1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nasal Nose Breathing Strips........

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by biff, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

After watching some of the Pro Football Players on TV I noticed many of them wearing the nasal strips on their noses. It must help them with their breathing and therefore helps them play better, so I was wondering if any trapshooters have tried this in order to improve their shooting?

I will admit, I have tried it to see if it would make me sleep better and it did. It is the drug free type and now I plan to try it the next time I shoot. If it works and helps my shooting I will be much easier to spot at the Dixie--ponytail and nasal strips! Biff

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

biff......I addressed this subject earlier! Yes, it helps when shooting and also to keep your shooting glasses in place!

3. C1

C1 Member

I have used the strips at night for the past 6 years and I can tell you they work very well. Especially on us guys who have heavy glasses and noses caved in by the weight. The only thing is I wish I could buy them cheaper than I can find them (about $13 for 38 at Sams Club).

Gary Riecke

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

They also wear jockstraps.

5. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

I don't believe that helps them breath any better.

6. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

JBrooks.......I always thought a jockstrap was designed to carry something! Most trapshooters probably don't need one!

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

With the copious volume of natural gaseous discharge that results from the consumption of the very healthy food we trap shooters consume at events, I'm personally a bit skittish about improving my sniffing ability. Food (or gas) for thought.

Guy Babin

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

There are two types made by Breathe Right: The clear plastic ones which are easy to remove (which I use at night) and the harder-to-remove flesh colored fabric ones which the football players use.

It is not recommended to use them any more than you have to because they clog the pores. I would not use them at all if I didn't have to (deviated septum, the result of a high school wrestling injury from a guy I shouldn't have tried to wrestle in the first place-but I digress)
    Unless you run wind sprints between posts, I wouldn't think you'd need them for trapshooting.

9. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Hipshot,

It's where I carry my sandbag.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I doubt Breathe-Rite strips will work for those anti-gun trapshooters who have their heads up their asses.

11. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I use them at night and it helps my CPAP especially if I use the nose pillows. Omaha

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

They can be very useful in situations where the nasal passages are restricted or in activities where there is a need for very rapid gas exchange.

They would be of no value on the trap line. Breathing faster or inhalation of larger volumes of air does not increase the oxygen that gets into the body. This is regulated by the amount of free hemoglobin in the blood and the amount of fluid between the lungs and the blood. Breathing rate is primarily controlled by the CO2 (pH) in the blood. If you stand up and take 25 deep rapid breaths, the oxygen level in the blood will not change but the CO2 level will drop and so will you.

Pat Ireland

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If you have allergies, they may work at the club. I do, and I had never thought abot using them. I think I'll give them a shot.

14. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

gordy, from some of your previous posts I though you thought this was a whiners forum. FD

15. porky

porky TS Member

If you have a BJ's discount store near you, you can buy the knockoffs there for $7.79 for a box of 48 strips. BJ's is just like Sam's except that there is no restriction on who may join as there is with Sam's Club.

16. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Gordy, this is from the first post;

"I was wondering if any trapshooters have tried this".

I haven't tried them for shooting, but they do improve your breathing during sleep.

17. biff

biff Active Member

Gordy, I thought it was also a shooting forum. Alot of people know alot of things, some people know some things and a few people who know nothing about anything that is posted feel they have to post what they think is intelligent or funny or something stupid.....makes no difference to them, just that feel good feeling from putting up a post! But hey we are all buddies on here and have alot of fun sharing our thoughts with each other good or bad!

Now, I have that out of the way, I posted something I wanted to find out which might have an impact on shooting. I don't know as much as some of you and knew I'd get an answer. I don't know if I totally agree with Pat's response, as I had always heard you need to deep breathe before shooting so your brain and eyes would be oxygenated which would be beneficial to both. I knew you would pass out if you hyperventilated, but I didb't know it was because of the CO2 level.

So I thought that possibly the strips had something in them that would make you more alert and more oxygenated; therefore better able to see the targets and better able to concentrate. I definitely need both! Biff

PS: Gordy please police alot of other posts, cause some of them definitely are crossing a very thin line!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.