Shooter: I have a camber question. Is it adjustable in the rear? I seen numerous rear tires explode. Birdtracker

16. BMC

BMC Member

Rear camber is built into the rear end housing. Flirting with too low of tire pressures can result in pre-mature wear and excess heat, particularly when trying to compensate for a set up that is too loose.

17. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

cbxchris, your brother in law fed you "pelosi". I was there all week. There were some but very few empty seats on the Super Stretch" Sunday. Did not see any empty seats on the front. If you wanted a great seat on the front all you had to do was negotiate with the hawkers outside the track.

RPM had 3 0f their 4 cars in the top 10.

Saturday tix that were $170 where I sat. A couple sat down that had paid $100 for 2 seats one row below us. Yes Saturday was down on attendence

As far as calling race too soon after the rain, yes, but just about the time it would have taken them to get the track dry, another shower moved through. In the end they were right.

This was my 26th year going to the "500".

Scott

18. RLC323

RLC323 Member

racer you are right about the NHRA show, it is way better in person. I went for the first time back in the 90's with some guys from work. It was a hellish hot day and we sat through the alcohol classes and it was fine, but really did not seem worth it as far as the misery of sitting in the sun. Then old Kenny Bernstein did his burn-out in that Bud car and when that monster went down the track you could FEEL it go by. I would not have left if the stands were on fire!

We went down to the pits (every ticket is a pit pass) while they were working on the nitro cars between rounds, you can stand right there when the fire them up to seat the clutch. Nitro fumes burn your eyes and nose, the noise is deafening. When they shut them off they make a big "whump" noise and the guys gathered around to watch let out a big cheer. I was hooked from that day on. In person, it is hard to beat NHRA for your entertainment dollar.

19. DK65

DK65 TS Member

Camber is built into the rear axle housing, but it is specified by the teams and it can be adjusted at the track. It's crude, but it can be done. All of the Cup teams will have different housings with different camber and toe specs available.

I deal with Cup cars day in and day out, and I would rather attend Saturday night dirt track races at a local track than a Cup event, hands down. I probably have a jaded view on the subject, however.

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Being 50 feet away from 25 guys on 2 wheels sticking it sideways at a buck thirty five beats it.

AM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.