1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Naperville bum has solar powered computer

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, Sep 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I had to chuckle today as I drove by Scott's tent and saw his solar panels for his computer. You know Naperville is a special place when even the bums live in style.

I stopped and talked to Scott and he's a smart enough guy. His story is long with no gaps for questions. He's been done wrong and he's in it for the long haul. He's not homeless, he's protesting. I'm not going to analyze his situation or suggest a solution. My only point is that it's interesting - something you don't see everyday. The solar collectors are made by Uni-Solar, which you can easily find on the internet. It turns out they went broke, but you can still buy their stuff on line.

While I was talking to Scott a nice young lady drove up and stopped to hand me a potato fritter for Scott. He says he gets a lot of drive by support which is a lot better than what he got downtown. There are many ways to live, eh? Above is a link for a newspaper article about Scott.

joekuhn_2008_030381.jpg

2. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Hi Sorry I don't have pull to get Senior Citizen Housing and could easily end up his neighbor fighting for the sun.

Harry

3. joe kuhn

There's plenty of sun. Don't worry.

4. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Where does a guy who is "destitute" get the funds to have a webpage and solar panels ? If he has a Facebook page, that would also imply he has either a smartphone or laptop. Just asking.

Gene in Illinois

5. archangel

archangel Member

My son who attended college at north central said he is not destitute. Joe what's his story? Mike

6. joe kuhn

He didn't say where he got his money to buy the solar panels or anything else, so I don't know. He has two laptop computers, rechargeable batteries, a camera, bottles of Coke, some peanut butter, plenty of power cords and bundles up for the winter so he must have some clothes in that tent. He also needs a bath, but what do you expect.

A friend of mine from college panhandled for a while as a source of income and he said you can make a lot of money doing that. This guy is on one of the busiest streets in Naperville - Ogden Ave (Rt. 34). In a half hour visit I saw potato fritters come in. My guess is he has plenty of 'friends' who stop by and help his cause.

I believe he chooses to live there. I'm guessing he has had plenty of opportunity to live in a box (house) like the rest of us. Without the resistance from the local government, there just might be a change. The conflict is self-perpetuating, I believe, because that's all he talked about. It's an interesting study. Something in the dynamic needs to change and poof, he'll be gone. I emailed a guy on the city council to get his perspective.

Oops, there I go supposing a resolution.

7. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

If I owned or worked at the ReMax office in front of which he is camped out or if I owned the building, I'd be all over City Council to extend the ordinance that got him out of downtown to the entire town of Naperville. He's camped on property that is what is locally called a 'parkway'. That's the strip of grass between the road and sidewalk. Normally used for water, sewer, electric and other underground lines that serve the buildings nearby, my deed shows that I own the parkway in front of my house, so I assume the owner of the building on Ogden also owns that parkway property. That owner should be raising all kinds of objections with City Council.

I have sympathy for the guy, but not if people are stopping on Ogden Ave to give him food or anything else. Can you imagine being behind some lady traveling 40-45 mph who decides to stop and feed the guy or give him $? That's a traffic hazard. We pay some of the highest property taxes in the nation in this County and part of that goes to shelters and facilities for people like Scott.

Gene in Illinois

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Occupy Naperville???

9. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Be kinda fun to sneak up on his camp one night and spray paint graffiti all over his solar panels. You know, a little Radio Shack and Best Buy type stuff...that's it, some Verizon and Bellsouth Logos and Free Blago smiley faces. Camos, green face, and watches synched for 0400.

10. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Joe:

Do you suppose he'll still be sitting there in mid January or is he a fair weather bum?

sissy

11. joe kuhn

He's an all weather full time bum. Said he bundles up in the winter.

He's hiding behind the right to protest and freedom of religion. My mom says he's lazy. His identity as someone who has had their rights trampled on (in his mind) surely keeps him there. Take that away and he'd be gone. Stop fighting him, cancel the 6 tickets he just received, refund fine money he may have paid, etc. and he'd be out of sight in the forest preserve. I'd stop wasting city resources on this, I tell you that. It's an idea. Doubt it has been tried.

Gene, you must have done a drive by. Is Remax the owner or the rental company for the office building he's camped out by? You made some good points.

I'm going to see my buddy who's on the city council of the neighboring town, Aurora, and see what he thinks about it.

BTW, I did see another homeless person with a shopping cart full of stuff when I stopped to see Scott. She was walking away from Scott's camp. And there's another guy who wanders that area looking down at the ground all the time. My dad used to tell me a story about a guy who lived in a cardboard box in town until it burned down one night. I think he died in the fire.

Compassion and thoughtfulness are in order here - for everyone involved.

Joe

12. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

What's the property taxes on a place like that?

It's like most of America, slowly being taxed into a slum. You should see my hometown. People let their places run down because if they do any improvements, the county collector wants to know all about it. My neighbor claims they stopped by his place one day when he was pouring some "scrap" concrete in his pole barn. The woman told hime if he had a concrete floor instead of gravel he would be re-assessed. Nothing like paying $3-400 a month to live in your own home. 75% of my property taxes go to the school district and I haven't had a kid using those facilities since 1992. Rant off.

Bob Falfa

13. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Joe, the only reason I mentioned ReMax is their sign is fairly prominent outside the building. This usually indicates (1) they own the building or (2) they lease a fair amount of the sq footage and negotiated the right to put up a sign as part of their lease.

Either way, the owner of (or counsel for) the building ought to be at City Council. He should be removed, IMO.

Gene in Illinois

14. joe kuhn

I happened to go by today and noticed he was packing up his backpack to go somewhere. Reminded me of putting my gear in my trunk as I get ready to go somewhere. He has a home. I think we'll be seeing him for quite a while. Just have that feeling...

15. joe kuhn

Drove by last night. He moved across the street and down Iroquois Ave. By the end of the evening he was gone completely. I drove back around to be sure. Not a trace. Heard he was going to jail.

16. joe kuhn

I have to ask myself, why am I so interested in this guy? I think it's because I still catch myself deflecting responsibility for things that are truly up to me. At some point, the world will say, no, it's yours to fix. Good luck to Scott.

17. crusha

crusha TS Member

Guy probabaly just thought to himself..."I try to get some peace and solitude, and this guy won't leave me the hell alone and keeps talking about his weird trapgun - whatever that is! I'm going somewhere a man can get more peace...like Grand Frickin' Station!"

18. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

At the psycho-social level, certain types of graffiti can be very persuasive. Kinda like finding a horse head in your bed.

19. joe kuhn

But, but, Buz! It has been a wake up call for me. Cross-firing was a slap in the face. Has taken a long time to get here.

joekuhn_2008_030358.jpg

20. joe kuhn

Scott disappeared for about a week, but he's back now. He's back on Iroquois Ave around the corner from the site in the picture at top. Didn't stop to chat. Decided complaining about wrongs done to self are his story alone and no longer mine. Adios.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

naperville bum

scott huber naperville bum
tent homeless naperville