1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Naperville IL - Registered w/Steel 8/17

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by spitter, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The Naperville Sportsman's Club, Naperville Illinois will kick off its first registered shoot, using steel ammunition on August 17, 2008. The shoot will be a targets-only program offering singles and handicap.

While no competition for either the St. Charles or Downers Grove clubs, it is our hope a few more regulars will join the ATA and take their practice to the next level. For those who patron Naperville and shoot steel ammo, it will offer an outlet to develop averages and handicap yardage as a method to track progress.

As part of the longer term goal, I have the expectation that down the road, these same folks, now with known ability, will be encouraged to leverage their shooting and support St. Charles and Downers Grove in their registered events.

Thanks to Scott Calhoun and Mike Moore for agreeing to steer the course and admin the program.

Jay Spitz

2. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

Any details? Start time? Targets fees? Will food be available?

Bill Radwan

3. cle

cle Member

Going to take the plunge........, long time coming. Good for you guys, we need all the registered clubs and registered shooters we can get. Good Luck and Nice Going.

CLE

4. spitter

Bill:

To answer your questions generally, the program is 100 singles and time permitting, 100 handicap. We expect to use one trap for registering birds as the Park District requires access for the general public. Sportsman's Park opens at Noon, with registration expected to begin around 11am.

As a public range, there are no cooking facilities, although we do have a soda machine and bottled water. Located in downtown Naperville, one can easily find something nearby.

12 and 20 gauge steel ammo available onsite, FOID required, eyes and ears mandatory. Thanks for your interest.

Cle:

Thanks for kind words. We're not sure where this will be going, but given our limited capacity, its sure to be cozy!

Jay

5. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Bill -

Expanding on what Jay wrote . . . it's going to be targets only and we'll only shoot handicap if there is enough time and interest. Target fees will be paid to the Park District and will be whatever the appropriate rate is for your status (resident/non-resident of the park district). For non-residents it works out to $22 per 100. We considered setting a target fee that the club would collect that was higher than what the NPD was charging (and then paying the NPD out of that) but in an effort to keep costs down for the shooters, most of whom we expect will be new to ATA, we decided to just keep it at whatever the NPD rate is. We are in a somewhat rare situation in that the club does not set target fees or receive the revenue from the target sales.

Honestly we didn't expect any outside interest and were doing this to try to get some of our members to join the ATA and get a feel for it so they might be more comfortable venturing out to other clubs to shoot ATA. Given our limited capacity we'll never be in a situation where we could run a "full-sized" ATA shoot. That said, everyone is welcome.

Scott

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

See you there!

7. spitter

Our first ATA targets-only event using steel ammo, put to bed tonight. My sincere thanks to Scott Calhoun for his stewardship. I'm sure Scott will post a recap... 99 was high in singles.

Thanks for looking,

Jay Spitz

8. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

Jay,

Kudos to you, Scott and all those at Naperville Sportsman's Club that made this shoot possible. It looked like a good outing, and accomplished what you had in mind.

As I mentioned to Scott, I'm thinking that you made some sort of history. In all my years on these threads, I've never seen anyone come on here and talk about an ATA shoot at a club where Steel Shot was Mandated.

Next time I'll bring my gun.

Bill Radwan

9. spitter

Bill, it was nice to make your acquaintance and to have you join us on Sunday to cheer us on!

Thanks also to Cle Rector (congrats to St Charles for Club honors) for offering your assistance!

Jay

10. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Yes, thanks to Scott and Jay and Rich for a first ATA event at our club - Registered w/steel no less.

Nice to see support from other clubs as well.

11. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Here's the summary that Jay promised . . .

We had nine shooters and that included 3 new ATA members and two renewals. One of the renewals had never shot any ATA targets (despite being a member for a number of years) and the other had not registered any targets since 2005, so we really had 5 new shooters.

We only shot singles, couldn't get anyone interested in shooting any handicap targets, but now that people understand the program maybe they'll branch out into handicap.

The highlight of the day was from one of our new ATA shooters. He comes to the club a few times a month and shoots with his son-in-law and grandkids, not someone I'd consider to be a hard-core shooter or even a dead-eye - but he showed us. Missed the first target out of the house and then ran the remaining 99.

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.