1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Naperville (IL) Handicap Championship (with pics)

Discussion in 'Shoot Information, EVENTS, Clinics & Results' started by scott calhoun, Jun 7, 2013.

1. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Last night (Thursday, June 6) was the annual club Handicap Championship at the Naperville Sportsman's Club.

The event is a one-night, 100 target event. Shooters shoot 25 targets at 21, 23, 25, and 27 yards. Trophies are given for HOA and HOA Runner-up, as well as winner and runner-up at each yardage.

Most of you are probably aware that we are a steel-shot only club.

We had a pretty good night for shooting, temps on the cool side and just enough wind to keep the targets interesting. We also put on a feed for all the shooters and guests. For entrees we had grilled brats and lamb fries, with baked beans and potato salad for sides.

Sorry, no pictures of the food, just the trophy winners. The trophies this year were tremendous, as you can see from the pics, winners were awarded a replica pistol on a nice wood display that was laser etched with the club logo. Nice job by the event organizer Bob Ash on his work on the trophies, although I didn't think it was polite for the host to win his own event.

Scott Calhoun was HOA Runner-up, and Bob Ash was HOA winner.

[​IMG]

Yardage winners were Joe Kuhn (21), Jay Spitz (23), Bob Pfister (27), Don Hiltz (25). Any by the way, Don doesn't just look grumpy, he is grumpy!

[​IMG]

Yardage runner-up's were Wayne Willson (25), Jon Tevogt (27), Steve Pfister (21), Art Jablonski (23).

[​IMG]

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Nice Trophys ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

It's easy to shoot yardage with #6 steel, 1-1/8 oz at about 1200 fps.

4. scott calhoun

It's easy to shoot yardage, it's just hard to break a good score.

I really only had one objective last night, and that was to beat Joe "Handicap with steel is easy" Kuhn. Mission Accomplished! Joe got off to a flying start going 24-21 on the 21-23 yard line, then he folded like a cheap tent when he hit the 25 yard line. I've always contended that steel is reasonably effective from 23-yards and in, but past that it's really, really hard to break a good score.

Joe scored a few squads, and can vouch for the number of dusted targets that didn't break, and the number of targets that were broken in half or into three pieces. I probably had 10 solid breaks in the last 50 targets from 25-27. I wouldn't want to do this on a regular basis.

On the other hand, everyone who took the line was shooting at the same targets with the same shells, so it was still an equal competition. And everyone had a lot of fun.

Scott

5. joe kuhn

...I did break my last 13 in a row from 27...I'll be back.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I tip my hat to Bob and our Scott Calhoun for showing us how it was done... my 25/27 were each a disaster... Congrats to the Kuhner for a fine effort.

Great Trophies and Food... always a premier event for us at Naperville...

regards all,

Jay

7. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Cool trophies, great bunch of guys there.

Dave Eberhart

8. Swimdad13

Swimdad13 Member

I had the honor of shooting next to Joe Kuhn last night. When I grow up I want to be just like him...
    BTW, Bob Ash and his son Collin did a great job running a great shoot. The prizes and food were awesome. As usual Scott did a great job with the scoring. It is one of the most fun shoots I have the pleasure of shooting every year. Starting at 21 and ending up at 27 makes for a fun evening. Someday maybe I'll make the final table(last squad). Thanks to all that make it happen every year. Bob P.

9. us820

us820 Active Member

What was the winning score?

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

To my IL friends a job well done. Now I know why Scott was in Michigan the week before practicing for this shoot.

Don

11. spitter

Swimmer...

Hey... the last squad ain't no better than the first... just better for some of us poorer eyesight/marginal light guys who can't see a target going from trees into the sky...

a couple guys are getting old, there may be a spot or two opening up in the near future... (lol)

Jay

12. Swimdad13

Swimdad13 Member

Come'on Spitter, that last squad was a who's who of the NSC. (lol)

13. spitter

Who's Who?! OMG... now the hearing is going too!

14. 100straight

100straight Member

Do you guys shoot 6s or 7s? And, what weight?

Thanks,

Mark

15. joe kuhn

I shoot #6, but the rest shoot #7 as far as I know. Don't tell them...

I shoot 1-1/8 oz for the better feedback. You should see it break targets up close...then move back and try to get smoke from there...working on it. Scott's right, it's not as easy as lead.

Joe

16. scott calhoun

The two highest scores were shot with 1 oz. of #7's.

But I prefer to think it's not the arrow, but the indian. :)

Scott

17. Swimdad13

Swimdad13 Member

I shoot 1oz #7 steel. I agree with Scott; they break if I hit them. If they don't it's on me. My misses are almost always me lifting my head. -Bob.

18. spitter

The winner from the shortest yardage shot 9/8oz of 6s... hmmmm... something to ponder here (lol)...

Jay

Search tags for this page

shooting handicap championship