1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

N I bought a new Lap Top Puter Need a Wireless

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I bought a new DELL Lap top computer and now I want a wireless device for it. Where is the best place to purchase one, And how much should I be ready to spend?

It is set up wireless ready. The only thing I did not like about it was it did not have a word process feature on it.

I had a disc for Microsoft Works and Dell helped me install it, they hyad to make some changes on my computer remotely on set up.

I never thought I would own a pap top.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

For word processing, I like Microsoft Word. Get the Microsoft Office--it has Word, Excel, etc.

As to "Wireless Device" I don't understand what you are asking for. There are wireless routers, wireless printers, etc.

Does your laptop have Blue Tooth?

I know enough about computers to be dangerous!! I guess I have given you something to think about.

Allen

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Gary--You need a wireless Router. Go to "Best Buy" and they will be able to help you get what you need. You computer has to have a wireless card installed. Most come with one already installed. I use a "Linksys G Router". I actually bought mine at Wal Mart for under a $100. I have a 3 story house plus basement and it will reach everywhere in the house as well as my patio outside. There are "N" routers and "G" routers. Best buy will be able to tell you what type you need based on your computers requirments.

Make sure you encrypt it once installed. Thats basically adding an access password. There will be instructions on all that with the Router and some even come with DVD that you put in your computer. The DVD will walk you thru the whole setup process. If you don't encrypt it, your neighbors with wireless can use your signal and possibly gain access to your computer. I can pick up two of my neighbors signals. Only one of theirs is protected. If i wanted, i could use their wireless signal.

The wireless router is the only way to go with a laptop at home. There is also Celluar wireless internet avaiable so that it could be used anywhere you can get a cell signal. I don't know much at all about the wirless cellular internet.

My computer is a Dell Studio 15 so i would imagine you could use the same router i'm using--Matt

Here is mine.

grntitan_2009_250380.jpg

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Recently I purchased a Verizon MIFI system that utilizes the cell phone towers to allow access to the internet. I am having a lot of problems due to signal strength in the area that I am currently located at. We spend the summer in Wisconsin at a campground. I am located at the foot of a large hill. It has many trees on it and of course this weakens my signal. I am going to try and strengthen my signal by utilizing an add on antenna. Bottom line this system should work well if you are in an area where you have a strong cellular signal. Unfortunately, I am not. Good Luck. Ed

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The Linksys is a good choice. The Linksys router connects to your modem. You plug your printer into one of the four ports on the Linksys router and put a wireless card in your laptop and presto you have a home network!

Jim Skeel

6. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

The routers shown above are good. I have a TRENDnet 150 Mbps router and it is great. It is an "N" router and is rated to have 6x the speed and 3x the coverage of a "G" router.

Allen

7. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Check with your internet provider. My wireless router was free from them.

8. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Gary

You have a pm.

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

For a free "office" program suite, try OpenOffice or LibreOffice. They are free for the download and close to 100% compatible with Micro$oft Office.

If you have a broadband connection at home, then a wireless Router is what you need. Cisco, Linksys, Net Gear, D-Link all make some decent routers. I usually buy the "Gigabit" models for extra speed on any wired devices. Make sure you use WPA2 or better encryption and use secure passwords. Change the default router password and user name as well. Currently, I have a Cisco (Business Class) and a NetGear set up for my home networks. Don't bother with the Cisco "Home User" models, since they are very similar to the Linksys models and cost more. (SAME COMPANY) Some models allow you to set up a "Guest" account. Be sure you encrypt and password it if you do. Once it's set up, turn off the SSID broadcast feature. That way you won't advertise the name of your network router. One more step for a hacker to go through.

If you need mobile access while on the road, an "AirCard" is what you might want to look into. You need to check the coverage maps carefully to be sure that there is coverage in the area you intend to use it in. I have one from Virgin Mobile, which is a pay as you go plan. If you buy it at Wal-Mart, you get a better deal on the mid priced $20 top up cards. they are good for 30 days or 1Gb of data. The unlimited is $50 a month. No need to pay if you aren't going to use it either. You can activate the account for when you need it. $10 for 10 days/100Mb, $20 for 30 days/1Gb or $50 for 30 days 2.5Gb. The coverage is sporadic and sometimes dismal. It works ok in the areas I travel, so it works for me. The actual device is about $79.98 at Wal-Mart. You can also buy one for much more from Verizon and get locked into a monthly, recurring account.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.