1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mystery gizmo: chamber locks

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Questor, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Questor

Questor TS Member

What is a chamber lock?

A pair of them came with my Winchester Select trap gun and I thought they were some kind of counterweights. They look like brass slugs that presumably fit into the bore. I didn't find a reference to them in the manual, so I just shrugged them off.

What are these mysterious artifiacts and what are they supposed to do?

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

These mysterious objects allow these firearms to be sold in several states which require them.

3. Questor

Questor TS Member

Shooting Coach:

At first I thought you didn't understand the question, but now I realize that you probably answered it very thoroughly.

I guess that means they don't do anything.

Thanks.

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

My trap gun came with them but the thing I don't like about them is, whats to keep the chamber from rusting if they have been in for some time?

Bill

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Admiral Art

A very astute observation!

The lock I depend on is common sense. When not in use, all firearms are in a very secure safe with two alarm systems and cellular backup. When on the range, if the firearm is not in my hands, it is locked in car with security system which includes ignition lockout. If a carry gun, it is on my person at all times where legally allowed. BTW, my gun insurance will not cover loss of a firearm from an unlocked vehicle.

The way the legal system works, you are liable if the firearm is negligently stored. It is up to a pack of hyenas, uhhh, lawyers, to determine the level of negligence.

If you do not have a bona fide gun safe, you are at risk of loss and legal action.

If the 16 year old crackhead from next door robs your house and steals your guns, it is YOUR fault. (groan)

6. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Who sells these in the USA?

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I was teaching a hunter safety course a couple of years ago and between classes we were talking about storing guns. 1 highway patrolman, 2 deputy sheriffs and a dot officer were among the instructors. They all said the same thing, having your guns with trigger lock AND locked in a safe all that does is tell the judge is that you tried but there is no guarantee you won't be prosecuted.

One good thing is that at least in the county I live in all the law enforcement officers are for the 2nd admendment.

BILL

Grunt.....My Browning combo came with 3 of them.

8. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

even better idea for teachers from Texas who think you should put a loaded shotgun into the bed of the pickup before you let fido out of the truck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.