1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My wife's elderly aunt is sending me a camera

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

My wife

Hello:
    Lately, I have been going to area gun clubs taking pictures. I have six Canon cameras that I love to use. About two years ago my daughter gave me a new digital Canon and it also takes beautiful pictures.

I am a very old fashion type of person, as even my wife says that I am set in my ways. With that being said, I like to use 35 mm film cameras that I have, as to me, they are just more fun to use than the digital.

My wife's elderly aunt called yesterday and mentioned that she is starting to clean out her house. She asked me if I would like a camera that was given to her back in the early 80's that she has never used, as it is still in the original box. It is a Canon AE-1 Program camera. She received this camera as a birthday gift and thought it might be to complicated for her to use, so she purchased a Kodak instamatic instead.

Have any of you ever used a Canon AE-1 before? I looked it up on the computer and it said that it was a very popular camera when it first came out.

Steve Balistreri

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

We used the Canon AE-1 when I was a photographer for the Fire Dept ... They worked fine and took great pictures of the Fire scenes ... The digitals are less complicated and take just as good if not better pictures ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Had an AE-1. Great camera in its time. I suspect, however, once you've discovered the benefits of digital, you won't bother with film cameras. For starters, you can view the photo you just took right away, AND erase it if you don't like it! Third, you never have to buy film again. Need more reasons?

4. senior smoke

Chichay:
    I have lots of film on hand that is just sitting here asking to be used. There was a thread on here recently about trapshooting photography. I think I will also try my hand at that. I have a real nice zoom lens that I will try to take pictures the instance the shot hits the target.
    Steve

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Steve--I like you alot and think in area's your a very wise man. Listen to some of these other fellas and just try a digital. I suspect you resist change as we all tend to do. The digital cameras are the cats meow. They are so simple to use.

My mother fought the idea too. She was like you and knew what she was doing with the film cameras. She always wanted current pictures of the grandkids and would snap away. One time at an important event(grandkids baptism) she took many pics. When she got home that evening she realized the film in the very expensive film camera had stopped advancing after one or two pics. Lesson learned the hard way.

With digital there is never that problem. As stated before, you not only know you have a pic but you can see it immediately. If you don't like it, you can delete it then and there. Also the cards for digitals can hold hundreds of pics. If you fill a card you simply insert another in seconds. When you get home you plug it into your computer and it does the rest. How do you think guys here post their pics so fast? They are already on the computer. You can the easily edit and label them. To print you either buy photo paper and do at home or use the many machines that are idiot proff at Wal Marts and many many other stores now. Just think about it. There are some really simple to use, low cost, big name and great picture taking digital cameras available at most chain stores. Ask some buds at the club to help you if your worried. They will walk you thru it or their not really friends.

Don't take this post as an insult but just a little prod. The other guys that told you to go digital are right and looking out for your needs. If you would do it, you'd love it. Its so simple and decades above film. Thats why nobody uses film anymore.

Matt

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Us old folks need to come out of the dark ages & switch to digital. I did it and you can to Steve. Throw the film away and you will still save $$$. many & IN FACT MOST PRO PHOTOGRAPHERS ARE DIGITAL NOW

7. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Digital is the only way to go. You can take hundreds of pictures to get those special pictures without wasting film. Just push the delete button if you don't like the picture. You can download the pictures to a computer, do your own editing and then take them to a local store and have them printed for as little as $0.09 each. No wasted pictures/film. Have you checked the price to get 24 prints developed anywhere? Went through over 700 photo's take by two family members and myself of the oldest granddaughter's wedding. Wife wanted two sets of pictures (for us and another family member). Ended up taking 189 pictures to Walgreen's and got the whole order of 378 prints done for less than $35. Went crazy taking pictures last week on a dolphin cruise in Panama City. Got some great pictures and a whole lot of not so great pictures. Just deleted the bad ones.

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

One plus of almost all digital cameras is that you can shoot video & sound with them.

Eric

9. oletymer

oletymer Member

I have a Kodak Number one sitting on my shelf. You don't get much older than that. I loved all the film cameras sitting next to it but the digital cameras are far superior. Some things do get better as we get older.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Fah.

Digital is great, but there's nothing wrong with film. Especially slow speed, fine grained film, and specialty films. Digitals excel for ease of use and low cost of operation. They bypass the step of needing a film scanner (or having a lab scan to CD).

But, all too often people set their digitals on fully automatic (ie "Prgram Mode") and wind up simply taking snapshots. A good film camera with a stop down lever (which the AE1 has) will teach you more about photography than most digitals will.

I have several high end lenses that would be costly to replace with digital. So I continue to use film. Canon screwed the pooch when they made their newer cameras and lenses not backward compatible with the older FD series.

As for the AE1, I started with one decades ago. They were the camera my high school used for photography and student newspaper classes. Later I bought one. And recently I inherited my father's AE1 and his T90, plus lenses, to add to my own pile of Canon gear.

My wife has a Canon EOS digital SLR. Excellent camera, but it winds up being used mainly for snapshots.

I need to get a very small digital to put in my pocket for hunting, because I don't want to take a bulkier SLR along. Have not found anything out there I really like at a decent price.

BTW, I'm also still using medium format.

11. grntitan

Good points Brian. There is a difference between photography and just taking snapshots. Snapshots are all most people(myself included) really want. However as stated before, even most of the good photographers are now using digital. I'll give it their cameras are not your Wal Mart varity. They can do anything film can do digitally if ya know what your doing. They can even do B&W, negatives and even add the grainy old look. I think one really needs to be seriously into photography to need more than the average digital. Just my opinion of course.

12. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

Steve -- Have a AE-1 for many years and really like using it. It went on the fritz and when I checked on repair cost I was quoted $150-$170. I brought a Nikon 35 mm camera and when that broke I switched to a Nikon Digital. Later got my AE-1 fixed for under $25.00 including return postage. I still like the AE-1 because it is heavier and less prone to shaking. Have extra lens for it so if you decide to accept it and use it let me know and we can talk about my camera & the extra lens I have. PS – I live in Caledonia and I think I have a Jack Seehouse used recoil pad somewhere in the basement. E-mail address is efish1@wi.rr.com.

13. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Steve:

I have two AE-I Programs, An older AE-1 and several lenses, filters, flashes and tripods. I know how to use them and they take great pictures.

That said, my next camera will be a digital Canon in that you can take pictures, see what they look like, delete what you don't like and take more before you have them printed.

I had a digital Canon, about $400 worth, but my daughter took it and she won't give it back.

If you use the AE-I, read the manual first. All you do is set the camera to "auto", focus and shoot. The camera will make all of the adjustments for you.

Ed Ward

14. quartering

quartering Active Member

my phone takes better pictures than my camera and it's easier to use. good luck with it

15. senior smoke

Matt:
    I also have a digital cannon, I use it for holidays with the family. I like film, especially like black and white. There is a warmth compared to color. I recently shot in black and white my 97 year old neighbor before he moved to a nursing home. Black and white showed every line in his 97 year old face. As they say, each line has a story to tell. Maybe it's me, but I love black and white film.

My wife just read what I wrote and asked me if I fell on my head today. She doesn't understand my logic. She requested that I tell all of you the story of when I was a young boy when my father was contemplating paying $40,000.00 for a hamburger franchise that had customers burgers already prepared, instead of making them after you sat down and ordered. I talked him out of obtaining the franchise as I said it would never catch on. That hamburger joint was a place called Mcdonald's, ever hear of them?

As my wife will testify, I am stuck in the past and proud of it. I may also be one of the most stubborn men on this planet, no brag, just fact. Like "go fish" mentioned, I miss the old days of trapshooting too when I used Jack Seahouse and the green and yellow Jenkins recoil pads. Those were the days. I am not saying I am old fashion and stuck in the past but recently my nephew asked me what job do I think would be a good at after graduating from high school? I said possibly consider a job of being a milkman.
    Steve

16. grntitan

Steve--You don't have to justify your decision with me or anybody else. Ok maybe your wife but thats another story. :) I understand your points and as Brian above stated, there are differences. I'll only state that there is so much more a digital can do than a film camera. That said there is some things that just can't be replacated. You'll enjoy your new camera. All men are stubborn in some ways. We like to hang onto good memories and sometimes its items like your film cameras that spark them.

Actually in some areas the Milkman jobs are making a return. We get glass bottled milk here and there is absolutely no comparison between it and the plastic jugs. Its actually bottled in the next town over(Chester, IL). The brand is Farm Fresh. Their chocolate milk in the glass bottles is to die for. Its not delivered door to door here yet but i'v heard talk of it.

Matt

17. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

yeah i had an ae-1 program for years, then moved up to the ai, both stolen, i wish i had them back

18. senior smoke

grntitan:
    That's what is wrong in this day and age, not enough milkmen. When I was a kid, I remember like it was yesterday, my mom filling out the card and sticking it in the milk shoot.

On a cold Wisconsin morning, nothing tasted better than a cold glass of milk poured from a glass bottle while my mom served breakfast. Sometimes, I wonder if my grandchildren will have a great childhood filled with good memories like I had. I hope so.

As a child I remember the ice men with their tongs and leather pad on their shoulder. My mom placing her order for ice in our window. Any of you remember the men that delivered coal? They would stick a shoot in our basement window directly into our coal bin. Those guys sure looked dirty by the end of the day.

My boy just dropped over and was reading what I was writing. He said how old are you? you were alive before refrigerators? He's laughing when I told him it was a big deal when we got our first television too. It had a small screen with a mirror in front of it so the screen would look larger than it was. A few years later my dad got some pink cellophane and put it over the screen and walla, we had colored tv, although everyone looked pink. I miss the days when a neighbor lady would drop over and ask my mom if she could borrow a couple of eggs and she would go grocery shopping later and give them back to her.

People seem unfriendly in this day and age. If I had a time machine I would live back in the 50's when a man without a college degree could support his family with a factory job. When men were men, and mothers of our children did not have to work outside the home. I was very lucky to live my life in the nicest time period, the 50's.
    Steve

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"...most of the good photographers are now using digital."</i>

No argument there.

We use top of the line Canon digitals at work. I have four Mark IVs on my desk that are totally worn out, and are awaiting trade in credit. There's not much finish even left on them. Each of these has shot more photos than most people will in a lifetime. We rarely use film anymore.

Digital has greatly displaced film, usually for the better. Even so, digital have their place, and film has its place. Recently, though, the gap has narrowed between film types and digital cameras. There are now mode settings that will mimic the low contrast, pastel hues of color portrait film. Or the higher contrast and vivid colors of slide film. Another setting will enhance grain. And there are black and white channels that will mimic various types of black and white film, like orthochromatic or panchromatic.

But my concern is that while these technological advances are amazing, they lose something without the understanding of what they are, and the best way to understand that, I believe, is to actually use film and learn it's characteristics, limitations, and qualities.

20. senior smoke

Brian:
    Your comments make sense. My son wants me to try his Nikon L120 digital camera that he recently purchased. He said he really likes it. I like camera's with a powerful zoom lens. I have never owned a Nikon camera, mostly Canon. He told me that more professional photographers use Nikon then any other camera. I wonder if a Nikon rep told him that, or it if it is true.

Does anyone really know what caused the bad blood between Canon and Nikon over the years? Is it just two competing camera companies fighting for the same sales market?
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.