1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

My wife is now addicted to Trap Shgooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Oscar Ray, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I may have made a mistake....I took my wife to the club 3 weeks ago when I went for practice, she decided to try shooting and got bit by the bug HARD!!!!! She is shooting a Model 12 and really likes it. 1 of the very good shooters took her underwing and had her doing fairly well for a 1st timer. She did better last week and had a smile that you could not wipe off her face with sand paper.

We went this afternoon and in the wind, she broke 20 on her 1st trap. I could not have been more proud of her and all the guys told her how well she did and gave her alot of encouragemnet.

We stopped by a small local gunshop and while talking to the owner, I mentioned that we had just finished practice and how well my wife did, and he said, you have to see this, and pulled out a like new Remingtion 1100 Synthetic Competition. It only had 1 box of shells through it (the man that brought it in had bought it for his grandson, and the grandson hated it) It had the box, all the paperwork and 5 chokes.

My wifes eyes lit up like a kid at Christmas, and when she put the gun up to her shoulder, it fit like a glove. The owner asked me if I knew how much that gun was new and I told him I did. He then said, "So, would you want it for $725?

My wife had walked away to look at something, and I told him I would take it, but would be back to get it later, because I was gonna surprise her with it.

I think I will let her get some more time with the model 12 to get the basics down then give her her new gun.

I am thankful that my spouse likes to do the things that I do and we enjoy spending our time together, and a NEW TRAPSHOOTER is brought into the fold!

Oscar
  2. cwbanker

cwbanker Member

You got off cheap - My wife's gun is a Beretta 682 Gold E combo and she is shooting it better every week. She has about 2,000 registered targets under her belt and I don't think there is any turning back. She shot some of the Federal top guns in Red, white & blue and claims the blue ones miss too many targets. I think she has been hanging around too many of the older shooters and picked up on some of their stories lol.
  3. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Member

Welcome to the club. My wife loves to shoot. She now has a better gun than I do , but she bought me a new loader to keep up with our shooting demands. You two will have great times together .
  4. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For me it was the other way around! My other half introduced me to trap! I was a gun nut anyhow, we met and she asked what I like to do. I told her shoot and blow stuff up, she said ME TOO!

It was love right from the start, she took me home showed me all her trophys. The next week she took me to a few clubs. Everyone knew her!!!!

She had sold her gun to pay bills whilst married to her daughters dad, we spent 2 weeks looking for a replacement gun for her and a new 1 for me. That was January 2009.

She still has the Citori she got to replace her old Citori, I am on my 6th trap gun(I still have3)

makes it soooooooooo much easier to go to shoots and justify new shooting stuff lol.

Jerry Lewis
  5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

CWBANKER: those blue ones do shoot crooked, all over thye polace except where you are looking. She's right.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot
  6. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Funny how these things happen.

My wife would always go to the club with me BUT not touch a gun. She enjoyed the guys, and being in the kitchen with the girls. Next thing I knew, I got a gun in her hands, that was in 1985 and it was all over after that..

She later on was asked to run for President of the club, and had her stint in that part of shooting.

I have no regrests at all, as it sure is a lot of fun having someone along that enjoysthe same interest as me.

Dave in SC
  7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I shot with an amazing handicap shooter last week. He was phenomenal, but his wife was absolutely horrible! I later went on ATA and looked up his average, which was impressive. When his name came up, I couldn't help but notice that his wife had shot over 50,000 targets (most of them apparently with both eyes closed). It occurred to me that he'd have saved a lot of money by leaving the shot out of her shells, LOL.

-Gary
  8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

The important part of that is you are bothing doing something you like ( together)
  9. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

If she was doing well with the M12 , why change?
  10. DON JR

DON JR TS Member

My wife also got into trap shooting,when she was shooting good everything was great,but on her bad days i wish i wasnt even there.

A friend had warned me,his words dont let your wife shoot,you will regret it.

but not all women are the same, good luck.
  11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Active Member

Congrats, my wife has no desire at all to shoot. I've offered but no dice.She encourages me to shoot but she just can't wrap her head around the idea.
  12. darr

darr Active Member

I wish mine was.We get along good and she goes to alot of shoots with me.Sometimes I feel a little guilty.She just can't concentrate for 25 targets let alone 100.She enjoys shooting .22 rifles and pistols,but just plinking.Any way good for you.

DSarr
  13. Lawman214

Lawman214 TS Member

I know some guys head to the club to get away from their wives. Not me. In addition to being my spouse, my wife is my best friend. Then again, we've been together over 32 years. When she told me she wanted to take up trapshooting, I couldn't have been happier. Ever since we took up the game, we have had an absolute blast. Our current league team is comprised of three couples. We aren't going to instill much fear in the front runners, but I seriously doubt if anyone else is having more fun than we are. Getting the wife involved in the shooting sports may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it works for me!

Mark B.
  14. daddiooo

daddiooo Active Member

Mine never had interest in shooting until I started going to state shoots here in the southeast and staying 3 and 4 days. One Sunday night as I was returning from the NC state shoot she met me at the door and said "buy me a gun, I'm tired of being a trap widow". That was 2002. 10 happy years later we usually don't squad together but we go to all the state and zone shoots together. It's really brought us closer together. To enjoy this sport with my wife is great.

Occasionally she beats me at singles and I have to hear it all the way home and most of the next week too. But hey, I'm happy for her.

Oscar....enjoy it while you can....life's short. Good luck to the both of you.
  15. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Mark in Maine,

She is doing pretty good with the Model 12, I am putting the 1100 away for her, and when she decides she wants a new gun "Voila" she will have it. She does not know that I am getting it.

Thanks for all the support, I really think it is great that she wanted to get into Trap shooting, 1 of the older women on my club team already has her penciled in for the team in the fall. My wife really enjoys all the camraderie that the shooters have with each other. Alot of the guys gave me the business when she broke a 20 on that first trap Tues nite, and she was laughing and said "Boy ya gotta have a thick skin around here".

Oscar
  16. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

My wife shoots a Joel Etchen 687 combo with EELL wood. Plus a Gold E 682 for sporting clays. She now shoot over 10k a year.
    All I wanted was to have her come shooting with me. Now she go's by her self when I'm at work.
  17. Scootermac50

Scootermac50 Member

Send all those blue ones my way.... I will straighten them out!
  18. osmunal

osmunal TS Member

Same happened to me - my wife started with a JC Higgens auto, loved trap, and promptly took over my 1100 Competition. She's having a ball, and has gotten a couple of 22's and is encouraged. Everyone at the club we shoot at has been nothing but supportive and given us some great tips. Also, it's something we can do together. I reload, she cooks - what a deal!
  19. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Active Member

It may be mostly the other sport, they do on ocacssion shoot trap,

We have a couple that shoots together, I have a fine time getting her to say she out shot him, she ussually does, but he has to be out of hearing range beofre she speaks up.

A couple doing things together is awesome! shooting sports because that is what I like is super!

Al
  20. shrek

shrek Member

Oscar,

I think that is really neat that your wife enjoys shooting. It is very nice to do something together that you both enjoy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.