1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Naperville (IL) S.C. - coverage in the local paper

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by scott calhoun, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

A reporter/photographer for the local paper (Naperville Sun) came out to the club a couple of weeks ago during our annual turkey shoot to do a story about the club.

Here's the link if you want to see the pic, it's too long to past into the link above: http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/napervillesun/lifestyles/1909084,naperville-sportsman-club-park-na112909.article

Scott

Sportsman's club helps maintain park

November 29, 2009

By JANE DONAHUE For Sun-Times Media

Residents in search of competition and camaraderie hit the mark at the Naperville Sportsman's Club. The social organization, established in 1937, provides an arena for clay target shooting in the heart of downtown Naperville.

Art Dwight remembers shooting at Sportsman's Park at 735 S. West St. while growing up in Naperville. As an adult, he introduced his own children to the sport of trapshooting when they were at "the age of responsibility." His 27-year-old daughter, Diana, is a Sportsman's Club member. "People of any age and of any means can enjoy the sport," said Dwight, who was named a life member of the club. "Trapshooting is a great equalizer."

In cooperation with the Naperville Park District, the Sportsman's Club members operate the park and clubhouse. The 27-acre trapshooting range is open to the public, and includes three lighted ranges with fully automated trap machines.

Sportsman's Club President Jim Monk said besides participating in leagues and competitive events, members volunteer their time at the range to ensure its safe operation. The park offers trapshooting year-round, and uses nontoxic, biodegradable targets.

"Safety is our No. 1 priority," said Jim Monk, who has been president of the club since 2001. "We hold about five training classes through the Park District each year.

"Our certified shotgun instructors run the classes, and firearms are available (for class participants) to use."

Brad Wilson, director of recreation for Naperville Park District, said the joint venture is critical to trapshooting at Sportsman's Park.

"The Naperville Sportsman's Club partnership with the Park District and support of the facility is an integral part of the program's success," Wilson said. "Community partnerships are a key component of the Naperville Park District's ability to offer high-quality recreational experiences to the community."

Whether shooting a target or shooting the breeze, the Sportsman's Club offers recreation for people of all skill levels and experience.

Scott Calhoun had never held a gun before he discovered an enthusiasm for trapshooting while on vacation. Calhoun returned from the trip and paid a visit to Sportsman's Park. He has been a member of the club ever since.

"Everybody has a different angle for why they come out," said Calhoun, 47. "Some are here for the social reason, some are recreational shooters, and some are competing to win. I am competitive, and I like keeping score."

For Art Dwight, besides the competitive aspect, trapshooting offers an opportunity to share a hobby with family members.

"You're going to make me use a cliché," Dwight joked. "Take your daughter hunting, and you won't have to go hunting for your daughter."

2. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Nice job, hats off to the club.

3. shooter66

shooter66 TS Member

I stopped by there last week for the first time to check the place out....great guys and a nice faciltiy. I plan on shooting there quite a bit going forward. Not sure who I spoke with may have been Jay??? But he explained the club to me and how they operate, he even said that my son was welcome to shoot as well, which is important to me. I grew up sitting in a trap house loading single targets on a old Winchester machine all night! Not that he needs to do that but I learned a ton about shooting.

Was going to bring the gun this week and shoot...but its -15 outside at this moment! Maybe Sunday will be warmer.

Scott

4. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Scott -

The easiest way to tell if you were talking to Jay is to check for your wallet when you leave - if it's gone you were talking to Jay. :)

I've been working almost non-stop for the past two weeks so haven't been out at all during that time. Project is over next week so maybe next Thursday.

Scott

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Every gun club should have a media kit that should be available from the ATA, but it isn't so you'll have to make your own.
    d
    A pre-planned outline for the local papers. This can be a great tool to promote your club. Don't be afraid of negative media attention.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.