1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mythbusters did it again. HA HA HA

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bawana, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I just was the the new show they have that they tried to blow up a shotgun AGAIN. This time they used a PARKER BROTHER HAMMERDAMASCUS BARREL SXS GUN. A PARKER OF ALL THINGS. This time they blew it up on the second try. They also did the lazer in the barrel of a 30-06. They showed the pic of the gun that was on TS.com with the barrel flowered in 4 parts. All they got was a crack. The sniper scope came close. The bullet went 99.9 % through the scope but not in the eye of the sniper. What a pair of crazy people. LOL

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Could someone please give them a H&R to use next time. Or better yet, a ljutic!

ec90t

3. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

I think they must have missed high school physics class. And whoever does their research has been, um, lax. Remember the wooden cannon?

Just a couple days ago I came across a new episode, evidently they got a lot of negative mail about the sniper scope scenario. So do over. Wonder of wonders they now admit it's "plausible". (Don't watch the show any more, but happened on the above while surfing.)

4. Luigi

Luigi TS Member

I spoke to Carlos Hathcock (sic) in North Carolina at a U.S.M.C. base before he
    died and if he said he shot a sniper through the scope then he did it.

5. J.P.

J.P. TS Member

Carlos shot a commie thru the scope, so shoot thru a commie scope. What ever it would have been. If Carlos said it... who the hell amI to argue? The guy was a hero a dozen times over. He was badly burned pulling comrades out of a burning vehicle about to explode. Those Mythbuster gentlemaen never did that. It`s entertainment.

6. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Mr Carlos Hathcock did go beyond what he was to do in the military both as a sniper and as a person. He saved a number of lives when he kept going back and pulling people out of the burning military vihicle. What really hurt him the most was after he did all that the military in the up coming years abandoned him when it came to taking care of him with his health needs. They refused to take care of him and he had to go to gun shows and hoped people would pay to have him sign his book. It was a sad ending for such a brave man.

7. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Unruly

As a retired Marine GySgt the state of medical care for those who served our country is horible. When we signed up we signed a contract with the Government that said we would be taken care of and if we retired we would have medical care. Carlos was MEDICALY Retired at 100% disability at 19 years 6 months. He was very bitter and felt that he had been abaondoned by the Marine Corps. In all right the Marine Corps did what could LEAGALY be done for GySgt Hathcock. He was sufferning from wounds that would have made the average joe give up and look for an easy out.

As a country we are getting ready to repete the same mistakes made with GySgt Hathcock only by pressuring our leaders to focus on what really matters and not most of the issues taken up will we as a nation be able to avoid these mistakes and take care of our own.

Ronbo

8. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I've got a copy of GySgt Hathcock's book that he autographed for me, that I treasure. I agree, he said it happened, so it did. That shot in his book was all I could think about while I watched this Mythbusters episode. Don't know why they couldn't re-create it, but it doesn't matter, it happened. Phil E

9. BP348

BP348 Active Member

Phil,

They couldn't re-create it because they didn't have GySgt Hathcock pulling the trigger.

In todays world people are making bigger and better shots but if you go back and use the same equipment GySgt Hathcock used. It's amazing he was able to make half the shots he made.

10. letts

letts TS Member

I saw the show, as I remember They did it with Military ammo, was not a problem.

Is that not what a sniper would use?

Letts

11. BP348

BP348 Active Member

I believe that snipers get "match grade" ammo. I don't think regular military ammo would cut it.

12. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Hathcock wasn't the only sniper to have done it, there are other well-attested instances. That's what so annoyed me about the research for the first episode on the sniper scenario.

Plus, they took no account at all of distance. It's hard to judge the distance of the shot they took on TV, but I'd be surprised if it was more than 25 yards. It should go without saying that they did NOT reproduce conditions as faithfully as they should. Bullets behave differently at extreme distance versus practically at the muzzle, to put it mildly.

13. brian5003

brian5003 TS Member

Im not saying he did or didnt do it, but why would a bullet behave better at extreme distances rather than close up? Seems to me there would be more of an arc making it more difficult to travel thru a scope.

Please dont take this as an attack of someones ability its just a question.

14. Dutchboy

Dutchboy TS Member

Distance is indeed the factor that they did not control for. At long distance, the slower moving bullet would create much less of a shock to a scope, would deform much less, and penetrate deeper.

It's just a t.v. program...... FWIW, Dutch.

15. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

If they want something to blow up , try the 90t's

16. 682LINY

682LINY Member

long vs short rande ,,,look at a chuck or p-dog thats been hit at 50 yds and one thats been hit at 400 with the same type bullet,,,not a vermint bullit,,,close range,,,blows up before penatrating very much,,,,long range holds together a bit better,,,more penatration

17. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Trpshtr2001,

That was funny!

ec90t

18. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Dutchboy and 682LINY nailed it. I'd be willing to bet Hathcock's shots were taken at much greater range, on average, than 25 yards.

19. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

in the show they used a civilan hunting scope not a military style scope the military style scopes tend to be made with thinner lenses and heavier tubes making for better penatration and on the show they used a 308 and many snipers used 30-06 and now use a .460 variant. much more power and penitration capibilities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.